Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2013, 08:39 AM

10 posts, read 36,568 times

Advertisements

I'm coming to New York for work and am arriving one day early (on a Thursday). My plan is to leave my luggage at the left luggage at Penn Station (Amtrak station), walk around Midtown for an afternoon, pick up my luggage around 4:30, and then take the 1/2/3 to the UWS (I'm staying with a friend there). I won't be on the subway long (5 stops, or 2 on the express) and I'm not worried about my ability to schlep my luggage (I'll only have a carry-on suitcase and laptop bag, and I've done it before), but I've only done it on a Sunday before, so I am a bit worried about weekday rush hour.

I know rush hour as a whole probably runs at least 4-7pm, but is there a worst time? My initial thought was that 4:30 was early enough to avoid the worst (since that's true in the cities I've lived before, except on Friday), but is that true for NY, especially the direction I'll be headed (which I assume is in the direction of most of the traffic)? If I can't leave before 4:30, would it be better to sightsee for another 2-3 hours (thus leaving at 6:30-7:30 from Penn Station), or is it all about the same? How crowded are the 1/2/3 lines going uptown at that time?

Thanks in advance for the help--I'm really excited about spending a few days in New York, even if I will be spending most of it at work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 08:55 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,251,946 times
School kids make the commute worse. Generally 4-4:30 is pre the worse part of rush hour but it changes when school is in session. Pretty much IMO the worst is 4-6 when the schools are in session.

You should be okay though if you try and get on the very last or very first train car.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:19 AM

706 posts, read 1,042,635 times
get on the 1st car of the train. people are usually too lazy to walk all the way to the 1st car.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:49 AM

424 posts, read 974,535 times
/\ Though, on the lines with the most commuters such as the 1,2 3, 4, 5 ,6 A, B, C, D getting on the 1st or last car doesn't always guarantee a comfortable commute. It can be just as packed on the first car as some of the middle cars.

Taking local lines is (sometimes) a solution to avoiding jammed express trains. I usually switch to an express at a station where most commuters get off so you won't have to endure a crammed commute. Makes the trip 5-10 mins longer but a least it's somewhat better than riding on an overcrowded express train; this unfortunately doesn't apply to the 1 or 6 train since every car is packed from 14th Street till about 125th Street

chpg, the worst time is 5-6:30 since most of Midtown empties out into the subways around this time. I'd try to leave work before 5pm if possible or after 6:30pm if you're carrying luggage; riding the crammed 1, 2 or 3 trains during rush hour is a hassle enough without luggage. Also, Penn Station is an absolute madhouse during rush hour with people running from the subway to LIRR/ NJ Transit platforms to make their commuter trains on time. Makes Grand Central seem orderly and you need the reflexes and agility of an athlete to dodge people barreling towards you from all directions.

If you want to leave during rush hour prime time, be sure to walk all the way to the end or start of the platform at 34th Street and ride on the very ends of the car. The middle always get crowded since most people coming onto the train go for that section.

Hope that helps a bit

Old 09-18-2013, 12:00 AM

10 posts, read 36,568 times
Thanks everyone for the help! This is really helpful (especially the advice about walking to the first/last cars). I will just try to be careful in Penn Station and make sure I know exactly where I need to go BEFORE I start walking.

Any suggestions about whether the 1, 2, or 3 is a better bet, or does it not matter? It's a short ride, so I don't need a seat, but overall crowding matters, since I'll have luggage with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: