Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you comply with a city issued shelter in place order?
Yes 132 74.16%
No 46 25.84%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2020, 11:28 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,410,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
To those wanting or praying for some sort of rent freeze out of all this; just does not seem to be in the cards.

Fredo's big brother is of the opinion Albany has that covered thanks to the 90 day moratorium on evictions. OTOH people are saying (as they probably should) so what happens in June when things open up again and people owe three or four months rent?

My guess is AC simply feels LL's will take tenants to court in some cases, but the pro tenant laws of this state mean things will be settled by stipulation agreement. That is tenants will pay off back rent over a period of time via court supervised agreement. This however still means tenants will be hauled into housing court and end up on dreaded "black list", which still exists just in different forms.

OTOH cannot see how governor can waive three months rent without major financial concessions to LL's who are in essence being denied their money.
It's a crappy situation all around, no doubt about it.

Old 03-31-2020, 03:04 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,372,184 times
Quote:
This crisis again shows New York is a "tale of two cities" those with wealth, and those without.

People are still getting up and going to work (if their jobs are still there/not affected by PAUSE order), but largely these are the poorer or working class households; especially those from outer boroughs. People just cannot afford to stay home....

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/30/n...ay-riders.html

That could very well be me on the subway. I'm a retail worker and glad to still have a job but find it utterly ridiculous how much profit certain companies are making because of Covid-19 and they can only afford to temporarily raise pay by a couple of bucks an hour. Though I am getting good hours now, what's going to happen when Covid-19 is over and I have to struggle to get more hours? I'll have to find something that pays more but changing jobs isn't always the easiest thing. I'll have to network like crazy.

Old 03-31-2020, 03:18 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,998,729 times
Quote:
To those wanting or praying for some sort of rent freeze out of all this; just does not seem to be in the cards.

Fredo's big brother is of the opinion Albany has that covered thanks to the 90 day moratorium on evictions. OTOH people are saying (as they probably should) so what happens in June when things open up again and people owe three or four months rent?

My guess is AC simply feels LL's will take tenants to court in some cases, but the pro tenant laws of this state mean things will be settled by stipulation agreement. That is tenants will pay off back rent over a period of time via court supervised agreement. This however still means tenants will be hauled into housing court and end up on dreaded "black list", which still exists just in different forms.

OTOH cannot see how governor can waive three months rent without major financial concessions to LL's who are in essence being denied their money.
For people who have rent stabilized apartments unemployment should cover things. If you’re in a market rate apartment, and your lost your job you’re just way behind on things. You may have to move.

A lot of gentrifiers can just make back to their home states or communities.

Old 03-31-2020, 03:45 AM

1,430 posts, read 1,088,730 times
How long can NY pay unemployment?
Cuomo claims he already has run out of money?
Eventually the residents will riot anyhow along with
The prisoners they just released. Military tanks were already deployed in LA to prepare, Cuomo is just aliitle behind the curve.

PS. Cuomo refused to buy ventilators in 2015
2016, 2017, 2018,2019 and today.

Last edited by pappjohn; 03-31-2020 at 03:59 AM..

Old 03-31-2020, 04:20 AM

11,848 posts, read 5,823,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
Up to this stage, WHO advises “don’t wear a mask unless you are sick”

This is the major underlying cause of the explosive spread of this virus in crowded NYC...it is so unbelievably anti-science from those fake organizations who dispense false information/advice to mislead the public, considering that they know well that this virus has a long incubation period before symptoms, which often confuse with allergies/flu/common cold...

By the time when a person feels sick and suspects of it, the virus likely has passed on to hundreds who came close in contact on the crowded trains/other public venues...

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/30/world...rnd/index.html

The WHO director is the guy who conspired with the Xi’s gov to cover up for the outbreak by making as many false
claims on the situation as trump did... a perfect national/international climate for this virus to spread worldwide and climaxed in the US...
Now you are losing it - here's the scoop from a real NY doctor - [vimeo]399733860[/vimeo]
https://vimeo.com/399733860

Old 03-31-2020, 04:50 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,365,373 times
Quote:
This crisis again shows New York is a "tale of two cities" those with wealth, and those without.

People are still getting up and going to work (if their jobs are still there/not affected by PAUSE order), but largely these are the poorer or working class households; especially those from outer boroughs. People just cannot afford to stay home....

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/30/n...ay-riders.html
Many health care workers are coming from the outer boroughs by transit still, myself included.

Unfortunately, because of how they have rerouted the trains, you're finding more crowded trains that there should be at times.

I would rather be going into work than have my job completely cut, especially if I am poor or working class. I would also rather go to work than work from home. I am taking my precautions as I head out the door.

Places that were open last week are not open anymore. That's for sure.

