Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 11:44 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,996,001 times

Advertisements

Far Rockaway also has very nice areas. Go east of Mott Avenue, and the project style housing gives way to nice homes (houses with front yards and backyards). This part of Far Rockaway has a heavy Jewish population (not everyone is Jewish, but it certainly gives a middle class/upper middle class feel).

While the Rockaways certainly have rough housing project parts, there were always nice parts of the Rockaways (the Jewish section of Far Rockaway, Breezy Point, Belle Harbor, Neposit, etc.) In recent years parts of Edgemere and Arverne have gentrified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 10:15 PM

45 posts, read 88,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
Seagirt is ruff. I got a lot of hard looks last time I was down there. I saw a crowd gathering in the broad daylight around the front of one of those beach bungalows, someone was passed out on the ground, don't know from what. Looked like drama, I was out of there.
That's unfortunate that you had to experience that the last time you were there. My aunt used to live in the Roy Reuther apartments on Beach 6th St. & Seagirt Ave. My family and I used to visit her during the summer and hang out on the beach behind her apartment. We never ran into any trouble or had any incidents when we visited my aunt. I had another aunt and uncle who lived in one of the beach bungalows you described. They lived on the corner of Beach 5th St. & Seagirt Ave. My family and I never had any problems or incidents when we visited them, but I guess it helped that we were traveling as a family and not individually. Were you traveling by yourself when the crowd gave you hard looks? If you were I have to congratulate you for getting out of there alive and unscathed. From the way you described that person passed out on the ground, I feel that if you didn't get out of there sooner you might've been the next person down on the ground if those nasty people had their way with you.

It's such a shame the way Far Rockaway just went down the toilet over the last 40 years or so. Far Rockaway was once a beautiful, attractive, vibrant area in Queens. My parents told me when they were children that people from the Five Towns used to travel into Far Rockaway just to shop there or go to the movies there. My parents especially my mother knew she had to get out of Far Rockaway once she and my grandmother were mugged in their own house. Granted this incident happened in the early 70s when Far Rockaway was just starting to go bad, but based on what you've said and from what everyone else on this board is saying, it doesn't seem like Far Rockaway is getting any better 40-45 years after it started to go downhill.

Somebody on another forum posted this chart that listed precincts in Queens with the highest amount of call-ins and incidents. Far Rockaway's precinct had the most call-ins and incidents to report which surprised me because I always thought Jamaica was the one Queens neighborhood that was worse than Far Rockaway. I also have to say that I remember my sister talking about how she was traveling to work one day and she tried to get onto Seagirt Blvd. but couldn't because the cops closed the whole street. I don't know what happened that day but I'm sure it wasn't anything good if the whole street was closed. I can tell you this incident happened in 2010 so it was a few years back but still fairly recent.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:27 AM

34,104 posts, read 47,338,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHellcat01 View Post
That's unfortunate that you had to experience that the last time you were there. My aunt used to live in the Roy Reuther apartments on Beach 6th St. & Seagirt Ave. My family and I used to visit her during the summer and hang out on the beach behind her apartment. We never ran into any trouble or had any incidents when we visited my aunt. I had another aunt and uncle who lived in one of the beach bungalows you described. They lived on the corner of Beach 5th St. & Seagirt Ave. My family and I never had any problems or incidents when we visited them, but I guess it helped that we were traveling as a family and not individually. Were you traveling by yourself when the crowd gave you hard looks? If you were I have to congratulate you for getting out of there alive and unscathed. From the way you described that person passed out on the ground, I feel that if you didn't get out of there sooner you might've been the next person down on the ground if those nasty people had their way with you.

It's such a shame the way Far Rockaway just went down the toilet over the last 40 years or so. Far Rockaway was once a beautiful, attractive, vibrant area in Queens. My parents told me when they were children that people from the Five Towns used to travel into Far Rockaway just to shop there or go to the movies there. My parents especially my mother knew she had to get out of Far Rockaway once she and my grandmother were mugged in their own house. Granted this incident happened in the early 70s when Far Rockaway was just starting to go bad, but based on what you've said and from what everyone else on this board is saying, it doesn't seem like Far Rockaway is getting any better 40-45 years after it started to go downhill.

