Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2009, 10:20 AM

275 posts, read 793,644 times

Advertisements

Gov. Paterson blamed a racist media Friday for trying to push him out of next year's election - launching into an angry rant that left even some black Democrats shaking their heads.

"The whole idea is to get me not to run in the primary," Paterson complained on a morning radio show hosted by Daily News columnist Errol Louis.

He suggested that Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick, the country's only other African-American governor, also is under fire because of his race.

"We're not in the post-racial period," Paterson said.

"The reality is the next victim on the list - and you can see it coming - is President Barack Obama, who did nothing more than trying to reform a health care system."

Read more: Gov. David Paterson blames calls for him to step aside on race

I love it when a politician never takes personal responsibility for his own shortcomings and has to resort to playing the "race card". Makes me sorry to say I am a NY native after this. Why can't we move on already?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 11:10 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,546,642 times
Paterson was a bad Governor long before this happened. He is under fire because he has done absolutely nothing to help NY & instead of helping solve the issues that led to the deadlocked Senate & eventual power struggle he only fueled the fire and created more drama. I consider myself a Democrat (and a very liberal one at that) but Paterson is no friend of mine ......... if only Elliot could have kept his Mod cut: language in his pants how things might have been different

Last edited by Viralmd; 08-23-2009 at 03:28 PM.. Reason: Language

Old 08-22-2009, 10:56 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,450,395 times
The thing is... Paterson was so Mod cut: language. Everyone agrees the NYS budget is ridiculous but nobody wants to be accountable for any cuts.

That said, I'm very much hoping that Andrew Cuomo runs in the primary and wins. NYS needs Andrew Cuomo.

Last edited by Viralmd; 08-23-2009 at 03:29 PM..

Old 08-23-2009, 09:41 AM

9,173 posts, read 13,259,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
The thing is... Paterson was soMod cut: language. Everyone agrees the NYS budget is ridiculous but nobody wants to be accountable for any cuts.

That said, I'm very much hoping that Andrew Cuomo runs in the primary and wins. NYS needs Andrew Cuomo.
My impression is, right off the bat Paterson got off on the wrong track by standing up to NY State public employee unions that are killing this state. I don't remember what the exact issues were but I do remember being suprised that a New York Democrat is actually standing up for New York taxpayers.

However, the unions evidently have friends in the press who started a vendetta and smear campaign against him.

Last edited by Viralmd; 08-23-2009 at 03:29 PM..

Old 08-23-2009, 12:14 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,999,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlandoyankee View Post
gov. Paterson blamed a racist media friday for trying to push him out of next year's election - launching into an angry rant that left even some black democrats shaking their heads.

"the whole idea is to get me not to run in the primary," paterson complained on a morning radio show hosted by daily news columnist errol louis.

He suggested that massachusetts gov. Deval patrick, the country's only other african-american governor, also is under fire because of his race.

"we're not in the post-racial period," paterson said.

"the reality is the next victim on the list - and you can see it coming - is president barack obama, who did nothing more than trying to reform a health care system."

read more: gov. David paterson blames calls for him to step aside on race

i love it when a politician never takes personal responsibility for his own shortcomings and has to resort to playing the "race card". Makes me sorry to say i am a ny native after this. Why can't we move on already?
i am not voting for him.........................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-24-2009, 10:49 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,102,322 times
Correct me if i'm wrong but didn't he "inherit" the position by virtue of his bosses misconduct? I also find it sad that a state is held hostage by the unions rather than the voters who placed them in office. I don't know who your candidates/next governer will be but I hope they have the ability to make the necessary cuts and get things back on track.

I can't wait to get our governer out of office!

Old 08-25-2009, 05:03 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,502,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Correct me if i'm wrong but didn't he "inherit" the position by virtue of his bosses misconduct? I also find it sad that a state is held hostage by the unions rather than the voters who placed them in office. I don't know who your candidates/next governer will be but I hope they have the ability to make the necessary cuts and get things back on track.

I can't wait to get our governer out of office!
Keep in mind that Spitzer was a wonderful guy (in relative terms for a politician, mind you) until he started making certain investment bankers and the SEC uncomfortable over in Manhattan.

Vicious circle, ain't it?

Old 08-25-2009, 05:08 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,959,243 times
Funny he blames the media because NY is one of the most liberal news media outlets in the US. In fact most of the time I would say they are racist toward "white" people...cops in particular. Time and time again they give Al Sharpton his publicity stunts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
View detailed profiles of: