Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 08:45 PM

485 posts, read 988,787 times

Advertisements

I found the triangle area bx718.
I'll try to stay away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 05:58 AM

9,253 posts, read 24,241,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf1025 View Post
Thanks folks! (all of you have been of great help!)
Pelham Gardens and Morris park (inc. Indian Village) are the top winners now, hehe... Going back to the map, I also saw the eastern part of what I thought was also considered Pelham Pwy, what would that area be called? (Country Club?) I'm talking about everything close to the 6 train.
gf- Country Club is the most Eastern part of an area known as Pelham Bay.It is on the East side of I 95 and it's Eastern boundary is the water. It is very nice but very suburban and difficult for transportation.It's great if you want to pretend that you are in suburbia but as in suburbia you will need a car for almost everything. It is also quite expensive but you might be able to walk to the beach!

The part of the area just west of I 95 and South of Pelham Parkway,however may be an area you should look at. It is just known as Pelham Bay. Bounded by Pelham Parkway,I 95,Westchester Avenue and Wilkinson on the South and The Hutchinson River Parkway on the West.This is a small area that has a lot going for it.Nothing is more than a few blocks from the 6 and there are stores with everything. Nice houses and apartment buildings.All of the highways come together over near 95 so you can head in any direction by car easily.... Up 95 to Conn or New England, Up the Hutchinson to Westchester,to LI or Queens over the Throg's neck,Cross Bronx to GW bridge,etc.

This neighborhood has a lot going for it.

You are right that this whole area is a little confusing.It is because they all share close proximity to Pelham Parkway so in some people's minds it is all just Pelham Parkway.In the neighborhood that I just described above ,for instance,there are houses and apt buildings on Pelham Parkway so they have a Pelham Parkway address. But The Parkway runs west from there for 2.5 miles to Bronx Park with Morris Park to the South and Pelham Gardens to the north before it gets to the actual neighborhood known as Pelham Parkway!

Last edited by bluedog2; 01-30-2009 at 06:19 AM..

Old 01-30-2009, 06:03 AM

473 posts, read 1,677,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
....Why is the triangle bad?....
Seymour is a bad strip and below it, you're going towards gun hill and the projects. In the summer time, there are dozens on the ave and everything that comes with it. Above seymour and closer to givan and burke, bounded by eastchester is the better and habitable however, you have to deal with the train running nearby.

If you live in the upper triangle area (above seymour), you are better off getting to/from the train station via eastchester and hammersley. However hammersley, b/n Eastchester and Gun Hill, is dark at night. Most ladies who can afford it, pay the $6 cab fare from the train. I think the main problem with the upper triangle is getting to and from the train at night. The good thing is, because it's so quiet, anyone does not live in the area is immediately noticed. You said you had a car right? Why don't you jump in it and drive through the whole triangle to get a first hand feel of the area?

Quote:
......These videos were staged by younger Albanian mafia wannabees and are a joke that they all laugh about.The hugging and cigar lighting in the apartment building basement are great though.So is the dramatic music when the guns are fired off of the balcony above the crowd .....
SURRREEEEE!!!!! So if your kids were in the park and someone fired a gun INTO THEIR CROWD, you would think it were funny? Would you think it were funny if the shooting had taken place by edenwald or in co-op city? How do you know they were shooting above the crowd? Posessing a handgun in the city is a FELONY and discharging it toward a crowd in the park is certainly not funny. Different pigmentation and the sentiments would have been "look at THOSE ANIMALS!!!!!!"

Old 01-30-2009, 06:03 AM

gf... also,just curious but how did you "stumble" on this area and where did you stumble from? Where do you live now?

Old 01-30-2009, 07:46 AM

485 posts, read 988,787 times
Quote:
gf... also,just curious but how did you "stumble" on this area and where did you stumble from? Where do you live now?
I grew up in Morris Heights. Creston ave/Burnside ave. (Horrible, Horrible, Horrible area, lots of drugs, violence and NOISY AS NOISY GETS!). I went to High School on Fordham Rd. (When it was Roosevelt, horrible school too, but I had some really good teachers.) I went to College in Riverdale (Manhattan College). So I've lived in the Bronx most of my life. I then moved to Boston, MA for a few years and came back to NYC (Bronx) in 2007. Now I live close to the Yankee Stadium. The Yankee stadium area isn't as bad as Morris Heights. It's pretty quiet and is very convenient to the train; I get to my job in 30 minutes sometimes. However, it's too saturated, my car has been vandalized 3 times since I moved there and recently I have been getting people panhandling me as I get off the train -- happens to me at least twice a week! I don't know why, maybe because I'm wearing a dress coat and business attire? I find it depressing and since my car has been broken into, mirrors gotten stolen and so forth, I'm forced to either pay $200 a month to garage it or only park on 161 street because is the only place where the car is safe from break-ins. (I drive a Hyundai! So it's not even because the car is a luxury car, it's just an SUV). That's why I started looking at the North Bronx, originally only looked at Wakefield close to Mount Vernon, since I know Westchester very well, and then worked my way down to Pelham Pwy. Morris Park was a mere coincidence though. I was looking at ALL the zipcodes in the Bronx, read about Parkchester and that's how I found out about Morris Park. It's amazing that I grew up in the Bronx but didn't even know about Morris Park until a few months ago.

Last edited by gf1025; 01-30-2009 at 08:14 AM..

Old 01-30-2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bx718 View Post
SURRREEEEE!!!!! So if your kids were in the park and someone fired a gun INTO THEIR CROWD, you would think it were funny? Would you think it were funny if the shooting had taken place by edenwald or in co-op city? How do you know they were shooting above the crowd? Posessing a handgun in the city is a FELONY and discharging it toward a crowd in the park is certainly not funny. Different pigmentation and the sentiments would have been "look at THOSE ANIMALS!!!!!!"
bx- Sorry,I didn't mean to make light of it or condone any of these activities.My humor was directed more at myself for being so naive and at first not seeing that those videos were staged. I am sure that the people on the street were not in on the "joke" in the shooting one and that it was terrifying for them.
I also agree with your views on the whole idea of handguns and shooting them off.It is not funny!
Unfortunately,for the Albanians, it is my understanding that it is a part of their culture to shoot guns off into the air during times of celebration.There are other Eastern European and Middle Eastern cultures that do this as well .

As I said,I do not condone this and definitely feel that it has no place in NYC.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:52 AM

3 posts, read 3,359 times
Pelham Gardens is really the name of the Northern end of Morris Park. It's one big area split into sub neighborhoods. Pelham Gardens is way shut off, Indian Village Morris Park is more accessible but more than likely you'll be taking express buses to the city (BxM10). If you don't mind the walk, you can take the BxM10 if you choose Pelham Gardens. Generally, between Bronxdale Avenue and the Hutchinson River Parkway between Neill Avenue and Sacket Avenue is the best part, because its nice homes or condos and has the most to offer.

The official boundaries of Morris Park is Bronx River Parkway to the West, Hutchinson River Parkway to the East, East Tremont Avenue to the South, and Pelham Parkway - Esplanade - Allerton to the North. It kind of makes a rhombus shape, and certain areas may seem sketchy at points (mostly white plains road or the East 180th Street Station at the far south west corner) at night especially, but crime is so low, and in time you grow to feel comfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City