Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2013, 10:21 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,595,306 times

Advertisements

How's that crime-free city with a booming economy and top notch public schools in Miami treating you Matt?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 10:31 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,548,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_tmpsn View Post
Y'all all just need to shut up and get over it. We can talk how we want, deep fry anything we want, and call anyone we want a Yankee or a ******(if that makes y'all feel better) the reason we don't like y'all from up north is because your all rude, and arrogant just like y'all are actin. So kiss my country ass
Well this post colors YOU pretty arrogant. Shall America judge all southerners on you and your similar minded simpletons? I should jolly well hope not! Else-wise I and my fellow Louisiana citizens with an education under our belt would be cast in with the angry dregs of southern society.

Not all Yankees are bad people, and clearly not all southerners are hospitable. Don't dishonor the south with your venom and hatred. We are better than that.

Old 05-31-2013, 03:43 AM

3 posts, read 6,611 times
Default HaneOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Sean,

Until you've lived in the South you have NO idea! Visiting doesn't cut the mustard on this. And NO this does NOT describe any small town in Upstate NY. I know exactly what she's talking about and it's a totally different world down here. It's really like a foreign country. Some parts around me I honestly believe on par with third world countries. It really is just about THAT bad! It's sad really. And no one in NY is STILL fighting the Civil War!
I know not one southerner that still fighting. I meet a lot of Yankees that still want to change us, putting up fences, call the people every fifth teen minutes asking for them to ride by. Now Reconstruction is totally a different thing More than 50,000 white women and children were raped and murdered by Yankees and Africans between 1865 and 1877. If I hated this place so bad and it made me so sad I would move back to my evil empire and start loving those 5 weeks of summer.

Old 05-31-2013, 03:47 AM

3 posts, read 6,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
But you came down here and didnt adjust yourself. It ISNT the culture you grew up with, it isnt the manners you grew up with. You moved to an entirely different area and didnt adapt to that area's ways and manners.

THAT is one of the key annoyances down here with transplants. WE DONT CARE HOW YOU DID IT WHERE YOU CAME FROM. You adapt to US first, then you might find a more receptive audience to changes. You come down here telling us 'We did it this way in NY, we had this, you should all have more this..etc. Yeah, thats going to get you a nasty reaction, same as if I went to YOUR home state/town and started bashing it or criticizing it.
I didnt go to NY expecting people to adapt to me, I went and I had to adapt, even only temporarily, to THEIR ways of doing things, of speaking, etc.

Same goes for you. The statements you made were assinine and whiny. Before you go bashing an entire area of people (and you did!), you might want to look AT YOURSELF and think 'What could *I* have done to provoke that reaction'.
I can almost guarantee you you did SOMETHING to provoke that kind of rudeness from a Southern person, especially if it happened more than once. We dont typically end a pleasant conversation with that kind of statement. More than likely you came across as a know-it-all ass, as so many Northerners do (albeit sometimes unintentionally).

I have heard 'yinz' as well as 'yous' and BOTH are horrid and grate on my ears.
Help save the south put a Yankee on A bus!

Yes, you have a chip on you shoulder! It's not where your from, or what you did or how many coons you left behind! It's all about how treat folks once you get here!

Last edited by Count David; 05-31-2013 at 03:59 AM..

Old 05-31-2013, 06:13 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,761,239 times
Seriously now... who lifted the lid of the crazy box?

Old 06-01-2013, 08:51 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HangOne View Post
I know not one southerner that still fighting. I meet a lot of Yankees that still want to change us, putting up fences, call the people every fifth teen minutes asking for them to ride by. Now Reconstruction is totally a different thing More than 50,000 white women and children were raped and murdered by Yankees and Africans between 1865 and 1877. If I hated this place so bad and it made me so sad I would move back to my evil empire and start loving those 5 weeks of summer.

Even if true, after all these years get the hell over it. You don't know anyone who was effected by this war, as it was well over a century ago.

Plenty of people have been killed in wars worldwide, and yes, sadly, women do get raped in them. But whatever, get the hell out of the past and deal with present reality.

Old 06-01-2013, 01:34 PM

289 posts, read 399,903 times
Save the North put a Yankee on a bus down south. Really just a thought why would a real southerner who is still upset about the civil war , be reading a NYC thread. I smell a southerner imposter.
look at the people who live in New York City for the diversity , complaining about the diversity. Nice living the New York City lifestyle on credit cards. How many locals with familys have the time to take l the so called cultrual and sightseeing? They work work work. I know plenty of people who lived in the buro's and never been too the statue of liberty or the empire state building. Then one day you look in the mirror and ur old , family you never seen because of work are gone. Wow the food , culture and the bagels were well worth it. Then you have some how only been here a fews years complaining about rent control / stabilized apts. Why are we paying so much. Forget about the person lived bere and worked here their whole life while it was a crap shoot if today is ur time to become a victim

Old 06-01-2013, 05:38 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,102,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HangOne View Post
Are you kidding me bring up alleged events from 150+ years ago..

