Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 09:45 AM

34,179 posts, read 47,465,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
Lol, his office is on 125th St. in the NYCHA building... that should make some people pause for a minute, but really, 125th St. is just a normal block of Manhattan.. you can't really base anything about Harlem on that one block. If you were just randomly placed in that area, you wouldn't be able to tell you were in Harlem.

Harlem has good and bad spots, it's a very big neighborhood, you're going to have to do some exploring to find out which spaces you're comfortable in. Everyone has a different level of comfortableness, but you should find something satisfying. The good thing is that many parts of Harlem are reasonably priced, and would not be a long commute to campus, so there should be something to help your needs there.
NYCHA building? u mean the state building

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 04:37 PM

468 posts, read 2,361,510 times
I'm pretty sure that Clinton's office is on the top floor of the large office building on the north side of 125th between Lenox and 5th Ave... not in the State Office building. But I'm also pretty sure Clinton doesn't spend too much time there, and when he does he's chauffeured into the office's back garage from his home in Chappaqua and doesn't regularly set foot on the street in Harlem unless he's specifically looking to cause a scene and shake hands and such.

Old 04-17-2010, 04:40 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,993,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passdoubt View Post
I'm pretty sure that Clinton's office is on the top floor of the large office building on the north side of 125th between Lenox and 5th Ave... not in the State Office building. But I'm also pretty sure Clinton doesn't spend too much time there, and when he does he's chauffeured into the office's back garage from his home in Chappaqua and doesn't regularly set foot on the street in Harlem unless he's specifically looking to cause a scene and shake hands and such.
Yea, I think so too, because when I went to the NYCHA office, which is located betwen Lenox and 5th.. there was a guy who walked in and said he an appointment with Clinton, so I only assumed that was his building, lol.

Old 04-17-2010, 08:40 PM

11,328 posts, read 18,954,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
Lol, his office is on 125th St. in the NYCHA building... that should make some people pause for a minute, but really, 125th St. is just a normal block of Manhattan.. you can't really base anything about Harlem on that one block. If you were just randomly placed in that area, you wouldn't be able to tell you were in Harlem.

Harlem has good and bad spots, it's a very big neighborhood, you're going to have to do some exploring to find out which spaces you're comfortable in. Everyone has a different level of comfortableness, but you should find something satisfying. The good thing is that many parts of Harlem are reasonably priced, and would not be a long commute to campus, so there should be something to help your needs there.
But his presence there did spark a change in Harlem; lots of chain retailers and banks now on 125th, etc.

While I don't want to repeat much of what has been already said here, the truth is, while there are still parts of Harlem I'd consider "sketchy" it's a LOT different than it was as recently as the early 90s. From the late 60s until then, even if a bit exaggerated (at least compared to areas like East New York in Brooklyn or the South Bronx at that time), when you heard the word "Harlem", you thought ghetto, and it was a place that white dudes dared not go into (and if they did outside of being a cop it was assumed they were buying or selling drugs). I think the only people who think that today are bigots over 45 who remember the 70s and the "crack era" and haven't taken notice of the changes or who just assume that a "majority minority" area automatically means poverty, crime and drugs.

Old 05-02-2010, 01:59 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,943,560 times
Harlem is VERY safe...... if you look for problems you will find them not only in Harlem but in any area. Many wall st. types are buying Row houses and loads of CONdo and COOps are being built or buildings are being converted to them and they are selling fast and are becoming expensive to buy.

Old 05-02-2010, 02:10 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,566,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chichappens View Post
Harlem is VERY safe...... if you look for problems you will find them not only in Harlem but in any area. Many wall st. types are buying Row houses and loads of CONdo and COOps are being built or buildings are being converted to them and they are selling fast and are becoming expensive to buy.
Harlem has improved no doubt, but VERY safe?! Come on now.

Old 05-02-2010, 02:22 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,943,560 times
Crime can happen any where. Just people have this negative sigma about Harlem and its kinda old. Fact Prez Clinton had a office in Harlem an he never had a security problem. If it was not safe people would not be buy up all the row houses and building and buying Luxury Condos/coops

Old 05-02-2010, 02:49 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,314,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chichappens View Post
Crime can happen any where. Just people have this negative sigma about Harlem and its kinda old. Fact Prez Clinton had a office in Harlem an he never had a security problem. If it was not safe people would not be buy up all the row houses and building and buying Luxury Condos/coops

Oh absolutely, Crime can definately happen anywhere but there is something called "lowering your odds". Clinton did in fact set up shop in Harlem, but as an ex President he also gets Secret Service protection for the rest of his life so he's not exactly the first targer on someones radar. Things are a bit better in harlem but I don't think we call call it "Very Safe" just yet.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:01 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,456,592 times
With Secret Service protection, any neighborhood is safe. That's not a comparison for an average person, by any stretch of the imagination.

And, passdoubt is correct, the offices are in the commercial office building on 125th, not the state building.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-03-2010, 01:42 PM

160 posts, read 1,679,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Oh absolutely, Crime can definately happen anywhere but there is something called "lowering your odds". Clinton did in fact set up shop in Harlem, but as an ex President he also gets Secret Service protection for the rest of his life so he's not exactly the first targer on someones radar. Things are a bit better in harlem but I don't think we call call it "Very Safe" just yet.
this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City