Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 07:38 PM

18 posts, read 45,655 times

Advertisements

i only say i am an atheist when they try to push me even when i try to escape in the house. they still don't stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 07:39 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Astoria has a small black population, but it's not Bensonhurst. You'll probably see blacks here & there on the main shopping strips in the neighborhood.
Just for the record, Bensonhurst isn't exactly the same neighborhood it was a decade ago. That's life in New York City...there's no such thing as a static neighborhood around here. (I, for example, was born in Brownsville. If you've been there recently, you'd never believe what it looked like in the 1950s).

Old 02-04-2009, 07:51 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,766,181 times
I have no idea where you are going with this Mod cut: not necessary but please do not spread falsity like this. Astoria is one of the, if not the most diverse cities within the borough of queens. I have never heard of anyone hating on anyone because they don't believe in their God or any God for that matter. I don't usually go around asking people their religion unless the conversation calls for it. I'm not sure the people that Kathleen was dealing with, but they sound strange. I am very sorry for the los of your great grand-daughter, but the people you dealt with were just very insensitive to your loss.

Last edited by Viralmd; 02-05-2009 at 05:33 AM..

Old 02-05-2009, 05:03 AM

162 posts, read 602,060 times
If you're black and want to live in NYC, I suggest that you stay away from Bensonhurst and Howard Beach.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:11 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,072,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
I have no idea where you are going with this and really question your sanity, but please do not spread falsity like this. Astoria is one of the, if not the most diverse cities within the borough of queens. I have never heard of anyone hating on anyone because they don't believe in their God or any God for that matter. I don't usually go around asking people their religion unless the conversation calls for it. I'm not sure the people that Kathleen was dealing with, but they sound strange. I am very sorry for the los of your great grand-daughter, but the people you dealt with were just very insensitive to your loss.
You mean 'neighborhood' within the borough of Queens. Astoria is a neighborhood of New York City.

Old 02-05-2009, 06:38 AM

Default Astoria

Quote:
I have no idea where you are going with this Mod cut: not necessary but please do not spread falsity like this. Astoria is one of the, if not the most diverse cities within the borough of queens. I have never heard of anyone hating on anyone because they don't believe in their God or any God for that matter. I don't usually go around asking people their religion unless the conversation calls for it. I'm not sure the people that Kathleen was dealing with, but they sound strange. I am very sorry for the los of your great grand-daughter, but the people you dealt with were just very insensitive to your loss.
I am not talking about the younger people, i am talking about the people my age in their 60s and 70s, they are a very different breed. they hate change, they hate anything new. they want to keep Astoria their way. some one even ripped my Obama sticker of my door when he was running for election. i had hoped it was too small for them to notice. i have seen a lot here over the years. if they didn't like a business that opened up they burned or bombed it to get rid of it. if you know astoria, the post office we have now is on 31st near 23rd ave. we had another one years ago. on 31st street near 21st. ave. a night club opened up near ditmars, that some one wanted gone. so they blew it up with tnt. they didn't just take the club, but they took the whole block, up to 21st ave. they got rid of our post office that was there. the crater they left was huge. several businesses were and set fire to, they play hard ball. we had gay bar on 23rd ave. years ago, boy did they want that gone. they told him if they don't get out, they would be burnt out. so the gays left, didn't want any gays in astoria. many years ago people wanted to get rid of some people on my block. they were having meetings as to how to get rid of them, they decided they would burn them out. they sent a warning to the people living in that house, get out or be burnt out. these people got scared, late one night they moved out, and left the house, to never return. i lived here for a long time, what i say is not false, i lived through it.
these people have fought change so hard, to keep every thing just they wanted it. gays weren't wanted, blacks weren't wanted, and certainly not atheists. these people have forced me to live in seclusion because of their attacks on me. these are the older generation, that want it their way.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:15 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,766,181 times
Out of all that - that is what you picked up? Read what she is saying? If any of this has truth to it - there is a lot more going on than me calling Astoria a city in Queens. Oh and by the way it is a neigborhood of Queens not NYC.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:35 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,072,986 times
Quote:
Out of all that - that is what you picked up? Read what she is saying? If any of this has truth to it - there is a lot more going on than me calling Astoria a city in Queens. Oh and by the way it is a neigborhood of Queens not NYC.
I hope you know, that Queens, is part of New York City. You do realize that, right?