The war is over, the south lost and I am sure if you spoke with African Americans today they could point out far more attrocities that happened to their ancesters right throught the civil rights movement in the 60's.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:19 PM

8 posts, read 23,831 times
I just discovered this forum and wanted to share my experience. I moved to Raleigh in the early 80's from the Mid-Hudson Valley, got a job that I liked, eventually met my spouse, we built a house we enjoyed, and then got transferred to the metro DC area in the late 90's where we are today. What I experienced as a New Yorker was not all that great. North Carolinians can be quite insular, they like to be around other southerners and very few seem to be interested in being friends with folks from other parts of the country (especially anyone from NY State). I quickly learned never to compare anything, or make any comment when the subject of the War Between the States or anything related to it came up. Don't have much of a NY accent but I'd always be asked "Where you from?" (sometimes by folks who were genuinely interested but most times by people who couldn't wait to make a snarky comment about NY and New Yorkers). It's hot as Hades and the humidity is unbelievable. We've lived in northern Virginia for 12 years and like it. Lots of jobs here (but houses are expensive; traffic can be tough). No one ever comments on my accent, maybe because the population here consists of people from all over the USA, lots of Europeans and Asians. It's a little less hot and humid here, you can hop the Metro and visit museums, art galleries, go to professional sporting events (football, hockey, basketball and baseball), etc. The public schools here are highly rated. But...if I could, I'd move back to New York State. No longer have relatives there but I miss the beauty of the Hudson Valley, being able to hop on the train and be in Manhattan in a little over an hour, good pizza & bagels, etc. One more thing: check the archives in the Washington Post for a recent article on the political situation in NC right now and what the state legislature and governor are planning to do to cut costs. If you do move south, settle in an area with lots of folks from other parts of the country.

Old 06-09-2013, 12:00 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,548,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zee703 View Post
I just discovered this forum and wanted to share my experience. I moved to Raleigh in the early 80's from the Mid-Hudson Valley, got a job that I liked, eventually met my spouse, we built a house we enjoyed, and then got transferred to the metro DC area in the late 90's where we are today. What I experienced as a New Yorker was not all that great. North Carolinians can be quite insular, they like to be around other southerners and very few seem to be interested in being friends with folks from other parts of the country (especially anyone from NY State). I quickly learned never to compare anything, or make any comment when the subject of the War Between the States or anything related to it came up. Don't have much of a NY accent but I'd always be asked "Where you from?" (sometimes by folks who were genuinely interested but most times by people who couldn't wait to make a snarky comment about NY and New Yorkers). It's hot as Hades and the humidity is unbelievable. We've lived in northern Virginia for 12 years and like it. Lots of jobs here (but houses are expensive; traffic can be tough). No one ever comments on my accent, maybe because the population here consists of people from all over the USA, lots of Europeans and Asians. It's a little less hot and humid here, you can hop the Metro and visit museums, art galleries, go to professional sporting events (football, hockey, basketball and baseball), etc. The public schools here are highly rated. But...if I could, I'd move back to New York State. No longer have relatives there but I miss the beauty of the Hudson Valley, being able to hop on the train and be in Manhattan in a little over an hour, good pizza & bagels, etc. One more thing: check the archives in the Washington Post for a recent article on the political situation in NC right now and what the state legislature and governor are planning to do to cut costs. If you do move south, settle in an area with lots of folks from other parts of the country.
I can say one thing for Louisiana. As long as you don't impede on their ways, they will befriend anybody from anywhere here.

They might jokingly pick at you for being a Yankee, but they mean it in good fun when you've established yourself. One thing I've learned about this state is many people here just want to have and be fun. It has it's sticks in the mud for sure, usually old white people from Baton Rouge with the personality of cardboard, but it is not the standard.

When I came here years ago I did make the mistake of treating people how I treated them back home. Our sense of humor up north was more offensive, we could call each other bad names and laugh about it, we were painfully blunt about everything, and we do tend to be more materialistic (though not by much these days), but down here it's not quite like that. People prefer the nicer side of things. It took me a while to adjust.

While I do miss parts of my heritage in the north (I always will, naturally), I have come to appreciate the good sides of Louisiana for what they are. Will I always live here? Not likely. I don't think I can ever truly fit in politically or religiously. But I will proudly say I have a little southern in me now thanks to the ol' bayous. I feel I am a better person all around for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York