Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 03:52 PM

3 posts, read 22,178 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at getting an apartment around here, and I'm wondering about safety. I live in the east 90s now, but ten blocks up is definitely a different world!

The Washington Houses projects are right around this area. I know East Harlem is "up and coming" and "getting gentrified" but I'm not sure if that applies as far east as 1st Ave. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 04:21 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,047,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upuptown View Post
I'm looking at getting an apartment around here, and I'm wondering about safety. I live in the east 90s now, but ten blocks up is definitely a different world!

The Washington Houses projects are right around this area. I know East Harlem is "up and coming" and "getting gentrified" but I'm not sure if that applies as far east as 1st Ave. Any thoughts? Thanks!
That's a bad area. It is still ghetto.

But get a feel for it yourself.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:18 PM

567 posts, read 1,446,170 times
all of uptown is bad. don't let the gentrification hype fool you. "up and coming" is just a ploy to get you to spend hundreds of thousands in the ghetto. from 101st to 188th and amsterdam, down to 175th St and Audubon and 176 and St Nicholas, people will literally walk up to you and ask you to buy crack or whatever else. if your white or don't speak spanish of course they will avoid you, but drugs are still very prevalent there and we all know, with drugs comes crime.

Old 06-07-2009, 12:21 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
Part of the problem with being that far East in the low 100s is a lack of transportation that has helped to fuel the gentrification in the past few years in other more convenient areas. That's why the far east UES where you now live is still relatively affordable when compared with areas closer to the subway or closer to the park.

104th is a through street, which is a plus when compared with streets such as 103rd and similar that are fragmented as they can be deserted late at night. However, there is a very large presence of housing projects between 1st and the FDR.

Crime is down in the 23rd precinct, following a city trend, when measured over multiple years, but there significantly more robberies and assaults in the area than in the 19th precinct, which covers the UES to 96th Street. Property crime is also markedly higher than on the UES. So, while the general trend is toward safer streets, the area has not achieved numbers that are consistent with the neighborhood below 96th. Even adjusting for the higher degree of safety on the UES, the area still has a way to go in creating structural changes to the neighborhood that will result in sustained lowered crime over a longer term.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:09 AM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
the east river houses are on 1st ave and 104th street....i dont like those projects, or the thought of living across the street from them...

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-08-2009, 11:41 AM

3 posts, read 22,178 times
Thanks, everyone, for your responses! It's funny--every time I read about the area online I think, "gosh, maybe I shouldn't move there," but walking around it didn't feel so bad. There are people around, families out. I took a walk around the area at night a couple times this week. 104th between 2nd & 3rd did feel a little oddly and eerily quiet, but other than that, it seemed okay. Different from the East 90s where I live now, but okay. Maybe I'm just really missing something?!

Old 06-08-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDK94 View Post
all of uptown is bad. don't let the gentrification hype fool you. "up and coming" is just a ploy to get you to spend hundreds of thousands in the ghetto. from 101st to 188th and amsterdam, down to 175th St and Audubon and 176 and St Nicholas, people will literally walk up to you and ask you to buy crack or whatever else. if your white or don't speak spanish of course they will avoid you, but drugs are still very prevalent there and we all know, with drugs comes crime.
Go way past that man. If you cut it up to 188th you miss all the terrible hoods in Inwood like Dyckman, Isham, Post, Sherman, 207th st etcc....those are drug markets.

I think the Island is questionable up to 218th or something.

Old 06-08-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upuptown View Post
Thanks, everyone, for your responses! It's funny--every time I read about the area online I think, "gosh, maybe I shouldn't move there," but walking around it didn't feel so bad. There are people around, families out. I took a walk around the area at night a couple times this week. 104th between 2nd & 3rd did feel a little oddly and eerily quiet, but other than that, it seemed okay. Different from the East 90s where I live now, but okay. Maybe I'm just really missing something?!
Hey if you think it's good then move there. We're trying to help out but at the end of the day it is your decision.

Old 06-08-2009, 02:23 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,984,640 times
Just from a few visits, you don't really capture the feel for a neighborhood until you actually live there... if you're fine with it, then go for it.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:05 PM

49 posts, read 300,386 times
hi, if you're going to hang out in the streets, which i'm sure you're not....you'll be fine. i use to live on e. 28th street. when i first moved there everyone was "warning" me....oh you'll be close to the bellevue men's shelter, yada yada yada...i was fine. if you apartment is your home, you just go about your life & you mind your business. i'l be moving back to the city in that area within a few months. if you listen to all of the negativity that may deter you from moving. everywhere in manhattan the prices are out of control. they've actually dropped due to our current economic state but real estate is & always will be a good investment long term. best of luck!! i say go for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City