Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 06:17 PM

842 posts, read 4,308,695 times

Advertisements

I used to live on 30th Ave. & 33rd St. in my childhood. I remember there was a Korean neighbor from across the street, whos daughter became addicted to drugs because of her boyfriends and eventually ran away. But those were still bad times in the 90's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 04:06 PM

10 posts, read 65,888 times
Hi. I've lived in Astoria for 30 years & it has always been
a safe area. 30th ave is great b/c it has a lot of shops.
Astoria is IMO the safest part of Queens, along with Bay Terrace.

Old 06-16-2008, 04:31 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,060,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessBelle View Post
Hi. I've lived in Astoria for 30 years & it has always been
a safe area. 30th ave is great b/c it has a lot of shops.
LOL,that is the 1st time I have ever heard that. Don't even put Astoria and Bay Terrace in the same sentence.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:26 PM

34,068 posts, read 47,260,557 times
astoria used to be a bad neighborhood?

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-16-2008, 06:06 PM

25 posts, read 82,778 times
Mother in law speaks of the gang in the 40s and 50s---the Astoria Gents. They used to go into her neighborhood to the south and bully the kids. A co-worker friend of mine grew up there around the same time period. She never heard of the Gents...she is what one would call "lace-curtain-Irish."

Old 06-17-2008, 12:32 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,913,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessBelle View Post
You obviously haven't explored a good majority of Queens if you think that.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:52 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,983,626 times
Astoria is very safe, but there's definitely safer areas on the east side of Queens.

Old 07-20-2013, 05:21 PM

273 posts, read 672,615 times
In the early 90's from what I have read and older folks, as many parts of Long Island City were suffering drug crimes and prostitution , and yes Astoria was always one of those areas with rough spots, crime was increasing into what were considered the traditionally safe (and mostly Greek, Eastern European, Italian) sections of Astoria.

The areas that were roughest in Astoria is what realtors now call the Astoria/LIC areas and those areas bordering Ravenswood as Ravenswood was a very rough area (Ravenswood encompasses roughly 21st street to the east, East River to the west, about 30th Ave/30th Rd to the north and borders the Queensbridge Houses). The Astoria/LIC areas that became quite unsafe were generally below or at 34th Ave down to Queens Plaza, with a few small enclaves staying staff (Dutch Kills in the blocks north of Queens Plaza and the Crescent street area). 36th Ave was by the 70's and 80's a dump and not safe and has taken the longest time to turn around. Now it is pretty vibrant the area between 31st and Steinway.

But I have heard stories from some of the older Irish residents (yes Astoria has quite a bit of Irish) of drug addicts on some corners and the need to mind your business and have strong street smarts for some areas.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:21 PM

912 posts, read 1,131,711 times
Actually, aside from the normal project shenanigans, Astoria did have a problem with Greek "gangs" (I don't know what to call them) back in the 80s. It was never a huge problem, and Astoria was never really a bad neighborhood per say, but the groups of hoodlums (it was mostly young 1st genration greak american youths) would cause a ruckus, harass people and what not.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:28 PM

912 posts, read 1,131,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
Astoria is very safe, but there's definitely safer areas on the east side of Queens.
I would say say Astoria is the safest urban neighborhood in queens. yeah neighborhoods like Whitestone, Malba, Douglaston, forest hill gardens, are probably safer, but those are suburban neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City