Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 05:54 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,367,797 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't say only the Bronx is affordable. Lots of neighborhoods in Southern Brooklyn are very affordable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 09:35 AM

7 posts, read 22,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Alright I wouldn't reccomend Washington Heights or Innwood unless you are from the Dominican Republic. Hudson Heights, which is next-door to that area is fine, but is somewhat dull and I believe more expensive than what you can afford.

I doubt you are going to find anything, as the previous poster said, in Forrest Hills or Bayside for $800-900 a month. If you can find something though, that would be good area to reside in.

Also look into areas like Bensonhurst, Dyker Heights, Bath Beach, and Bay Ridge in Brooklyn. These areas are all nice and somewhat affordable.

There is also the North Bronx. Neighborhoods like Morris Park, Woodlawn, Country Club, and Riverdale are good, and also cheap.

If you can find a place anywhere in Manhattan for $900 that is below 96th street on the east side and 110th on the west side of town, of course take it. But I am under the impression that no such place exists unless it is some rent stabilized apartment that your Aunt has been living in for the past 20-30 years.
Did you have to mention don't move there unless your Dominican don't be judgemental? answer the question directly and not according to race

Old 07-09-2007, 12:47 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,798,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clubBR View Post
Following the current trend of gentrification, New York City's real estate market has sky rocketed. Manhattan, Brooklyn, and now Queens is pushing the lower-middle income households out. However, the only borough still affordable and stubborn towards gentrification is the Bronx. Look in the areas of:
Riverdale
Pelham Bay
City Island
Throgs Neck
Kingsbridge Heights
Pelham Parkway
Morris Park
and Bedford Park (Closer to Norwood)
I would remove Bedford Park, it's not gentrifying. Neither is Kingsbridge Heights.

The other neighborhoods are just slowly shifting demographics. Not really attracting yuppies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styles4u View Post
Did you have to mention don't move there unless your Dominican don't be judgemental? answer the question directly and not according to race
It makes a difference.

Old 07-09-2007, 03:39 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,832,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus702 View Post
I'm planning on moving to Washington Heights and/or Inwood, and I'm not Dominican. What reservations do people have about that neighborhood?
OK, I live in Washington Heights/Inwood, so can speak fairly authoritatively on the area. I'm a single, white (non-Hispanic), middle-aged woman, subleasing a small, 1BR co-op apartment near 195th and Broadway.

The area is primarily Dominican -- this is a problem only if you think it is. I've had no issues with anyone in the neighborhood.

It's not the cleanest neighborhood. In fact, it's not uncommon to find broken beer bottles, food trash and dog feces on the sidewalks.

It also tends to be loud, with lots of music played at occasional ear-splitting levels.

There is gang activity in the area -- you'll see lots of "tagged" buildings and newspaper boxes, etc., and boys in gang colors; but again, I've had no problems with them, personally.

Yes, west of Broadway is better, but more expensive.

Above 204th Street, close to Isham Park, things tend to get a little "sketchy" again -- lots of drug dealing in that area.

The #1 train is elevated north of the 190th Street station, so you'd want to make sure your apartment doesn't overlook the tracks.

There's a BIG housing project at Dyckman and 10th Avenue; however, I often walk by there on my way to the grocery store and have never felt unsafe. (Of course, I always go during the daytime.)

Overall, the area is fine, and probably the only "affordable" area left in Manhattan (other than, perhaps, East Harlem). Apartments aren't THAT hard to find, but the nicer ones usually come with a broker fee (12-15% of annual rent).

Oh -- if you're a devotee of Medieval Art, the Cloisters are right here in the neighborhood for your viewing pleasure.

I hope that helps.

Kaye

Old 07-09-2007, 03:40 PM

Good post squeezeboxgal.

Old 07-09-2007, 03:44 PM

564 posts, read 1,726,897 times
Quote:
I would remove Bedford Park, it's not gentrifying. Neither is Kingsbridge Heights.
Northern Kingsbridge Heights, Van Cortlandt Village, is gentrifying at a huge rate. I mean, we spent two hours arguing over it just yesterday. Lots of Upper Middle Class Manhattanites coming in to raise a family.

Old 07-09-2007, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak View Post
Northern Kingsbridge Heights, Van Cortlandt Village, is gentrifying at a huge rate. I mean, we spent two hours arguing over it just yesterday. Lots of Upper Middle Class Manhattanites coming in to raise a family.
Kingsbridge Heights and Bedford Park are only "gentrifying" with low income Dominicans.

Old 07-09-2007, 03:52 PM

Van Cortlandt Village IS the North part of Kingsbridge Heights.

Old 07-09-2007, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak View Post
Van Cortlandt Village IS the North part of Kingsbridge Heights.
Van Courtland Village is the pocket north of the reservoir. Kingsbridge Heights is the area north of W Kingsbridge Road.

Old 07-09-2007, 03:56 PM

I'm pretty sure you're wrong. Can't say much beyond that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City