Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 10:31 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,371,230 times

Advertisements

A lot of immigrants in the city come from 3rd world countries where their standards of public cleanliness are somewhat lower than what is normal for this country.

That problem will correct itself with time as the kids of these immigrants become more Americanized and realize it ain't cool to be dirty all the time. Its just part of the immigrant experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 05:39 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,944,786 times
I moved to Astoria in December from Maspeth (in Queens, a lesser known area in case you don't know). I like it a lot better than Maspeth since there's more in the area and it's a lot faster to get into Manhattan and work. It seems to be a mix of young profressionals in their 20s and locals who are pushing 80. I don't tend to see many people between those 2 age ranges lol. It's a bit annoying in a way, since I hardly ever meet any real locals. I'm from LI and most people here seem to be moving to NY from other outside areas (not so much other countries, but other states). The area is a bit dirty though. I seem to smell and see dog droppings everywhere, which is extremely annoying. A few houses down I actually saw the droppings in a plastic bag just lying on the street for a week. Hello???? Hard hard is it to put the bag in a trash can. People seem to be awfully lazy here lol. But I do like it, minus the previous point I just made. It has some really great italian and greek food.

Old 06-01-2008, 05:56 PM

842 posts, read 4,309,771 times
Default Astoria is the best of Queens

I was raised in Astoria on 30th Ave. back in the late 80's-90's. It had many problems but if you compared it to Roosevelt, it was a decent neighborhood. As someone mentioned before, it was and still has many hard working immigrant families. Most took the N,W into Manhattan (As did my mother). My father would take the BQE into Bed Stuy, Brooklyn (Mind you, this is the late 80's-early 90's. My dad has some crazy stories)

Today, Astoria is so damn nice. It is expensive but it has its own subway line into Manhattan. Lots of yuppies and hipsters moving in. I've seen lots of young college students (most probably from somewhere else, USA) and I think it is one of the best places for singles to find a mate. Now a days, Astoria has much to offer and is still one of the best neighborhoods in New York City

Old 06-17-2008, 03:24 PM

3 posts, read 9,124 times
Ok, having lived in Astoria for just under a year now. I think it's only fair that this neighborhood gets equal representation. I have to say, I love it in Astoria. I am a native Chicagoan who moved to NYC and just happened to end up in Astoria after getting some advice from a co-worker. While it may not be the "nicest" neighborhood ever, I can honestly say I have always felt safe. As far as people being rude, I have never had an issue with ANYONE I've encountered, whether it be neighbors, people at the train station or people in restaurants and shops.

The area (at least where I am at, just off of Broadway) is very family friendly which I love even though I'm single. There's a good mix of restaurants to go to and I have everything I need in terms of grocery stores, pharmacies, laundromats, etc within 2 blocks of my place.

Before I picked Astoria, I had looked at a lot of the neighborhoods in Brooklyn that have been mentioned and I soon found they were out of my price range. Astoria is more affordable and while it may be more "working-class", I really like it.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:07 PM

84 posts, read 292,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
I have a 3 year old son and we are hoping to find a 2 bedroom apt for rent at around 1600-1800/month.
I don't live in Astoria...yet. We (husband, myself and 2 year old) will be moving there in June from Minnesota. I have been browsing several broker websites and forums about Astoria on a daily basis. There is a huge variety of 2 beds in your price range.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:47 PM

169 posts, read 489,995 times
I was born and raised in Astoria.....late 70's.....80's and 90's. Now, it is yuppified...from what I can see...I'm in Howard Beach, now....but I have to say,...I had the most unbelievable childhood growing up in Astoria. I'm tearing up right now, thinking back....lol.....but there is just something about Astoria. I wish I could afford it now, but alas, home prices are pretty high...and so many condo developments....I can't believe the traffic. Sometimes, I drive through the old neighborhood and get depressed when I see all the old houses and neighborhood hangouts that were torn down to put up some monstrous condo.

But I still have my memories.....

Old 04-20-2010, 01:17 PM

307 posts, read 637,652 times
Astoria has a lot of distinct ethnic groups that tend to clique together in different parts. This makes for a diverse community, however, if you are not part of those ethnic groups, you may find it hard to feel like you are part of the community. I live there now, its safe, convenient, and clean (enough). but I would never settle down there. I am white, mid 30's. And I am a basically in the minority. I would recommend this neighborhood only if price and convenience are of utmost importance.

Old 04-20-2010, 06:43 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,188,268 times
Racism? That's laughable at best. Well guess what, I'm black and have no desire to live in poor black slums ANYWHERE. If that makes me racist, so be it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Thal,
I can't comment on what it's like to live in Astoria since I've never lived there, only visited on numerous occasions, but I find it interesting that in the post I quoted above you compare Astoria, which is more of a working class neighborhood to 4 of the highest priced neighborhoods in Brooklyn.

Why don't you compare it to neighborhoods in Brooklyn that are actually comparable -- meaning where the prices match and the commute to Manhattan is the same. This would be places such as Crown Heights, Bed-Stuy, Bushwick, and Prospect Park South. I think you would find similar issues in those neighborhoods (or worse) than the ones you are reporting in Astoria.

I think your post also contains some rather thinly veiled racism.

Why don't you just say you don't like living near people with brown skin who were not born in the US? That's probably more accurate. And if you can afford the neighborhoods you mentioned in Brooklyn, then you will probably feel right at home as those places are not known to be "melting pots"

Old 04-20-2010, 07:24 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,986,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Racism? That's laughable at best. Well guess what, I'm black and have no desire to live in poor black slums ANYWHERE. If that makes me racist, so be it.
The post she was referring to had nothing to do with poor black slums... the guy was saying Astoria was dirty and the people there didn't care about the area because it was a melting pot... I don't understand what your post has to do with anything?

Old 04-20-2010, 07:24 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,137,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Ron, Astoria is not a black slum. In fact, it has a very small black population and it most certainly is not a slum.

I am not sure why you are dredging up a post of mine from 2 years ago in order to pick a fight about your being black and not wanting to live in a slum.

Why don't you visit Astoria and talk to some people and then report back. Because your post makes very little sense in this context.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City