Somebody on another forum posted this chart that listed precincts in Queens with the highest amount of call-ins and incidents. Far Rockaway's precinct had the most call-ins and incidents to report which surprised me because I always thought Jamaica was the one Queens neighborhood that was worse than Far Rockaway. I also have to say that I remember my sister talking about how she was traveling to work one day and she tried to get onto Seagirt Blvd. but couldn't because the cops closed the whole street. I don't know what happened that day but I'm sure it wasn't anything good if the whole street was closed. I can tell you this incident happened in 2010 so it was a few years back but still fairly recent.
The city put too much public housing out here that's what happened.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-22-2013, 10:24 AM

1,557 posts, read 3,308,758 times
Quote:

Yes, It was just me walking alone. I can not say all of Far Rock is bad though, I met a sweet older woman who gave me a history lesson about the Beach st bungalows and even invited me into her place! It was tidy and very well kept.

Old 09-23-2013, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
The city put too much public housing out here that's what happened.
Yes I absolutely agree with you that putting housing projects in Far Rockaway certainly made the crime rate go through the roof. I've also been told that adding that overground train system that goes from Far Rockaway all the way to Rockaway Park didn't help matters either. Do you think that adding the elevated train lines contributed to Far Rockaway's crime problem too? My mother told me that the combination of building housing projects, and the elevated train lines both contributed to Far Rockaway's downfall. Speaking of projects everybody I know who's either lived or traveled through Far Rockaway always said that the one area to avoid is the Redfern Housing Projects. Do you think the area where the Redfern Housing Projects are is the worst part of Far Rockaway? I know people are scared to be in that area in broad daylight never mind at night. I've also heard people say that once you get into the Redfern Housing Projects you might never be seen or heard from again.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:36 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,868,204 times
Quote:
Yes I absolutely agree with you that putting housing projects in Far Rockaway certainly made the crime rate go through the roof. I've also been told that adding that overground train system that goes from Far Rockaway all the way to Rockaway Park didn't help matters either. Do you think that adding the elevated train lines contributed to Far Rockaway's crime problem too? My mother told me that the combination of building housing projects, and the elevated train lines both contributed to Far Rockaway's downfall. Speaking of projects everybody I know who's either lived or traveled through Far Rockaway always said that the one area to avoid is the Redfern Housing Projects. Do you think the area where the Redfern Housing Projects are is the worst part of Far Rockaway? I know people are scared to be in that area in broad daylight never mind at night. I've also heard people say that once you get into the Redfern Housing Projects you might never be seen or heard from again.
The railroad was built in 1888 , so I doubt it caused Far Rockaways collapse.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:36 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,921,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Far Rockaway also has very nice areas. Go east of Mott Avenue, and the project style housing gives way to nice homes (houses with front yards and backyards). This part of Far Rockaway has a heavy Jewish population (not everyone is Jewish, but it certainly gives a middle class/upper middle class feel).

While the Rockaways certainly have rough housing project parts, there were always nice parts of the Rockaways (the Jewish section of Far Rockaway, Breezy Point, Belle Harbor, Neposit, etc.) In recent years parts of Edgemere and Arverne have gentrified.
That area you're referring to is known as Bayswater. It's a mostly middle class mixed black/jewish area.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
The railroad was built in 1888 , so I doubt it caused Far Rockaways collapse.
You're talking about the elevated train lines that I mentioned in my previous post right?

Old 09-23-2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
That area you're referring to is known as Bayswater. It's a mostly middle class mixed black/jewish area.
Bayswater is west of Mott Ave. not east.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post

There's a few blocks in Far Rockaway with nice homes that I remember seeing. There were nice homes in Far Rockaway on streets such as Beach 9th St. Virginia St. and Sage St. I don't know if those were the blocks you were thinking of but I remember traveling down those blocks, and all the houses on those streets looked pretty nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: