Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 12:23 AM

7 posts, read 36,313 times

Advertisements

Just curious...

I'm African-American and I've been doing some research on the neighborhood (Astoria) in Queens...I've been getting the impression that if I moved there I'd be the only black person. I have no problem with other races or cultures...but it would seem kind of awkward if I am one of like, three black people in the whole area lol.

Seriously, I know it's like a Greek area, and some other ethnicities, but are there at least a handful of people of African descent? If you're out there, I'm calling you!

Thanks so much if there's anyone out there...or if you live there and you've at least seen some black people lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 12:25 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,623,881 times
I have seen Black people (sorry not sure if they are actually African-American though) in the neighborhood before. So I think you will feel fine there. Nice neighborhood.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:31 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,572,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastAsYouCan View Post
Just curious...

I'm African-American and I've been doing some research on the neighborhood (Astoria) in Queens...I've been getting the impression that if I moved there I'd be the only black person. I have no problem with other races or cultures...but it would seem kind of awkward if I am one of like, three black people in the whole area lol.

Seriously, I know it's like a Greek area, and some other ethnicities, but are there at least a handful of people of African descent? If you're out there, I'm calling you!

Thanks so much if there's anyone out there...or if you live there and you've at least seen some black people lol.
My sister lives there and when I visit I see all races, religions, ethnicities. It's a well developed part of town with amazing conveniences and easy access to Manhattan. It was once predominantly Greek - but not anymore. One can find transplanted young Midwesterners - black and white, Greek, Arab, Asian, Hispanic, all religions, and the list goes on.

No, you won't be one of just three blacks there.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:49 AM

Thanks you guys so much, I plan to visit soon, it seems like a nice area...I've heard a lot of nice things about it.

Thanks again! : - )

Old 01-18-2009, 01:34 AM

749 posts, read 2,455,036 times
There are very few black people in the busy sections of Astoria (B'way, 30th Ave, Ditmars, Steinway), but I have seen young kids and teenagers often taking the N/W and on the el platforms, but I think they just go to school in the area. The adult black people I've seen are usually yuppies, but they are also very rare. I say who cares? I'm Filipino and there aren't many Filipinos or Asians here either, it's mostly European, white Americans, arabs and hispanics. I live on an all European street and no one even notices me. I figure I was born and raised in this country I can live in Buttzville, PA or Harlem, NY and still relate to everyone. But it might be different for me being Asian because no one is really afraid of Asians. I think if you're a professional or even just a regular dude you will completely fit in and no one will even notice you at all. If you're completely hood, you'll stand out more and people will probably just steer clear of you, but nothing will happen. Astoria is a very accepting place though, you won't have any problems.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:41 AM

1,990 posts, read 7,633,692 times
There is a very large black population in Astoria. In the nice areas and even in the bad areas ( like Ravenswood ).

Old 01-18-2009, 07:23 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,613,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastAsYouCan View Post
Just curious...

I've been getting the impression that if I moved there I'd be the only black person. I have no problem with other races or cultures...
I'm sorry, but posts like these are a pet peeve of mine. On another forum I frequent, there was a Black guy who was desperate to move to Europe (he likes his white women), got there, and then whined and moaned how there was very few Black people. Uhhhh?

If you're above statement was really correct, why post this?

Old 01-18-2009, 10:38 AM

749 posts, read 2,455,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
There is a very large black population in Astoria. In the nice areas and even in the bad areas ( like Ravenswood ).
I disagree. They only make up about 1% of the population in the nice part of Astoria: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed and less than 10% on the outskirts. I've lived here for many years and rarely see any black people. I rarely see any Asian people either and I'm Asian.

Ravenswood is an area in its own, if anything its more a part of LIC. I consider that area along 21st street to be an extension of the planning they used for Queensbridge.

Any realtor trying to sell Ravenswood as Astoria is a fraud.

Last edited by Yac; 02-24-2009 at 04:58 AM..

Old 01-18-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
I'm sorry, but posts like these are a pet peeve of mine. On another forum I frequent, there was a Black guy who was desperate to move to Europe (he likes his white women), got there, and then whined and moaned how there was very few Black people. Uhhhh?

If you're above statement was really correct, why post this?
lol...please don't get attitude with me. It's really not called for. I didn't create this thread to start a race war. If I am one of very few blacks in a neighborhood, it would feel awkward because the residents could possibly look at me as an outsider and ostracize me, etc. I've attended majority white schools in my life and I know the feeling. It's not a good one.

But, if what someone else in this thread has already stated is true, then I should have nothing to worry about in Astoria, because they are supposedly welcoming, friendly, non-racist people.

P.S. I'm not like the dude in the other thread... I don't "like my white women" because I'm not a lesbian.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:27 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,613,160 times
/\ My only argument is starting off on the pretense that being the only Black person around is a bad thing and that you'll be harrassed. It's not 1965 anymore, you should feel safe to live whereever you want....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City