Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 12:00 PM

34,179 posts, read 47,465,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHellcat01 View Post
Yes I absolutely agree with you that putting housing projects in Far Rockaway certainly made the crime rate go through the roof. I've also been told that adding that overground train system that goes from Far Rockaway all the way to Rockaway Park didn't help matters either. Do you think that adding the elevated train lines contributed to Far Rockaway's crime problem too? My mother told me that the combination of building housing projects, and the elevated train lines both contributed to Far Rockaway's downfall. Speaking of projects everybody I know who's either lived or traveled through Far Rockaway always said that the one area to avoid is the Redfern Housing Projects. Do you think the area where the Redfern Housing Projects are is the worst part of Far Rockaway? I know people are scared to be in that area in broad daylight never mind at night. I've also heard people say that once you get into the Redfern Housing Projects you might never be seen or heard from again.
Lol Redfern is pretty bad, but the worst was and always will be to this day Edgemere. It's bad over there but saying that you'll never been seen or heard from again is a bit of a stretch.

You really have no choice on where to put the train: we can't build it underground, and the MTA doesn't do grade crossings in the subway system - the last one was eliminated in 1973 near the East 105th Street train station in Canarsie.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 03:28 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,428,193 times
I love the beach.

Old 09-23-2013, 04:04 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,901,594 times
Quote:
You're talking about the elevated train lines that I mentioned in my previous post right?
Yes , parts of the Subway system used to be the Railroads...

Old 09-24-2013, 12:20 AM

45 posts, read 89,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Lol Redfern is pretty bad, but the worst was and always will be to this day Edgemere. It's bad over there but saying that you'll never been seen or heard from again is a bit of a stretch.

You really have no choice on where to put the train: we can't build it underground, and the MTA doesn't do grade crossings in the subway system - the last one was eliminated in 1973 near the East 105th Street train station in Canarsie.
The projects in Edgemere you're talking about are the ones on Beach 40th & 41st St. right? One other housing project in the Rockaways that I hear is bad are the Hammel Houses. I understand your point of view on the trains, maybe I misheard something my mother said about that because to be perfectly honest with you, I really don't believe that they added to Far Rockaway's problems. I recently looked at pictures of Edgemere and Arverne, and I noticed there is still a lot of vacant lots and land area in those neighborhoods. I know people say that Arverne's getting better because they built that Arverne by the Sea complex, but one complex in my opinion can't transform a whole neighborhood.

The problem I have with those two neighborhoods and all the vacant land area in those neighborhoods, is that a neighborhood with such a high amount of vacant land is known to have drug dealers and gangbangers. Just out of curiosity have you ever noticed any gangs or drug deals in the vacant lots in Arverne or Edgemere? As much as people may say Arverne is improving, I still feel that there is a lot of room for improvement. Like I said before the neighborhood just gives off a shady vibe when it has so much vacant land area, it's like you can't feel at ease when you travel through a neighborhood like that. I honestly feel that until more of the vacant land areas in Arverne/Edgemere have something put in their place, I'll always look at them and see them as undesirable and unsafe. That's my honest opinion on that if you want to post a rebuttal to what I just said feel free to.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:37 AM

42 posts, read 84,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunngar View Post
Far Rockaway is sometimes not very popular, unless you happen to catch the violent crimes and horrific tragedies which take place there.

Two two mothers sent their hardworking sons off to summer jobs on the Far Rockaway beach, where the July sun burned as brightly as each teen's future.
Patrick Hernandez, 18, was a few weeks short of escaping the dangerous streets of "The Rock," ready to start his freshman year of college on an upstate campus.
Karon Lenihan, 17, was working two jobs this summer - "a good boy," family-oriented and generous, according to his mom. His junior year of high school awaited

Their paths crossed as they worked cleaning the beach - and then again on Beach 16th St. after their July 10 shift ended, authorities say. A shotgun blast reverberated in the salt-scented air; Hernandez was left to die, and Lenihan was arrested for murder.
---------
The cities solutions to these acts? More Police. It isn't working, and the survaillence presense only helps maintain less murder in specific zones, as everyone knows of their presense.

