Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2009, 01:56 PM

3 posts, read 26,110 times

Advertisements

Last night I had to make a trip into Brooklyn and from about 20 miles away it took me close to 2 hours - I took the Lincoln Tunnel thru the city onto the Brooklyn Bridge. The most traffic I hit was going into the tunnel - probably sat ther for 45-60 minutes.
I need to go again tonite - would the GWB be any better? Any other routes you could suggest? I am desperate not to have to spend so much time in the car again

Any help would be appreciated - I tried Google Maps, but I think insider tips would help me out!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 02:12 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,073,586 times
Where are you going in Brooklyn?

It may make more sense to cross into Staten Island,go across Staten Island and then over the Verrazano Bridge into Brooklyn.

There are places in Brooklyn where it might make more sense to go over the GW Bridge to the Triboro Bridge to the BQE .

It definitely depends on where you want to end up and any alternative could turn into a nightmare of it's own for any number of reasons.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:15 PM

Default Cadman Plaza

I am going to Cadman Plaza West - directly to the right off the Brooklyn Bridge - kind of near Grimaldi's Pizza - if that helps???

Old 02-20-2009, 02:17 PM

Default Ooops

Sorry it is actually the crossing I am most worried about - that was the absolute longest part of my trip - once I was in the city it was a breeze

Old 02-20-2009, 02:24 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,073,586 times
Hate to say it but since you are going directly to "downtown Brooklyn" it probably makes the most sense to cross via Manhattan unless you are starting from further north and the GW is close or starting from further south near a bridge to Staten Island. Maybe the Holland Tunnel would be less hassle than the Lincoln? Don't know about that.
Where exactly are you coming from?

Old 02-20-2009, 02:24 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
The GWB can be a mixed bag, especially on a friday. Check out NJ101.5 on radio or internet for current traffic conditions on the New Jersey side. They are pretty accurate with regard to dealys at the Hudson crossings. The problem with the GWB is that you can hit terrible traffic in Manhattan, trying to get to Brooklyn.

I would take the Goethals to the SI Expressway to the Verazzano to the Gowanus to the BQE to Brooklyn. I think you want Exit 28A if you're near Grimaldi's. It's about 20 miles this way from the Goethals, but it's not going to be as bogged down in traffic as will be the Hudson crossings if they're bad when you set out.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:36 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,334,237 times
Where are you coming from?

The fastest way would be to take a path train in NYC and then transfer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City