Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 08:13 PM

866 posts, read 4,260,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Outside of the Arthur Avenue stretch which has quite a few Italian owned businesses, Belmont is not really that Italian. It's a mostly Black, Hispanic, and Albanian neighborhood now. Morris Park has a much larger Italian community, but even that neighborhood is considered mixed.
I heard that many of the Italian businesses on Arthur Av. are owned by Albanians anyway, so really Arthur Av. has basically turned into a little tourist area, EXCEPT for the market, that its real in there, if your ever in the bronx you have to stop at the Arthur Av. Market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 10:40 PM

718 posts, read 2,326,373 times
It is somewhat a tourist area as not many Italians live there anymore. Many of the people there during the day are Italians originally from the Bronx now living in Westchester or CT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexterguy View Post
I heard that many of the Italian businesses on Arthur Av. are owned by Albanians anyway, so really Arthur Av. has basically turned into a little tourist area, EXCEPT for the market, that its real in there, if your ever in the bronx you have to stop at the Arthur Av. Market.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:08 PM

33 posts, read 184,121 times
Italian areas left are Morris Park, part of Allerton Avenue, in the Bronx. Howard Beach, Whitestone, parts of Ozone Park in Queens, Gravesend, Bath Beach, Dyker Heights, and Bensonhurst in Brooklyn.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:40 PM

749 posts, read 2,456,632 times
Astoria, Queens along Ditmars and north of Steinway. I live on a 99% Italian street. The other 1% is Filipino (me). I've been told there's a lot of Filipinos in Roma since we're also devout Roman Catholics, so they like me.

Old 01-31-2009, 05:41 PM

866 posts, read 4,260,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biskit View Post
Astoria, Queens along Ditmars and north of Steinway. I live on a 99% Italian street. The other 1% is Filipino (me). I've been told there's a lot of Filipinos in Roma since we're also devout Roman Catholics, so they like me.
Is Astoria still The "Greek Town" of New York City or is it mostly a mixed neighborhood?

I did not know that there was a lot of Italians in Astoria.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:38 PM

749 posts, read 2,456,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexterguy View Post
Is Astoria still The "Greek Town" of New York City or is it mostly a mixed neighborhood?

I did not know that there was a lot of Italians in Astoria.
It's pretty diverse but I think it will always be known as the Greek Town of New York. It's definitely the largest European group in the area.

There is a pretty large Italian population in Astoria. Some of the best Italian restaurants in the city are on Ditmars and some of the best Italian delis and coffee shops are on Broadway and 30th Ave near 46th Street.

I've lived in every pocket of Astoria and they live all over and tend to own a lot of the property here. All the split level houses i've had an apartment in where owned by Italians.

46th Street in particular is pretty much exclusively Italian from Broadway to 25th Ave as you can see from the businesses and Italian flags on cars. Ditmars too.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:53 PM

4,437 posts, read 5,164,801 times
Bensonhurst is 1/3 Italian, 1/3 Chinese/Asian and 1/3 Russian/Eastern Europe.
It will be interesting to see what happens with our devastating recession we are going through and how it will affect future settlement patterns. Illegal Eastern Euros, Carribean and Chinese illegals seem to be in a better position to hang tough. The Mexican/Central Americans numbers might start to retract or at least hold steady barely.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:39 AM

10,087 posts, read 14,483,337 times
No one mentioned the Graham Avenue area in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. This third "L train" stop area is loaded with old-school Italians and has a lot of Italian-influenced restaurants, stores, and shops still being ran be old-timers today. Many of the 2, 3, and 4 family buildings in this area are still Italian-family-owned. Although the number is dropping, Italians still have a large presence in the area bounded by Grand St to the south, Union Avenue to the west, the BQE Expressway to the north, and Bushwick Avenue (roughly) to the east.
Whoever hasn't been over there should visit. There are many Italian gems in terms of stores and restaurants still in the area.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:56 PM

415 posts, read 1,396,049 times
Graham ave is hipster country. You are more likely to find somebody speaking polish than italian there. Howard Beach and a few parts of the bronx. And many parts of long island.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:28 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,679,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheGtrain View Post
Graham ave is hipster country. You are more likely to find somebody speaking polish than italian there. Howard Beach and a few parts of the bronx. And many parts of long island.
Some of the streets around there still have a lot of Italians. Check out this Google Street View image of Italian flags tied over Devoe Street. brooklyn ny - Google Maps I saw this the last time I was there (toggle until you are looking east); in addition to this there are still a LOT of Italian flags waving from people's cars and homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City