Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 02:39 PM

8 posts, read 18,862 times

Advertisements

Okay, I know this automatically brings people who have very different views, but I'm in a bit of a fix, and really need some information from people who know the area. My wife and I found a wonderful rental apartment on Adam Clayton Powell and West 111th Street in Harlem. We currently live in the 80s on the UWS, but would like more space but still be near the park.

I'm trying to figure out if this is a "good" area or not for my wife and me (we're two mid-30s professionals who don't go out too terribly much--lots of dinners out, but no late-night partying). I know "good" and "safe" are completely subjective, but I just can't tell. We've been up a few times, but the process goes so fast (we have to decide as others are also interested) that I'm not sure we're giving the area enough consideration. Is the area uncomfortable for a white couple? I'm from New Orleans, so I'm familiar with living alongside people of other races, and I'm as open-minded as they come, but I am unsure if I will appear to be a gentrifier jerk to locals.

I just can't get a fix on the area. Any help is very much appreciated.

Kindest thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 03:13 PM

1,278 posts, read 4,100,802 times
This area is near me but further west. The further west and south you go the more gentrified it is. The area is very convenient to everything and the ACBD lines are right there, Central Park is like your back yard (which is my favorite part). It will be much different however than the UWS. There is some tension in terms of white people moving in. However, I think a couple in their 30's should have no problems as long as you are smart, aware of your surroundings, and respect the people and the neighborhood.

Old 07-30-2008, 03:24 PM

Rudbeckia, thanks for your help. My sense is that it's probably fine--the only hesitation I have is that my wife and I often come home fairly late from work (separately), and will have to do the walk home without each other. Not sure how that works in that area. Definitely we would respect our neighbors (and we don't mean to change the area), but just curious if we would be viewed as outsiders. I ride a bike every night (a road bike with all the irritating spandex), and I don't want to be the jerk in the middle of the area, carrying my nice bike down the stoop to take a ride. It's a fairly "white" and "elitist" sport, I confess, but I enjoy it. Just wonder how that plays in this neighborhood.

Ace Rock, not sure how what you wrote helps. I have genuine concern both for myself and my wife, and also for how we would fit into the community. I don't have a selfish interest in pricing out local residents.

Last edited by hellonyc; 07-30-2008 at 03:41 PM..

Old 07-30-2008, 03:53 PM

838 posts, read 1,212,464 times
Are you kidding me? You're upset at this man for buying a place in that neighborhood and accusing him of making the prices rise?? LOL. Please tell me I am wrong!

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 07-30-2008 at 05:22 PM..

Old 07-30-2008, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by page3000 View Post
Are you kidding me? You're upset at this man for buying a place in that neighborhood and accusing him of making the prices rise?? LOL. Please tell me I am wrong!
Thanks for the post page3000. Not buying at this point (can't afford to), but renting.

It's a shame that this topic always brings out people like Ace Rock. That's one of the reasons I'm hesitant--seems like the subject of white residents in Harlem is such a touchy subject).

I don't know what to do.

Old 07-30-2008, 04:13 PM

838 posts, read 1,212,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellonyc View Post
Thanks for the post page3000. Not buying at this point (can't afford to), but renting.

It's a shame that this topic always brings out people like Ace Rock. That's one of the reasons I'm hesitant--seems like the subject of white residents in Harlem is such a touchy subject).

I don't know what to do.
LOL seriously. I thought I read it wrong! I don't think there's anything wrong with raising the prices in a neighborhood if a good class of people are moving in. Honestly...no one can complain about that. Only people who make money deserve to live in Manhattan. It's the city! Stop expecting it to be cheap ACE. Not even I can live in Manhattan..and that's ok with me..I just know if I want to, that I have to make a little bit more money.

I heard that Sugar Hill in Harlem is up and coming. Might be an area some vanilla frosties like us would love

Old 07-30-2008, 04:18 PM

1,278 posts, read 4,100,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellonyc View Post
Rudbeckia, thanks for your help. My sense is that it's probably fine--the only hesitation I have is that my wife and I often come home fairly late from work (separately), and will have to do the walk home without each other. Not sure how that works in that area. Definitely we would respect our neighbors (and we don't mean to change the area), but just curious if we would be viewed as outsiders. I ride a bike every night (a road bike with all the irritating spandex), and I don't want to be the jerk in the middle of the area, carrying my nice bike down the stoop to take a ride. It's a fairly "white" and "elitist" sport, I confess, but I enjoy it. Just wonder how that plays in this neighborhood.

Ace Rock, not sure how what you wrote helps. I have genuine concern both for myself and my wife, and also for how we would fit into the community. I don't have a selfish interest in pricing out local residents.

People in my building have bikes, I have never noticed it looked down upon. Your late night walks would be from the A,D,B,C station I dont use that line, I am closer to the 2/3 and I sometimes use the 6# So I cant specifically tell you about your walk, but if your wife just sticks to some rules, like walk under street lamps, walk near someone else, cross the street if there are a bunch of loiterers, take a cab if its really late, that type stuff she will be fine I think.

Old 07-30-2008, 04:23 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,577,356 times
I would say that Harlem for you right now would make you in the vanguard as a pioneer. There are, though, other whites ahead of you there already - and I'm not referring to Bill of the Hill and Bill duet.

However, you'll have to deal with existing tensions from priced out long-time residents as well as the fact that Harlem is still predominantly one major race.

One doesn't have to be a racist to consider these two factors. And it's definitely not the UWS from the 50'5-90's (streets).

Old 07-30-2008, 04:24 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,577,356 times
one major race being predominantly one race in the area

Old 07-30-2008, 04:54 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,251,806 times
Isn't there a gas station across the street from the 110th st trains station? If it's open 24 hours that would provide a bit of additional safety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City