Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 04:02 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,809,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak View Post
I'm pretty sure you're wrong. Can't say much beyond that.

You see that pocket of blue north of the reservoir in the northwest Bronx Just south of Van Courtland Park? That is "Van Courtland Village". Never heard that name until yesturday (real estate jargon), basically the northern part of the Kingsbridge neighborhood. It is the last real White pocket between the Deegan and Bronx River.

Here is the Bronx in 1990. Notice the Kingsbridge area had MORE Whites before.

Come on...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 04:03 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,386,751 times
Ok, I actually drove thru your neighborhood, VCV, the other day. I did notice some of what you were saying, a decent number of younger (20-30ish) hip looking white people (particularly women, but maybe thats only because they were out walking while the guys were at home watching TV or something?). However there was an equally large presence of Dominicans in the neighborhood, and I really doubt that there were that many Dominicans in the neighborhood up until 10 or so years ago. So it could go either way I guess, VCV could become a hot spot for yuppies, but then again it might just end up like every other Bronx neighborhood (a lower-class boarding room for recent latin-american immigrants). The neighborhood did seem fairly nice though and the Amalgamated Co-Op buildings looked very well kept. Whats the deal with that place? Is there a waiting list or something?

However I think the neighborhood could easily change if the older Jewish people, mostly women, who will die off soon are not replaced by either young Jewish families or Yuppies. I'm guessing there has to be a synagogue somewhere in the neighborhood because of Almalgamated's association with the Jewish factory workers, and if thats the case then perhaps some more Orthodox Jewish families will move in there as they do in Riverdale. Yuppies could move there, but I dont' know if I could see that really happening. Why would they move to the Bronx instead of Brooklyn or Queens?

My only question about VCV, is where are all the shops? I must have missed the main commercial drag but I didn't see anything directly around Almalgamated.

Old 07-09-2007, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
It is the last real White pocket west of the Deegan, east of the Bronx River.

I think you are getting your directions mixed up. The area around Amalgamated Co-Op is to the east of the Deegan and west of the Bronx River. Woodlawn would, however, qualify under this also, but Woodlawn is farther north.

I like those maps that you found. Are they only available for the Bronx, or are there more of the other boroughs?

Old 07-09-2007, 04:20 PM

564 posts, read 1,729,022 times
Regarding your question, I'd have to know what Avenue were you on?

Old 07-09-2007, 04:28 PM

Took Gun hill over from Jerome and then drove around on Sedgwick and back up around the Co-Ops by the park. I have also driven down Bailey ave in the past after coming off of the Deegan, and I don't think I really saw too many stores until I got down by 230th and 231st streets.

Old 07-09-2007, 06:05 PM

Sedgwick Avenue and Van Cortlandt Intersection has a pizza parlor, chinese restaurant, drug store, deli, supermarket, barbor, Synagogue, and Library. I live on this intersection, as well.

And the reason why the demographics of some almalgamated buildings have stayed Jewish, with many young Jews coming into the neighborhood as well is because owners of these buildings are known, especially by the older residents, to be racist. I ask many of the old Germans and Irish in my building why the neighborhood didn't become another slum in the Bronx. They told me because these owners only allow Whites or "Organized looking Minorities" in. As long as generations of Jews and generations of Almalgamated owners from the 1920s, 30s, and so on exist in the neighborhood, there will ALWAYS be a significant Jewish population.

Based on what I've heard, there is a waiting list, filled with Manhattanites.

And by the way, based on what I know, the Dominicans here are middle class, not low income.

Old 07-09-2007, 06:08 PM

And strangely enough, it looks like certain parts of the Bronx became Whiter in 2000 in comparison to 1990.

Old 07-09-2007, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
I think you are getting your directions mixed up. The area around Amalgamated Co-Op is to the east of the Deegan and west of the Bronx River. Woodlawn would, however, qualify under this also, but Woodlawn is farther north.

I like those maps that you found. Are they only available for the Bronx, or are there more of the other boroughs?
Whoops, I flipped it. Glad you caught that.

As for the maps. Only other I could find:

Quote:
And strangely enough, it looks like certain parts of the Bronx became Whiter in 2000 in comparison to 1990.
You must be smoking crack. The first map I posted is 2000, the second is 1990. Notice there is less blue, even in heavy blue areas. That means less Whites.

Old 07-09-2007, 10:26 PM

Umm, no. Some parts of Riverdale went from light blue to dark blue. Some areas went from White to blue. Overall, there were less whites, but certain neighborhoods gained whites.

Old 07-09-2007, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Umm, no. Some parts of Riverdale went from light blue to dark blue. Some areas went from White to blue.
Take another look at the map please...

Morris Park, Throgs Neck, Pelham Bay, these once heavily White areas aren't as White as they once were. Pelham Bay's White population really shrunk to the southeast. South Norwood and northern Bedford Park's White population along Mosholu is a long gone memory. Same goes for Westchester Square. Kingsbridge north of the Fort Independance PJ's was White before, now only the northern tip of the reservoir is. According to the map even Riverdale lost Whites.

Only one neighborhood in the Bronx has gained some more Whites. Woodlawn. I highly doubt that will ever change due to it's isolation. Country club has also maintained it's White population. Again isolation. Everywhere else has lost Whites, some White neighborhoods have completely disappeared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City