Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 10:05 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,617,094 times

Advertisements

I was watching goodfellas and was nostalgic, are there any italian areas left in NYC besides SI?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 10:48 AM

1,104 posts, read 3,705,102 times
Howard Beach, Queens I believe still us. There are a few pockets but not nearly as many as there were. Its been a long time since a large influx of Italian immigrants. Many of the Italian Americans now are mixed with other nationalities and live all over the US.

Old 12-27-2008, 11:42 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,093,843 times
certain neighborhoods in The Bronx are still very Italian.Arthur Avenue is still claimed by some to be "the real Little Italy" of New York. Although there are not very many Italians still living there the restaurants, bakeries and other shops are still going strong and it has maintained a very ethnic flavor.Morris Park is still a heavily Italian neighborhood and they have many good restaurants,bakeries,butchers ,etc and have their own Columbus Day parade .

Old 12-27-2008, 01:46 PM

536 posts, read 2,349,908 times
My vote goes to Howard Beach. Ozone Park, Whitestone, Middle Village, Bensonhurst, any former Italian hoods in the Bronx, etc have become significantly mixed relatively recently.

Old 12-27-2008, 02:26 PM

468 posts, read 2,359,689 times
Bensonhurst?

Old 12-27-2008, 07:22 PM

2,441 posts, read 6,264,980 times
The Country Club section of The Bronx, which is near the Throggs Neck Bridge, is 99% Italian. Bensonhurst is no longer Italian.

Old 12-27-2008, 07:24 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,956,576 times
Most of Long Island is pretty Italian. I think many of the italians end up moving to the suburbs. People I know growing up on Long Island who were nearly 100% italian had their family move to the suburbs once the kids reached school age.

Old 12-27-2008, 08:06 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,923,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysocks View Post
My vote goes to Howard Beach. Ozone Park, Whitestone, Middle Village, Bensonhurst, any former Italian hoods in the Bronx, etc have become significantly mixed relatively recently.
Scratch out Ozone Park and otherwise these about about it. Howard Beach, Whitestone, and Middle Village don't really have an ethnic feel to them, they are just mostly typical white areas with a large proportion of Italian Americans. Bensonhurst is more mixed now, but still have a Italian feel to it. I never been to Authur Avenue or Morris Park/Pelham Bay. I wonder how Italian those neighborhoods are.

Old 12-27-2008, 10:46 PM

718 posts, read 2,326,373 times
Not really thanks to our good friend gentrification. Rising rents city wide and adding millions of Pennsyltuckyians by the second to push the bad element (this is not race or ethnicity specific) farther into the boroughs has ruined the fabric of these once great strongholds of working class Italian America.

I know what your response will be. "But they chose to leave. They could have stayed." Wrong. When your block goes from tight community and leaving doors unlocked to a newcomer's doormat where they come speaking a different language and are as clean as a pig on a farm, you cannot stay because your quality of life is lowered. Newcomer will not be your friend and will instead disrespect your generational tenure or try to take advantage of you for their own good. Therefore you have to package up the good memories and move onward to a place with a similar or better quality of life.

Looking forward, these Italian neighborhoods will survive only in the memories of those who knew them.

Old 12-28-2008, 09:17 AM

2,541 posts, read 11,340,227 times
all the italians moved to Long Island

it is better that way, they got beaches, and there is nothing better than seeing hot LI italian girls at the beach hubba hubba hubba

but by the time they all grow, they just move to NYC anyways to become the yuppies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City