Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 02:01 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,792,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
GF1025,I live in the area and recently went through the process that you are going through so i might be able to help.I was looking for an apartment and you are looking for a house so that might make a difference.

Boundaries:
Pelham Parkway-The strict definition is Bronx Park on the East,Pelham Parkway on the North and the 5 train tracks running from northeast to southwest.It is triangular in shape.Psychologically,Pelham Parkway the neighborhood goes North of Pelham Parkway to about Waring Avenue and then over to Williamsbridge Road. This is the most urban of the neighborhoods with a lot of apartment buildings,a lot of conveniences,a lot of shopping 2 subway lines,Express bus,etc.Not that many detatched houses in comparison to the others.

Morris Park-The East boundary line is around the 5 train tracks(Morris Park stop) and runs from Pelham Parkway down to Morris Park Avenue.The Northern boundary is Pelham Parkway itself and the line runs East to the hospitals ( Jacobi) which is at eastchester Rd.The East boundary is Eastchester Rd running Southwest back to Williamsbridge Rd.

Pelham Gardens-Williamsbridge Road on the East,Mace avenue on the North,
Gun Hill Road on the West and Pelham Parkway on the south.

The lines of all of these neighborhoods kind of bleed together at the intersection of Pelham Parkway and Williamsbridge Rd.
In general,this whole area has one of the lowest crime rates in The Bronx(in the whole city for that matter).The only problem areas are right around The Pelham Parkway Houses( North of the Parkway and just to the West of Williamsbridge Rd. This is actually one of the best projects in the whole city and it is not that bad but it is still a project.I don't think you want to buy across the street.

The commercial strip on White Plains Road under the el seems to make some people a little nervous-I guess especially in the middle of the night but It doesn't bother me at all.Then again I am not there at 1:00 am.
The whole area north of these neighborhoods,North of Allerton Ave let's say, does make me a little nervous -sometimes more than a little.

A lot depends on your price range and what you are looking for.Pelham Gardens is very pretty and is probably a hidden gem of NYC housing.Nice brick houses with nice yards,nice streets,etc but it is a little more expensive and suburban.No really convenient shopping and not good transportation unless you live right near one of the 5 stops and even then the 5 is not great off peak.Very ,very nice neighborhood though.Still overwhelmingly Italian.Practically no crime and good schools.

As I said earlier the Pelham Parkway neighborhood is the opposite in some respects.It is mostly apartment houses and much fewer detatched houses.A lot of the apartment buildings in this neighborhood are coop so there is a lot of stability,however.There is a lot of shopping,2 subway lines,access to the Park with the Botanical Garden and Bronx Zoo.It is a very polyglot,urban spot with about 40% Hispanic,30% White non hispanic,20% black and 10 % asian.The array of shops,bakeries grocery stores ,etc is great.It used to be a very Jewish and Italian neighborhood and there are a lot of them still there so you have Kosher butchers and bakeries next to Italian Bakeries next to Albanian restaurants,etc.A very diverse population

Morris Park seems to be a combination of the two.Mostly single family houses, a healthy number of apartment buildings on the corners.Kind of a mixed neighborhood but still probably the biggest minority is Italian and White.Still a strong Italian ethnic feel to the restaurants and shops through most of the neighborhood.Better transportation options than Pelhan Gardens but not as convenient as in Pelham Parkway.

On the whole ,all of these neighborhoods are pretty good places to live and there aren't too many problems.It really depends on what you are looking for.I chose Pelham Parkway because I love the diversity and the more urban feel and conveniences and I don't want a car.You may have other priorities
Lots of good info, great job!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 02:02 PM

486 posts, read 984,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia555 View Post
Indian Village is the NICEST area in that section of the Bronx
Which are the boundaries for Indian Village?

Old 01-29-2009, 02:19 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
Indian Village is a subsection of Morris Park and is at the Northeast corner of Morris Park.East of Williamsbridge Rd,just to the south of the Parkway and West of Jacobi Hospital. If you look on a map you will see all the Indian names of the streets.Very small area and very nice.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Indian Village is a subsection of Morris Park and is at the Northeast corner of Morris Park.East of Williamsbridge Rd,just to the south of the Parkway and West of Jacobi Hospital. If you look on a map you will see all the Indian names of the streets.Very small area and very nice.
Wow, that's a tiny section.
Then the first house I'm interested in is actually there. Is on Hering Avenue, by Morris Park ave.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:42 PM

19 posts, read 60,991 times
its a great area..............

Old 01-29-2009, 03:36 PM

473 posts, read 1,670,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf1025 View Post
......Any thoughts on Givan,Burke, Mickle, Fish, Oakley, Fenton ave? (that whole strip, north of Gun Hill and south of Boston Rd.) I also took at the area you suggested and I love it, I don't know if there is anything in my price range but I wil keep looking. By the way is that 10469 or 10461?