Old 03-31-2020, 06:33 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,097,708 times
Default Covid 19 is NO MORE!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSIrQBGfUtw

Old 03-31-2020, 06:51 AM

6,480 posts, read 3,170,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappjohn View Post
How long can NY pay unemployment?

PS. Cuomo refused to buy ventilators in 2015
2016, 2017, 2018,2019 and today.

Along that line, how can the Federal Government continue to fund everything that it says it will? Yes, we, as a country, are in a dire situation, but when Trump says that we need to get back on our feet, ASAP, he isn't kidding!!! A few months of continued "supplemental handouts", and the country will be flat-out broke. Then what?? Social Security payments to retirees stop? As corporations lose their profits,and/or are forced to shut down, pension checks to their retirees stop, putting a large portion of the population in financial jeopardy? If it gets THAT serious, we're ALL in a heap of s**t..................

Any yeah, "Crybaby Cuomo", whining about not having enough ventilators, when he had the opportunity to obtain them LONG BEFORE they became a necessity......and probably at a much lower price, cry me a river! However, I feel VERY sorry for the NY residents that will have to "go without" due to his short sightedness. And MANY think that his current "grandstanding" is an attempt to put together a path to the White House??? He can't even keep a large state on an even keel, HTH would he oversee the entire country?

Old 03-31-2020, 07:33 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,092,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
I knew all along that the U.S would be the country to solve this problem.We have our own unique ways ! Thank god it's over!

Old 03-31-2020, 08:29 AM

37,223 posts, read 39,488,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
The agency whose main responsibility for dealing with situations like this is FEMA. You keep bringing up the need for an agency that does all of what you claim, but we already have one.

Other agencies specialize in certain other aspects and work directly with FEMA to help coordinate responses.

Please explain to me in detail how adding yet another agency and more bureaucracy would have changed a thing? And specifically what institutionalized knowledge that FEMA was lacking (otherwise it just seems like hot air). Again, the centralized agency for dealing with situations like this is FEMA. We had all of the institutionalized knowledge we were going to get (and acknowledging that this was a new situation for the entire world, really) under the current set up.

It seems that you are still not getting it and are very wishful in your thinking.
You turning around and saying, "no, it's you who doesn't get it" doesn't make much sense given the rather sluggish and confused federal response. FEMA does have a lot of resources, but its resources are called in to deal with fairly late in the game as relief and mitigation which is not what you want for a coordinating agency which is about monitoring and preparedness. An agency responsible for monitoring and maintaining a plan of action that includes monitoring, planning, and communicating is key and did exist until disbanded in 2018. This was something that had the sole of planning for such and the ability to raise these concerns early on, but was broken down and with positions eliminated and the rest merged into agencies that have scatter resources with different objectives. The idea at the time that it would be easy to reassemble when the time is needed--unfortunately, the idea behind such an agency is that it would be able to signal and understand when that time is needed, so the entire idea of organizing it afterwards is essentially relegating ourselves to letting things spread and then trying to deal with the aftermath.

You're questioning the efficacy of how this office would have gone, and that's obviously not something that can be answered with absolute certainty. I think one thing is that despite not being the original epicenter, having quite a bit of wealth and medical infrastructure, the US does not seem to have done a particularly good job of heading this off. I think there's pretty well documented downplaying on the federal level about this threat is and confused messaging even when technical leads of agencies were unified in what needed to be done.

You can also think about the rationale behind why the pandemic-preparedness office was formed in the first place, as maybe the rationale wasn't clear back then but recent events might have put things into focus. A literal member of that disbanded pandemic-preparedness team, a team that was part of the National Security Council and had a very direct line to the executive branch, had taken to the not-so-liberal bastion of the Wall Street Journal on January 28th with a call for the nation to get into high gear on preparing for this--something that should have been being said, and probably would have been said, to the actual top brass in the government directly. That's a very tangible what-if right there. Is it possible that had that team still existed, that person would have somehow thought differently or been ignored? Yea, it's possible as it's hard to say with any certainty. In addition to that, another thing to look at is how have nations with this kind of dedicated team, like Taiwan which has their Central Epidemic Command Center fared. The epidemic isn't over, but the results seem to have been fairly good with their early precautionary measure, a clear plan for execution, and direct and unambiguous messaging to the public. Sure, had this actually been more of a mild flu outbreak, that would have all looked silly, but the idea is that it's worth it compared to the destruction that a real pandemic would cause.

I hope you think this through a bit--it does not have to be a particular political party to be in power to have a pandemic-preparedness team. I think it's a fairly sensible policy to have such a team in place with a clear beeline to the executive branch and operating even when not in the midst of a pandemic. Would you really be that opposed to having such after this? Are you really glad that it was disbanded earlier?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City