Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 04:47 PM

2 posts, read 17,246 times

Advertisements

Hello,
Could anyone provide info on the Number 5 train from the
Morris Park to Manhattan? Is there an express, how good is the line, is it always late, is the train safe at all hours, or should a person take the express bus in to town? Asking for a 35 year old woman travelling every day including weekends from 7 am to 10 pm.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 05:17 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,673,781 times
Default well I

took the 2 from Manhattan to 238th street at night and can tell you that while it definitely was unpleasant, i never felt threatened by anyone. of course, i am a male so you might find it worse

as for the 5, it makes the same stops from 180th street to 149th street as the 2 does. that stretch can be a little creepy at night and is probably what you might be concerned about.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:24 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,069,701 times
I live in Pelham Parkway and use the 2 and 5 all the time without any problem.The trains are almost always quite crowded and I have never felt threatened.Occasionally some creepy looking character will get on or off,especially in the South Bronx and sometimes there can be groups of rowdy kids but I see creepy people and rowdy kids everywhere on the subways.The area around the Morris Park station is quite deserted at night but I think it's pretty safe.I walk through there frequently at night and have never even seen anything problematical.It's just a very residential...almost suburban area with mostly houses.

Especially between 7AM and 10 PM you will be fine.You might get a little nervous at 2:00 or 3:00 am but otherwise it's fine.

The 2 and the 5 are pretty reliable from my experience except for occasional scheduled maintenance or track work schedule changes,mostly on weekends.

The 5 runs express going downtown in the AM and uptown in the PM.Otherwise it runs local all the time.The 5 express runs along the White Plains Road 2 tracks though, so if you get on the 5 train at the Pelham Parkway/Williamsbridge Rd station or at the Morris Park station you will have to get off the local at 180th st to get the express(or the 2 train).You can also get directly on the 5 express train( or the 2) at the Pelham Parkway/White Plains Rd stop.
I use the express bus occasionally but generally consider it a waste of money because the busses take longer and only go up and down 5th Av and Mad Av.Great if that's exactly where you are going but not so great if you then have to get another bus or subway to your final destination.Plus the express busses don't run as frequently as the subways.

The 2 and 5 lines are great for the Pelham Parkway/Morris Park neighborhood because 1 goes down the East Side and the other the West Side.

Last edited by bluedog2; 02-03-2011 at 05:49 PM..

Old 02-03-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
as for the 5, it makes the same stops from 180th street to 149th street as the 2 does. that stretch can be a little creepy at night and is probably what you might be concerned about.
The 5 express train skips the stations you are referring to but it doesn't run express late at night.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:23 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,237,622 times
Don't hppen to take this line regularly but from observation 5 line on average seems to run smoother both ways than 4 and 6.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:18 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,768,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I live in Pelham Parkway and use the 2 and 5 all the time without any problem.The trains are almost always quite crowded and I have never felt threatened.Occasionally some creepy looking character will get on or off,especially in the South Bronx and sometimes there can be groups of rowdy kids but I see creepy people and rowdy kids everywhere on the subways.The area around the Morris Park station is quite deserted at night but I think it's pretty safe.I walk through there frequently at night and have never even seen anything problematical.It's just a very residential...almost suburban area with mostly houses.

Especially between 7AM and 10 PM you will be fine.You might get a little nervous at 2:00 or 3:00 am but otherwise it's fine.

The 2 and the 5 are pretty reliable from my experience except for occasional scheduled maintenance or track work schedule changes,mostly on weekends.

The 5 runs express going downtown in the AM and uptown in the PM.Otherwise it runs local all the time.The 5 express runs along the White Plains Road 2 tracks though, so if you get on the 5 train at the Pelham Parkway/Williamsbridge Rd station or at the Morris Park station you will have to get off the local at 180th st to get the express(or the 2 train).You can also get directly on the 5 express train( or the 2) at the Pelham Parkway/White Plains Rd stop.
I use the express bus occasionally but generally consider it a waste of money because the busses take longer and only go up and down 5th Av and Mad Av.Great if that's exactly where you are going but not so great if you then have to get another bus or subway to your final destination.Plus the express busses don't run as frequently as the subways.

The 2 and 5 lines are great for the Pelham Parkway/Morris Park neighborhood because 1 goes down the East Side and the other the West Side.
Jeez Bluedog, you know the Bronx too well the only thing you left out is the 5 stops running late at night. I think it stops around midnight. Also it seems to be less crowded than the 2 in the Bronx. I like the 2 5 line more than the 6 line where my gf lives. It gives you the options of Eastside or West side downtown.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:35 PM

2 posts, read 17,246 times
Thank you everyone! I hope I didn't offend anyone by asking the question. I just work at a hotel and work different hours and I normally ride the train in and out of Queens. I am considering moving to Pelham Parkway area, which looks great, but its just the train ride on the 5 line
I am concerned about.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelhamparkway? View Post
Thank you everyone! I hope I didn't offend anyone by asking the question. I just work at a hotel and work different hours and I normally ride the train in and out of Queens. I am considering moving to Pelham Parkway area, which looks great, but its just the train ride on the 5 line
I am concerned about.
Don't be.The subways are statistically safer than the streets in NYC and the highest crime subway spots in the NYC subway system are all in midtown Manhattan
You are more likely to be the victim of a crime @ 34th St,Union Sq,W 4th St,42nd St ,etc.,especially since you won't be traveling late at night.

I think if you try it a few times you will become comfortable.It's really not that bad.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:22 AM

518 posts, read 1,579,729 times
I take the 5 to Freeman Street all the time to visit my friend - the area is not such a good area, but as a lady, traveling alone, off peak hours, never been harassed.

Yes, there is always a hobo, or during school hours you have a high chance of being grouped in with some loud teens, but nothing that will scare you. Or, nothing that has scared me.

I've lived in NYC all my life, and the train is pretty safe if you keep your valuables hidden, try not to sit on the seat closest to the door, and just be aware of your surroundings. I always sit near the conductor, I feel safer - don't know if it true - but again, Ive never been robbed.

Old 02-06-2011, 03:40 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,592,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Future View Post
I always sit near the conductor, I feel safer - don't know if it true - but again, Ive never been robbed.
As a former conductor, I think I can vouch for that strategy. Should a call for help ever be necessary, the conductor is the one with the radio...not any of your fellow passengers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City