Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 03:42 PM

1,184 posts, read 720,828 times

Advertisements

I lived there from 2009 to 2012...was a nice place. My neighbors were nice and friendly...I Lived near the broadway stop on the N train. I felt safe walking around at all times of night. The park was walking distance and costco had a great view .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 01:39 AM

2,599 posts, read 2,324,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa809 View Post
Born and raised in Astoria...from the 70's up intil the 90's with a brief stint in New Jersey...lol. I grew up off of 21st by the Boy's Club. Yes, that was a rougher area...my Dad actually lived in the Astoria Houses until he was 10..in 1960....and he said it was rough back then, too. My Dad's side is Italian, btw.

Anyways, it WAS a gritty neighborhood...but OH MY GOD....I canNOT imagine a better childhood!!! The thought of Astoria will always put a little tear in my eye...the old neighborhood..
I was born there as well. Moved to L.I. at age 5. I've wondered what life for me would have been like if we stayed in Astoria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francine G. View Post
Astoria has always been an interesting neighborhood!

The majority were firmly middle class, with a mix of upper- and lower- middle income too. The stores on Steinway Street were of a higher caliber back then than they are today, and the streets were cleaner.

There is lots to say about Astoria! Former Resident: Francine Gray

Cheers, Francine.

Old 08-29-2016, 04:52 PM

273 posts, read 672,936 times
Great comments. If you compare Astoria to the rest of NYC it never was a high crime area and as has been pointed out if you go by the area covered by the 114th Precinct then you encompass a few areas known for its high crime at certain periods - areas of Ravenswood, Queensbridge. As I wrote the only time there was concern of criming from the Queens Plaza/Queensbridge area creeping above Broadway was the crack epidemic of the late 80's and early 90's. This was nationwide phenomenon and was the main impetus for the Crime Bill of 1994 which helped reduce crime and offered some progressive measures but also had several aspects that has created the incarceration problem and other unintended consequences today.

Florence thanks so much for the spotlight on the past - yes you still see a few vestiges of the fancier Steinway street and you should visit as it's shopping offerings are becoming nicer. Also the old Fantasy Bedding Shop remains - great store. But now we have a nice coffee shop record store, the North African/Middle Eastern area is booming with delectable eats and small groceries and further south are some good restaurants and a few places selling some solid clothing and footware.

Overall, Astoria/LIC is MUCH safer than 25 years ago (as is much of NYC) and especially the areas of Ravenswood/Queensbridge and the area from 36th Ave south to Northern and the area around Queens Plaza. But these areas have gotten more expensive and some spots suffer from excess visitors - the consequence of popularity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City