Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 06:54 PM

9,249 posts, read 24,105,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Really?

I don't see that they are similarly secluded. MIdwood is much more centrally located.
Midwood has lots of subway access (and buses as well of course) and is close to lots of Brooklyn neighborhoods like Flatbush, Kensington, Ditmas Park,Gravesend, Sheepshead Bay, etc.

I live in Midwood, and I am a 5 minute walk from the F train, a 12 minute walk from the Q and the B train (which is express into Manhattan), and a 15 minute walk from the N train.

Woodlawn isn't within walking distance of any subway line and is the very northern edge of the Bronx/NYC.
Woodlawn is def more isolated but everyone always forgets that it's definitely within walking distance of the 233rd st 2 and 5 . It also has it's own metro north stop .

I walk from the 233 st stop over to Woodlawn all the time. It's like 10 mins.
https://goo.gl/maps/58sMszwb1XN2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2017, 07:04 PM

12,792 posts, read 8,327,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Woodlawn is def more isolated but everyone always forgets that it's definitely within walking distance of the 233rd st 2 and 5 . It also has it's own metro north stop .

No one forgets. That hill from the subway is insane, plus there's another hill to reach Katonah Avenue, then the hills on Katonah. 233rd isn't exactly that safe anyway by the 2 and 5 train, so people from Woodlawn usually stick to the buses to the 4 train, Metro North or the BxM4 express bus.

Old 06-02-2017, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
No one forgets. That hill from the subway is insane, plus there's another hill to reach Katonah Avenue, then the hills on Katonah. 233rd isn't exactly that safe anyway by the 2 and 5 train, so people from Woodlawn usually stick to the buses to the 4 train, Metro North or the BxM4 express bus.
233 st is fine. I have left bars on Katonah at 1 am and walked to the subway at 233 st. Usually lots of people going from the subway to the hospital at Bronx Park East then it's just over the parkway. I don't even notice the hills you are talking about . You need to walk more

Besides, the point is that everyone says " Woodlawn isn't within walking distance of a subway stop" It is. A lot of people who live in Woodlawn don't use the subway for reasons other than hills. They don't use the subway because they won't cross the parkway for reasons I am sure you are well aware.

Old 06-02-2017, 07:29 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,608,139 times
Quote:
233 st is fine. I have left bars on Katonah at 1 am and walked to the subway at 233 st. Usually lots of people going from the subway to the hospital at Bronx Park East then it's just over the parkway. I don't even notice the hills you are talking about . You need to walk more

Besides, the point is that everyone says " Woodlawn isn't within walking distance of a subway stop" It is. A lot of people who live in Woodlawn don't use the subway for reasons other than hills. They don't use the subway because they won't cross the parkway for reasons I am sure you are well aware.
So strange. Why would people say this if it wasn't true?

Old 06-02-2017, 07:36 PM

Quote:
So strange. Why would people say this if it wasn't true?
not sure but you can see that it isn't true . Might have something to do with the fact that a lot of people who live in Woodlawn and a lot of people going to Woodlawn are afraid to set foot on the other side of The Bronx River Parkway.
A lot of people see it as a line not to be crossed.

Old 06-02-2017, 07:55 PM

34,175 posts, read 47,398,319 times
Quote:
not sure but you can see that it isn't true . Might have something to do with the fact that a lot of people who live in Woodlawn and a lot of people going to Woodlawn are afraid to set foot on the other side of The Bronx River Parkway.
Yes, it is a little Mason/Dixon line of sorts.

But I found a steal for anybody in the market:

http://streeteasy.com/building/2630-...rrace-bronx/3z

I dont know how the public schools are, and in the winter you will have to walk to the 1 or the 4 trains, depending on where you need to get to.....but look at what you get, can't do much better for the price. I dont consider the maintenance crazy either.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-03-2017, 08:57 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,608,139 times
Quote:
What's on the other side of the Bronx River Parkway? (not familiar with the Bronx)

Old 06-03-2017, 12:52 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,509,526 times
Quote:
What's on the other side of the Bronx River Parkway? (not familiar with the Bronx)
To my understanding it's Williamsbridge, a predominately black neighborhood

Old 06-03-2017, 03:17 PM

12,792 posts, read 8,327,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
To my understanding it's Williamsbridge, a predominately black neighborhood
That's correct. There are some Hispanics too (Puerto Ricans and Dominicans).

Old 06-03-2017, 04:02 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,638,409 times
Quote:

I have friends that moved right by that subway and they always take a bus to the school in Woodlawn (which is pretty much in the middle of the neighborhood). It's def walkable but not exactly close, a little under a mile.

Plus the 4 and D tend to be faster than the 2 and 5, so it makes sense to take those lines to Manhattan fenerally even with the bus I think.

Last edited by yodel; 06-03-2017 at 04:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City