Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2012, 05:00 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,669,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawbsta louie View Post
Why are yankees so pasty white and ashen ? Is this a vitamin D deficiency or just the rickets ? and also is it true some new york women have hairy backs . A friend of mine says he used to wax his girlfriends back . . i just chalked it up to being slovic or something . or from OHIO . Thanks for sharing and bless yalls heart. im gonna eat a gyro now . i lika da sauce.
Northern relatives of Honey Boo Boo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 02:56 PM

1 posts, read 2,666 times
Default southern now nothern

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeeangel View Post
They're moving back up north because the people down here are so darned rude and mean. They do NOT like Yankees, make it well known that they do NOT like Yankees, and will NOT let you forget it. Been here since 1978 and would leave yesterday if not that my family is here. IF I could talk my kids into, we would move right back to my little slice of heaven in WNY.
southern people are just as good and educated and serve different food as any other state in the us does.and yes bugs are bad but in ct. they are too!it's the north thats rude southern whites and blacks have respect and hospitality for their neighbors....and you are a very negative person and you talk like your prejudice....your saying elvis was a hillbilly and racist and the judds and reba and carrie,and oprah!my god!sending prayers to you cause you are acting like its still about slavery and civil war.....hope you don't get to fat on gravy and biscuits!!I sure do miss them cause the north only serves greasy bacon and greasy pizza and fat burgers.......and drugs............................................. .........

Old 03-22-2013, 06:16 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,629,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanscom1 View Post
southern people are just as good and educated and serve different food as any other state in the us does.and yes bugs are bad but in ct. they are too!it's the north thats rude southern whites and blacks have respect and hospitality for their neighbors....and you are a very negative person and you talk like your prejudice....your saying elvis was a hillbilly and racist and the judds and reba and carrie,and oprah!my god!sending prayers to you cause you are acting like its still about slavery and civil war.....hope you don't get to fat on gravy and biscuits!!I sure do miss them cause the north only serves greasy bacon and greasy pizza and fat burgers.......and drugs............................................. .........
Just as educated? South Carolina is 49th and Mississippi is 50th for education in the US. NY is in the mid-30's. MA is 1st. So how exactly are they just as educated?

Plenty of people of all colors are very rude to people who aren't southern. Heard it every day while I lived in SC. Still waiting for some of that hospitality to happen.

I don't eat biscuits or gravy. I also don't eat greasy bacon, greasy pizza, or fat burgers. Funny thing. The South has cornered the deep fried market. Fried chicken... Chitterlings... Fried mac & cheese... Fried green tomatoes... Fried pickles (seriously?)... Fried green beans... I think my arteries are hardening just typing this!

Old 03-22-2013, 09:15 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,825,988 times
The stereotypes being thrown around on this thread are asinine. You can eat anything you want in anyplace in America. You are in control of what you put in your mouth. Pass up the bbq stand in NC or SC and hit the watermelon stand for healthier food. The South has Whole Foods, Trader Joes, etc, you can get plenty of healthy food there. Pass up the cheesesteak in Philly and the garbage plate in Rochester and go to Wegmans.

Want good schools? Move to where schools are good.

I've seen fried Oreos in the Northeast. You can get fried food in Ithaca (a health conscious area) or lots of healthy vegetarian meals. Its your choice: KFC or Moosewood?

NY has a wealth of farms and guess what, so does NC. Farmers markets are not NY exclusive: Raleigh Downtown Farmers Market

The rudeness that all Southerners somehow possess is such nonsense its laughable. Yet in thread after thread on here, you can read how many people from NY comment on how friendly people are down South.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:50 AM

93,401 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
The stereotypes being thrown around on this thread are asinine. You can eat anything you want in anyplace in America. You are in control of what you put in your mouth. Pass up the bbq stand in NC or SC and hit the watermelon stand for healthier food. The South has Whole Foods, Trader Joes, etc, you can get plenty of healthy food there. Pass up the cheesesteak in Philly and the garbage plate in Rochester and go to Wegmans.

Want good schools? Move to where schools are good.

I've seen fried Oreos in the Northeast. You can get fried food in Ithaca (a health conscious area) or lots of healthy vegetarian meals. Its your choice: KFC or Moosewood?

NY has a wealth of farms and guess what, so does NC. Farmers markets are not NY exclusive: Raleigh Downtown Farmers Market

The rudeness that all Southerners somehow possess is such nonsense its laughable. Yet in thread after thread on here, you can read how many people from NY comment on how friendly people are down South.
Generally, people are friendly down South, but like any other region, you have those that will talk about you behind your back or display a passive aggressive attitude. So, even that aspect isn't that much different, except in terms of how soon or when it is displayed.

Also, I think in terms of health, people are thinking in terms of differences in things like this: Issue Brief: Analysis of Obesity Rates by State - Trust for America's Health

Coloradans Least Obese, West Virginians Most for Third Year

The 10 States Most Addicted to Smoking - Health Mobile

Smoking | The State of State Health

I think that the aspect of walkability/car dependence may have something to do with this, but I agree that it is a matter of choice.

Old 03-23-2013, 06:28 AM

506 posts, read 1,026,016 times
I have said it before and I will say it again, the attitudes that are observed in people one interacts with are often related to the vibes that are put out by the one doing the observing.

Old 03-23-2013, 06:35 AM

93,401 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exupstateny View Post
I have said it before and I will say it again, the attitudes that are observed in people one interacts with are often related to the vibes that are put out by the one doing the observing.
This can be anywhere and that is true, but as a person that has been down South and has Southern parents, you do have those that don't want Northerners moving down there for whatever reason. I think the cities are generally different than the smaller towns in that regard, but it does happen. It isn't something that is blatant though.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:01 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,272,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exupstateny View Post
That's coming from someone who hates hot weather and holds all Southerners in contempt.

Gee golly its hard to believe the locals didn't take to her. If I was a southerner and I seem her coming I'd have the words "go home" ready from 100 feet.

Of coarse I hate NY weather and hold all the people in contempt but I'm local.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:20 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,825,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
That's coming from someone who hates hot weather and holds all Southerners in contempt.

Gee golly its hard to believe the locals didn't take to her. If I was a southerner and I seem her coming I'd have the words "go home" ready from 100 feet.

Of coarse I hate NY weather and hold all the people in contempt but I'm local.
What a difference from:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/6822394-post29.html

and there's tons more but I don't care enough to be bothered with it

Old 03-23-2013, 12:46 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,272,140 times
I blew another 6-8 inches of wet heavy Spring off my driveway this morning.

The reason nobody knows anybody here is the weather has us locked inside most of the year.

And even if you go from your heated house to heated car and drive 3 hours to Gore to freeze for afew hours sking it still doesn't help you know the folks next door.

I've lived in this house for 11 years and I don't know a single person within a mile. Now I'm kinda a introvert but in a normal state you'd find at least an extrovert or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York