Old 02-05-2009, 08:43 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,573,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathleenburns View Post
I am not talking about the younger people, i am talking about the people my age in their 60s and 70s, they are a very different breed. they hate change, they hate anything new. they want to keep Astoria their way. some one even ripped my Obama sticker of my door when he was running for election. i had hoped it was too small for them to notice. i have seen a lot here over the years. if they didn't like a business that opened up they burned or bombed it to get rid of it. if you know astoria, the post office we have now is on 31st near 23rd ave. we had another one years ago. on 31st street near 21st. ave. a night club opened up near ditmars, that some one wanted gone. so they blew it up with tnt. they didn't just take the club, but they took the whole block, up to 21st ave. they got rid of our post office that was there. the crater they left was huge. several businesses were and set fire to, they play hard ball. we had gay bar on 23rd ave. years ago, boy did they want that gone. they told him if they don't get out, they would be burnt out. so the gays left, didn't want any gays in astoria. many years ago people wanted to get rid of some people on my block. they were having meetings as to how to get rid of them, they decided they would burn them out. they sent a warning to the people living in that house, get out or be burnt out. these people got scared, late one night they moved out, and left the house, to never return. i lived here for a long time, what i say is not false, i lived through it.
these people have fought change so hard, to keep every thing just they wanted it. gays weren't wanted, blacks weren't wanted, and certainly not atheists. these people have forced me to live in seclusion because of their attacks on me. these are the older generation, that want it their way.
As a matter of historical reference, can you kindly date the calendar of events you described? It doesn't have to be specific as to month just the year in which each event occurred. Thanks.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:37 AM

Default Astoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
As a matter of historical reference, can you kindly date the calendar of events you described? It doesn't have to be specific as to month just the year in which each event occurred. Thanks.
now you are asking me about some thing that happened many years ago, but off hand i would think it might have been in the late 80s. my ex was personal friends of the man that owned the club, that was blown up. i never thought i would see a crater that big, i was there when they recovered the bomb so i saw that.
As for the others, i moved here in 63 so i know they went on through the 90s. you will never find anything, astoria was very good about hushing any thing bad in astoria. when we witnessed any thing that happened, we thought it would be in the news on tv, the newspapers, it never was. we would search all the free papers in hopes of finding some thing, but we couldn't. unless you witnessed it first hand you would never know. we got upset how they can be so secretive as to what happens in Astoria. people back years ago never heard of Astoria, they would ask where is that.

When we had the blackout in Astoria, no one out side of Astoria knew about it for 2 days, they wanted to hush it up. astoria does not like the internet it is harder to keep secrets. a woman was raped a block from my house, i believe it was last Sept. that has been kept very quiet, things like that don't happen in astoria.
about a 2 months ago the house across the street was broken into, the only reason i heard was some other people heard about it. a police man came to my door about a week later, and asked me if i had seen anything, it was a day time breakin. i told him no, he said you have an outside camera,I was surprised the 114th knew i had a camera, but i told him my vcr doesn't work any more.

when Astoria was first started, there were many streets that were gated, they were private, if you didn't live on that street, you weren't allowed there.

astoria still seems to think they are a private community.

i still have never found any information on the hospital and mental hospital that had a major fire in the late 50s, the only reason i found out about it was some one that witnessed it. it just seems strange that a major fire like that was hushed up, only the witnesses know. that was located where St. Johns prep. is. i don't know if you know that area of St. Johns is a native american burial ground, they always buried there dead on hill. St. Johns has been said is haunted, now i can't tell if that is true. but night workers have claimed to see some thing in the basement. they always insist on going into the basement in twos. but i must admit i have always gotten a cold feeling from the area.

one thing you should know if you go to key food, in the 80s when we had an economic slow down, stealing purses was common. they would work in 2s, one elderly person and younger person. the elderly person would ask you to help them read a label, they didn't have their glasses with them. while you are distracted the younger person would steal your money. i don't doubt this will start up again.

you really have to find some one that will give you an oral history of events they have witnessed, because astoria, history has been scrubbed clean.

also there was a brinks car robbery many years ago, the master mind behind it was a greek that owned a travel agency here in astoria, one of my ex's relatives worked for him. when the robbery
happened astoria was flooded with cops, there was more cops on the street than people. i don't think they ever recovered all the money. they watched all of us, we were all suspects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City