I am quite familiar with this area and you definitely want to stay out of the triangle. It is literally a triangle bounded by Eastchester, boston rd and gun hill. There are some decent houses on eastchester, between givan and hammersley but anything in the triangle is usually not advisable. Fish between Givan and Burke is an aberrantly nice looking block for the area but right after burke, it looks like East New York. If you want to go into the triangle, keep it close to eastchester. Eastchester, burke, givan and fenton is a decent enclosure. However, the train runs very close by and you cannot avoid it. This area is relatively safe and there is decent foot traffic to and from the train especially on seymour.

The closer you get to boston rd, the crappier it becomes. If you want to check out houses above gun hill and south of boston rd, go for the ones closer to gun hill and below Adee. If you go over Adee, you will have to deal with the train going back and forth ALL NIGHT lol.

With all the talk about staying below allerton, I guess the kids in this video SHOOTING into a crowd in the park, were trying out for an action movie
YouTube - Albanian bronx shootout

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yppl8_QOIVs
You can also forward this video to the 2:05 mark and tell me if it's all milk and honey below allerton!

Old 01-29-2009, 03:58 PM

Thanks folks! (all of you have been of great help!)
Pelham Gardens and Morris park (inc. Indian Village) are the top winners now, hehe... Going back to the map, I also saw the eastern part of what I thought was also considered Pelham Pwy, what would that area be called? (Country Club?) I'm talking about everything close to the 6 train.

Old 01-29-2009, 04:24 PM

730 posts, read 2,053,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf1025 View Post
Thanks folks! (all of you have been of great help!)
Pelham Gardens and Morris park (inc. Indian Village) are the top winners now, hehe... Going back to the map, I also saw the eastern part of what I thought was also considered Pelham Pwy, what would that area be called? (Country Club?) I'm talking about everything close to the 6 train.
It's called Pelham Bay. It's a nice area, but expect lots of buses, cars, and pedestrians at the Pelham Bay Park station. To me, you're better off with Indian Village, Pelham Gardens, Morris Park areas.

Old 01-29-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bx718 View Post

I am quite familiar with this area and you definitely want to stay out of the triangle. It is literally a triangle bounded by Eastchester, boston rd and gun hill. There are some decent houses on eastchester, between givan and hammersley but anything in the triangle is usually not advisable. With all the talk about staying below allerton, I guess the kids in this video SHOOTING into a crowd in the park, were trying out for an action movie

YouTube - A.B.I. Crew - Na Jem A.B.I.
You can also forward this video to the 2:05 mark and tell me if it's all milk and honey below allerton!
Why is the triangle bad?

About the shooting, wow, even nice areas have their pockets of bad in them.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:26 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bx718 View Post

I am quite familiar with this area and you definitely want to stay out of the triangle. It is literally a triangle bounded by Eastchester, boston rd and gun hill. There are some decent houses on eastchester, between givan and hammersley but anything in the triangle is usually not advisable. Fish between Givan and Burke is an aberrantly nice looking block for the area but right after burke, it looks like East New York. If you want to go into the triangle, keep it close to eastchester. Eastchester, burke, givan and fenton is a decent enclosure. However, the train runs very close by and you cannot avoid it. This area is relatively safe and there is decent foot traffic to and from the train especially on seymour.

The closer you get to boston rd, the crappier it becomes. If you want to check out houses above gun hill and south of boston rd, go for the ones closer to gun hill and below Adee. If you go over Adee, you will have to deal with the train going back and forth ALL NIGHT lol.

With all the talk about staying below allerton, I guess the kids in this video SHOOTING into a crowd in the park, were trying out for an action movie

YouTube - A.B.I. Crew - Na Jem A.B.I.
bx718,I asked my kids( I am a teacher in the area with a lot of Albanian students) about these videos months ago and they were hysterical that I or anyone else would think they are real. Couldn't stop laughing. They told me that the whole Albanian gang thing was a big joke and that the videos were staged.When I went back and looked at them a few times I realized that they were absolutely telling me the truth and I was embarrassed that I fell for it even for it even for a minute. They still kid me about it.

It was later explained to me that there are real Albanian gangs but they are older and are almost exactly like the Italian Mafia.They are into much bigger crime that doesn't take place on the streets and they have more or less taken over where the mafia left off in Morris Park and Belmont.

These videos were staged by younger Albanian mafia wannabees and are a joke that they all laugh about.The hugging and cigar lighting in the apartment building basement are great though.So is the dramatic music when the guns are fired off of the balcony above the crowd .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City