Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you comply with a city issued shelter in place order?
Yes 132 74.16%
No 46 25.84%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2020, 10:37 AM

8,938 posts, read 4,783,898 times

Advertisements

Watching Cuomo, stay at home extended to ...May 15! I'm going to run out of food. Need to do another grocery run today. At least it's not raining...

Old 04-16-2020, 10:41 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,432,377 times
With glasses/sunglasses, I have found that certain types fit better with masks than others. I do well with aviators and wire-rimmed glasses, as opposed to a Wayfarer or other larger glasses. I have anti-fog wipes, which are like lens cleaners that work for a while. The issue is that I change sunglasses along with face masks, and they are cleaned after each use.

I have added a scarf or a bandana over the mask and that has helped with anti-fogging as well. If I get totally frustrated, though, I'm going to just grab a pair of my ski goggles as they have anti-fog properties.

A cloth face mask should be washed/sanitized regularly, and I hand wash mine (to avoid dye transfer in the machine) and use the Instant Pot and steam (placing the masks in a stainless bowl in the IP) for 15 minutes. My glasses, I just wash with soap and water and allow to fully dry. I do also run the Instant Pot with vinegar and lemon juice after cleaning it after mask sterilizing duty.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 04-16-2020, 10:50 AM

8,938 posts, read 4,783,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
I hope people realize you have to wash those cloth masks after each use. Whatever you use as a mask is meant to wear once and to be thrown away or washed.
Yeah. It's also important to know how to properly take off the mask when you come back home. You touch the loops/hair band/rubber band to get it off. Don't touch the front surface of the mask because that could be full of germs & you run risk of infection. It's the same if you need to readjust the mask when walking around. I notice reporters readjusting correctly (and incorrectly) when they're on the air.

Old 04-16-2020, 10:55 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,606,341 times
My daughter ordered me an assortment of bandanas. Then she told me don't wear red or blue cause of gang affiliations. So there is that factor to consider with bandanas as face coverings, geezus.

Old 04-16-2020, 11:03 AM

3,750 posts, read 1,449,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Yeah. It's also important to know how to properly take off the mask when you come back home. You touch the loops/hair band/rubber band to get it off. Don't touch the front surface of the mask because that could be full of germs & you run risk of infection. It's the same if you need to readjust the mask when walking around. I notice reporters readjusting correctly (and incorrectly) when they're on the air.
I;m down to a dozen surgical mask left I will have enough masks until the end of the month. It looks like I might have to use a bandana or get one of those military style half face coverings.

I just finished watching Cuomo, NYS death daily deathrate declined again. Sad, but it looks like the state is plateuing. I wonder if the city deathrate is one the decline as well?

By the numbers. Not this weekend but by next weekend NYS will have a quarter of a million or 250k infected. Looks like the U.S as a whole is approaching a million infected by the end of April or early May. I wonder if NYC will reach 200k infected by months end.

Last edited by Checkmarkblue; 04-16-2020 at 11:13 AM..

Old 04-16-2020, 11:21 AM

15,870 posts, read 14,517,338 times
People are not staying trapped in their homes. I've been going out daily for shopping, other errands, or just to get out.

Just go out and do what you need to do.

Quote:
Watching Cuomo, stay at home extended to ...May 15! I'm going to run out of food. Need to do another grocery run today. At least it's not raining...

Old 04-16-2020, 11:53 AM

5,450 posts, read 2,725,891 times

Old 04-16-2020, 11:53 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,622,555 times
I hope we take preventive measures seriously. Riverside County is huge and has a population density of 331 people per square mile. Manhattan sits at 66,940 people per square mile. A protest likely would happen in Albany, but imagine it happening in the streets of NYC. The result would not be pretty if people started to spread the infection...

Old 04-16-2020, 11:55 AM

2,317 posts, read 1,159,332 times
Quote:

It's starting to look like Dear Leader Andrew and a bunch of other blue-state governors are making a career out of Covid-19. I understand about being cautious but this b-s of teasing out a date to re-open the economy is starting to get stale. We are now at the point where many NYC businesses, especially restaurants/cafes, will just never re-open. Why re-open when at any moment in the future the governor can declare a crisis and shut you down, without even a clear legal authority. Large corporations will now be encouraged to disperse operation to less dense, less disease ridden areas. deBlasio couldn't be happier to see NYC businesses shut down but Cuomo should be smarter about it.

Old 04-16-2020, 11:57 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,506,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
It's starting to look like Dear Leader Andrew and a bunch of other blue-state governors are making a career out of Covid-19. I understand about being cautious but this b-s of teasing out a date to re-open the economy is starting to get stale.
I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.