Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 05:53 PM

34,189 posts, read 47,492,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minus View Post
Is it really so horrible? It has an undesirable element, but it's not a warzone. People do live and work there everyday. I don't understand why people are so adamant in saying that such-and-such area is horrible and anyone who says otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about. Obviously, the B&B stays in business, as does the hardware store. If there's 4 good reviews on the site, that's at least 4 people who went and had a good experience.

I will admit that I haven't been there in a while - the last time I was there was in 2005 (I think). But I went to school on 94th Street in the mid 1990s, and I had a friend who lived on 110th and 3rd. I walked from school to his place probably once a week on average, for 2 years (at least during the school year).

Yes, I did get robbed - twice. But I was 12 years old and alone both times, not 3 55 year old men. Back then the school gave us bus passes - both times I was approached by a group of older kids who wanted mine. One of the times, they didn't even want my wallet (not that there was any money in it, anyway...)

But the other 50 or 60 times I took the trip? Nothing. And I'd venture the area is no worse now than it was then, probably better.

Finally, yes, there are tons of projects around there. Of course. There are also banks, restaurants, stores... and the place is on 3rd Ave. That is not a desolate side street, even up there. Besides, I doubt that the OP is just going to be wandering around outside in the vicinity for hours on his vacation. He's from Chicago, right? I'm sure he knows how to conduct himself in an urban environment.

But, ultimately... I seem to be in the minority here. It's definitely not a nice area. Perhaps it is best to be cautious.
good honest post.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 05:59 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,981,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minus View Post
Is it really so horrible? It has an undesirable element, but it's not a warzone. People do live and work there everyday. I don't understand why people are so adamant in saying that such-and-such area is horrible and anyone who says otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about. Obviously, the B&B stays in business, as does the hardware store. If there's 4 good reviews on the site, that's at least 4 people who went and had a good experience.

I will admit that I haven't been there in a while - the last time I was there was in 2005 (I think). But I went to school on 94th Street in the mid 1990s, and I had a friend who lived on 110th and 3rd. I walked from school to his place probably once a week on average, for 2 years (at least during the school year).

Yes, I did get robbed - twice.

wow! you've really been conditioned to accept the sh*t huh?
robbed twice in the same area and you're still singing it's praises.
it takes all kinds!

Old 06-10-2008, 06:59 PM

34,189 posts, read 47,492,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
it takes all kinds!
so i guess if i get robbed on lex and 75th i should stay away from there?
whats up with you lately? you're on a rampage.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-10-2008, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
so i guess if i get robbed on lex and 75th i should stay away from there?
whats up with you lately? you're on a rampage.
but you weren't and if you were robbed there twice, a normal person would think that the area is dangerous and do what they can to stay away. I just can't grasp how you guys can try and explain away crap like this.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:52 PM

415 posts, read 1,397,347 times
APVBGUY is right on the money. The place is a high crime dump. No need to sugar coat it.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:12 PM

757 posts, read 3,367,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
it takes all kinds!
You didn't read the post, or else you never were a kid.

I grew up in a neighborhood where people never locked their houses -- without consequence. But my brother's bike was stolen by classmates when he was about 12. It's not unusual for kids to act out in adolescence, and sounds to me like Minus was just the younger, weaker target for some teenaged bullies. Don't make it sound worse than it was.

My opinion is with those who say it's not the best location, but people go about their business everyday and return home safely. No reason why you, especially as a seasoned urbanite, shouldn't too.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:35 PM

317 posts, read 1,145,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbro View Post
You didn't read the post, or else you never were a kid.

I grew up in a neighborhood where people never locked their houses -- without consequence. But my brother's bike was stolen by classmates when he was about 12. It's not unusual for kids to act out in adolescence, and sounds to me like Minus was just the younger, weaker target for some teenaged bullies. Don't make it sound worse than it was.

My opinion is with those who say it's not the best location, but people go about their business everyday and return home safely. No reason why you, especially as a seasoned urbanite, shouldn't too.
Exactly... I was 12 and an easy target at the time. I didn't have much of an option to avoid the area, anyway, since I went to school nearby and I wasn't about to stop hanging out with my friend because some two bit thug swiped my bus pass.

I knew someone who was once robbed on Church St. downtown, but it would be silly to say that people should avoid the Financial District. These things can happen anywhere.

I don't think that anyone is trying to say that the area in question is good, but I know I've felt more tense in certain areas than I would at 103rd and 3rd.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:39 AM

4 posts, read 7,642 times
I just want to thank everyone so much for their replies. Being that I am very accustomed to not-so-great areas of Chicago and taking into consideration that we will be leaving each morning, spending time in midtown and other neighborhoods, and probably returning via cab at night, we are going to stay here. Reading these posts makes me a little nervous but it is hard to take one persons opinion over the other from a thousand miles away. I have had some people reach out to me directly with pros and cons (thanks to you too!) We will make sure to keep our heads about us and just let intuition lead the way. Can't wait to come back to your city!

Old 06-11-2008, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyseed View Post
I just want to thank everyone so much for their replies. Being that I am very accustomed to not-so-great areas of Chicago and taking into consideration that we will be leaving each morning, spending time in midtown and other neighborhoods, and probably returning via cab at night, we are going to stay here. Reading these posts makes me a little nervous but it is hard to take one persons opinion over the other from a thousand miles away. I have had some people reach out to me directly with pros and cons (thanks to you too!) We will make sure to keep our heads about us and just let intuition lead the way. Can't wait to come back to your city!
good luck, you'll need it

Old 06-11-2008, 11:52 AM

4 posts, read 7,642 times
Hi apvbguy -
Since you are the most adamant of all these posts, just curious how often you pass through here weekly. Just an honest question - nothing against you-I do care about your opinion, just want to get an idea of how you justify your stance? Is it crime stats or general knowledge because you either live around there or frequent the place? Or do you know someone who does? I only ask because there are parts of my city I consider bad and wouldn't advise to tourists, but I can also admit that I never go there and things may have changed. I haven't been through Cabrini Green in a while. I don't think it technically exists as it did before. I also don't go down there to see how things are different because it will forever be Cabrini Green to me. However, if a nice b&b opened up there I would start to think, what the heck is going on there? Just curious. You don't really elaborate beyond these "zingers".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: