Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2007, 11:06 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,922,028 times

Advertisements

Can someone tell me what the climate there is like now? I've heard that it is becoming gentrified but to what extent? How would you guys rate it in the areas of affordibility, nightlife, and safety? I'm young and considering a move to a cheaper area of Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, etc. Thanks a ton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 11:41 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,934,276 times
You are referring to above 125th street? What kind of night life are you used to and what range are you willing to pay for rent?

Old 05-09-2007, 07:11 AM

1,696 posts, read 8,879,887 times
Harlem is a pretty broad description for several smaller areas. Each block has its own merits and pitfalls. And they are changing rapidly.

I have a friend of mine who purchased a co-op on W 145 St & Edgecombe Ave across from Jackie Robinson Park. A couple of years ago he wouldn't even have considered it because of the quality of life. He got in at the right time because it looks like in a year from now he couldn't even consider because of the costs.

There is still crime and drugs in many sections of Harlem but there are many blocks making a comeback and some of the old brownstones are really gorgeous.

Climate: Spring is very nice in NYC, temperatures in the 70's and quite comfortable and will stay that way until July & August.

Old 05-10-2007, 10:22 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,803,405 times
Harlem still is a poor area and it is nothing like Midtown and the rest of Manhattan South at night. Yes there is some gentrification but the area is still overwhelmingly poor and Black/Latino. It is also residential and much of the housing is projects.

People hype up Harlem (mostly real estate) but it's still a Moderator cut: Language area to me. Still a lot of crime, tons of drug dealing becuase of the poverty. Would rather live in parts of southern Brooklyn, Queens or Staten Island.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 03-11-2010 at 07:50 PM.. Reason: Language

Old 05-10-2007, 11:12 AM

2,904 posts, read 6,922,028 times
Thanks for the insight. I'm drawn to Harlem for the low prices but I guess the areas of Harlem with low prices are like what Hustla described. Still though, if had alot of money I would invest in Harlem property.

Old 05-10-2007, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
Thanks for the insight. I'm drawn to Harlem for the low prices but I guess the areas of Harlem with low prices are like what Hustla described. Still though, if had alot of money I would invest in Harlem property.
Best thing to do with Harlem property is to buy then rent it out. You will make a ton, especially with large need for affordable housing in the area. The gov't will pay you to house lower income people and you will cash. Section 8, ect. Then you can live somewhere nice like Long Island, parts of Queens and Staten Island or the Jersey shore while your investment makes you money.

Old 05-11-2007, 12:54 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,377,020 times
Yeah but running an apartment building in Harlem has to be a huge pain in the a$$. The only way I would ever even consider something like that is if I got some nasty-looking, gun totting, mobbed up, Albanian super to run the place. Only then would I go along with it because he'd probably be able to keep everyone in line.

Old 05-16-2007, 09:11 PM

3 posts, read 13,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
Harlem still is a poor area and it is nothing like Midtown and the rest of Manhattan South at night. Yes there is some gentrification but the area is still overwhelmingly poor and Black/Latino. It is also residential and much of the housing is projects.

People hype up Harlem (mostly real estate) but it's still a area to me. Still a lot of crime, tons of drug dealing becuase of the poverty. Would rather live in parts of southern Brooklyn, Queens or Staten Island.
You should keep your punk A$@# in southern Bkly or SI

and guess what....Moderator cut: Personal attack... many of the "overwhlemingly" poor Black/Latino who live in housing projects earn more money then your a(**...You see...they have learned how to stack their chips and pennies and move to a 2500 sq ft home in Atlanta in affluent suburbs surrounded by other "poor" Black/Latino's who did the same chump

One final thing...Moderator cut: Personal attack...there is more 300k+ condo development occuring in Harlem than any other section of the city....source NYC Dept of Housing...so speak facts

Last edited by bmwguydc; 03-11-2010 at 07:49 PM.. Reason: Personal attack

Old 05-16-2007, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_the_inc View Post
You should keep your punk A$@# in southern Bkly or SI

and guess what....Moderator cut: Personal attack... many of the "overwhlemingly" poor Black/Latino who live in housing projects earn more money then your a(**...You see...they have learned how to stack their chips and pennies and move to a 2500 sq ft home in Atlanta in affluent suburbs surrounded by other "poor" Black/Latino's who did the same chump

One final thing...Moderator cut: Personal attack...there is more 300k+ condo development occuring in Harlem than any other section of the city....source NYC Dept of Housing...so speak facts
I don't live in either and just becuase they are building expensive condos in Harlem doesn't mean it's a nice place to live. It's called getting ripped off. You do realize Harlem has one of the highest concentrations of housing projects in the USA. East Harlem is #1. Not to mention Section 8, HUD, and other affordable housing programs. There is WAY more low income housing then anything else in those neighborhoods. Use your head before you talk again. As a matter fact there was a shooting in Harlem this afternoon, plenty more since then.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 03-11-2010 at 07:48 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 12-27-2010, 10:35 AM

1 posts, read 4,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
You are referring to above 125th street? What kind of night life are you used to and what range are you willing to pay for rent?
lookin 4 2 bedroom , i have 2 kids girl 4yrs. old , son 8 mon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City