Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2013, 04:12 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,744,516 times

Advertisements

Today i had an appt for an EKG on 2426 Eastchester Rd between Mace and Waring. I arrived by taking Waring east from Williamsbridge Rd, parked on the street by the Vozza and Huguenot Law Office. It felt as "suburban" as N Riverdale but different in it's own way. Many of the businesses were Italian owned. 'd assume this nice area is still heavily italian. Is it still?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 04:47 PM

9,252 posts, read 24,122,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
Today i had an appt for an EKG on 2426 Eastchester Rd between Mace and Waring. I arrived by taking Waring east from Williamsbridge Rd, parked on the street by the Vozza and Huguenot Law Office. It felt as "suburban" as N Riverdale but different in it's own way. Many of the businesses were Italian owned. 'd assume this nice area is still heavily italian. Is it still?
Yes,definitely but I think the Italian population is below 50% at this point.Lots and lots of chinese have moved into that area in the last 5 years.They could be approaching 20% now.Also a lot of Albanians and Hispanics.If I had to estimate,I would say 40% still Italian,at least 15% Asian,15% Albanian,20% Hispanic and about 10% black.

There is a really good Italian restaurant on Eastchester called Fratelli.Near Mace,on the East side.
Also a nice Italian market,Battaglia's,on the corner of Mace and a weird Albanian bar I recently discovered on Mace just West of Eastchester Rd.

Last edited by bluedog2; 08-15-2013 at 04:56 PM..

Old 08-17-2013, 11:50 AM

25,426 posts, read 37,189,609 times
Nope,
Nothing is Italian anymore.

Old 08-17-2013, 12:47 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,744,516 times
why would so many long time Italians(or whoever had lived there for a long time) flee an area that is so clean and decent? unless its to have a bigger property...

Old 08-17-2013, 12:54 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,936,391 times
Quote:
why would so many long time Italians(or whoever had lived there for a long time) flee an area that is so clean and decent? unless its to have a bigger property...
I personally never understood this myself. I think it has to do with the older Italians staying there until they die off, and their kids end up moving as they get older and that their kids can go to better schools.

Old 08-17-2013, 03:26 PM

9,252 posts, read 24,122,601 times
Quote:
There hasn't really been that much Italian flight from that neighborhood,or Morris Park,when you think about it.The loss of the Italian population has been more of a small steady leak over a 40 or 50 year period rather than some kind of "flight",as in The South Bronx or other NYC areas, where the entire demographic flipped totally in the space of 10 years or so.When the real old timers die yes,some of their houses get sold to "outsiders" but most are still passed down in the family or sold to other Italians who grew up in the area.Lots of younger Italian families with little kids still there,mostly sending their kids to Catholic schools.

The fact that the area still has a 60% or 70% white population in a city that is only 40% white and in a borough that is only 15 or 20% white speaks to a stability rather than any big "flight."

If there has been any "flight" from this area it was was the jews ,because even when the white population of the neighborhood was 80 or 90% white it was never more than maybe 55 or 60 % Italian. The other 25 or 30% were jews and they are now down to maybe 5% at most.Even the Jews didn't really flee though.Unlike the Italians,virtually none of the younger Jews stayed after the 1970's.They had more upward mobility and kids left for college and never came back,except to visit aging parents and grand parents.They all became doctors,lawyers or accountants and moved Manhattan or Westchester.Most of the Jews left in the neighborhood now are quite old.There are a few old Jewish ladies in my building that have been here since they got married in the 1950's !

Last edited by bluedog2; 08-17-2013 at 04:17 PM..

Old 08-17-2013, 07:45 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,936,391 times
Good post bluedog and I agree completely.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:28 AM

579 posts, read 947,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
There hasn't really been that much Italian flight from that neighborhood,or Morris Park,when you think about it.The loss of the Italian population has been more of a small steady leak over a 40 or 50 year period rather than some kind of "flight",as in The South Bronx or other NYC areas, where the entire demographic flipped totally in the space of 10 years or so.When the real old timers die yes,some of their houses get sold to "outsiders" but most are still passed down in the family or sold to other Italians who grew up in the area.Lots of younger Italian families with little kids still there,mostly sending their kids to Catholic schools.

The fact that the area still has a 60% or 70% white population in a city that is only 40% white and in a borough that is only 15 or 20% white speaks to a stability rather than any big "flight."

If there has been any "flight" from this area it was was the jews ,because even when the white population of the neighborhood was 80 or 90% white it was never more than maybe 55 or 60 % Italian. The other 25 or 30% were jews and they are now down to maybe 5% at most.Even the Jews didn't really flee though.Unlike the Italians,virtually none of the younger Jews stayed after the 1970's.They had more upward mobility and kids left for college and never came back,except to visit aging parents and grand parents.They all became doctors,lawyers or accountants and moved Manhattan or Westchester.Most of the Jews left in the neighborhood now are quite old.There are a few old Jewish ladies in my building that have been here since they got married in the 1950's !
I agree with a lot of what you say here bluedog. Italians are not the ones that usually flee. They usually are the last to leave. I saw it growing up. Look at Belmont and other Italian enclaves that stayed in their Bronx neighborhoods even through the 70's and 80's when the Bronx was burning. The neighborhood I grew up in the Bronx was an Italian ghetto (not this one) that survived well into the 80's. What happened was that my generation (second generation American) moved away while our grandparents and parents stayed on. We would come back and visit mom and pop on Sundays but moved to the suburbs to "a better life." Now most of them regret the changes to the old neighborhood refusing to place blame on themselves where it really belongs. If you really wanted the neighborhood to remain Italian, you need to have Italian people live there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City