More cops, community recreation after Rockaway crime surge will give you more insite into what kind of programs are being done for this madness to stop.

Would it surprise you to learn that most of the murders that take place in 'The Rock', are actually done by young teenagers, merely for reputation?

Please visit our Far Rockaway/Inwood forums, http://freeinwood.forumgogo.com/ and help with far rockaways' problem, offer solutions, and help us with them.

Also visit our parent website.. www.freeinwood.org
We have essays and other literature we think you might find interesting.

Thank you,
Dunngar
I remember this. I was at the park working with the young man who died. I never knew him but as everyone was leaving for the day, we heard a loud BOOM like a garbage truck crashing. We ran up the block to hear a man screaming crying and a body under a white sheet. I'll never forget it. I went to school with the guy who shot him. Quiet guy from the projects, kinda a weirdo. Never would have guessed he'd be capable of killing someone. The guy who was killed was popular too. Every time I return to far rock, it makes me so sad to see a place with no hope or progress.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:30 AM

Quote:
The projects in Edgemere you're talking about are the ones on Beach 40th & 41st St. right? One other housing project in the Rockaways that I hear is bad are the Hammel Houses. I understand your point of view on the trains, maybe I misheard something my mother said about that because to be perfectly honest with you, I really don't believe that they added to Far Rockaway's problems. I recently looked at pictures of Edgemere and Arverne, and I noticed there is still a lot of vacant lots and land area in those neighborhoods. I know people say that Arverne's getting better because they built that Arverne by the Sea complex, but one complex in my opinion can't transform a whole neighborhood.

The problem I have with those two neighborhoods and all the vacant land area in those neighborhoods, is that a neighborhood with such a high amount of vacant land is known to have drug dealers and gangbangers. Just out of curiosity have you ever noticed any gangs or drug deals in the vacant lots in Arverne or Edgemere? As much as people may say Arverne is improving, I still feel that there is a lot of room for improvement. Like I said before the neighborhood just gives off a shady vibe when it has so much vacant land area, it's like you can't feel at ease when you travel through a neighborhood like that. I honestly feel that until more of the vacant land areas in Arverne/Edgemere have something put in their place, I'll always look at them and see them as undesirable and unsafe. That's my honest opinion on that if you want to post a rebuttal to what I just said feel free to.
Edgemere is from Beach 51st to Beach 58th. Nobody would want to hang out in those vacant lots; they're full of weeds.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:41 AM

45 posts, read 89,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Edgemere is from Beach 51st to Beach 58th. Nobody would want to hang out in those vacant lots; they're full of weeds.
I saw photos of Beach 51st to 59th Street and WOW! I can't believe how many housing projects are in that area. I also noticed some vacant lots across the street from that area so I just have one other question to ask you. When you said nobody wants to hang out in the vacant lots because they're full of weeds did you mean all the vacant lots in Arverne/Edgemere, or just the vacant lots across the street from the projects?

Old 09-25-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
I saw photos of Beach 51st to 59th Street and WOW! I can't believe how many housing projects are in that area. I also noticed some vacant lots across the street from that area so I just have one other question to ask you. When you said nobody wants to hang out in the vacant lots because they're full of weeds did you mean all the vacant lots in Arverne/Edgemere, or just the vacant lots across the street from the projects?
All of the vacant lots.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:21 AM

2 posts, read 4,740 times
has this since improved?

Old 02-03-2014, 02:01 PM

1 posts, read 3,816 times
I live in Ocean Park Apartments .This is the worse place to settle down.During the winter we have problem with heat .During the summer , more crime.I think that any project is a hell .The owner do what ever they want with us .They have attornys we have zero chance to fight with them. So we have to keep mouth closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: