Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 10:57 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,928,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
But you didn't answer my comment though. Why is there such a difference in upkeep in Glendale in comparison to Middle Village?
Where I live there's barely any difference. I live in the Upper Glendale section near Forest Park.

If by lower Glendale, such as between roughly 60-73 street, that section tends to be more working class, and is more similar to Ridgewood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2017, 11:07 AM

12,792 posts, read 8,327,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Where I live there's barely any difference. I live in the Upper Glendale section near Forest Park.

If by lower Glendale, such as between roughly 60-73 street, that section tends to be more working class, and is more similar to Ridgewood.
Yes there is a difference even in the housing stock, and you're right. The houses also like similar in Upper Glendale to what you would find in Middle Village. Clean as well.

Old 06-02-2017, 12:20 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,333,559 times
Quote:
Yes there is a difference even in the housing stock, and you're right. The houses also like similar in Upper Glendale to what you would find in Middle Village. Clean as well.
Lower Glendale is mostly 100+ year old brick rowhouses. Upper Glendale you have a lot of tudor style homes.

Glendale is weirdly shaped. Long and narrow. You'll have the eastern end bordering Forest Hills, while the far western part pretty much bordering Bushwick. That'll give you an idea why it can have such a wide spectrum in terms of landscape and curb appeal.

Old 06-02-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Lower Glendale is mostly 100+ year old brick rowhouses. Upper Glendale you have a lot of tudor style homes.

Glendale is weirdly shaped. Long and narrow. You'll have the eastern end bordering Forest Hills, while the far western part pretty much bordering Bushwick. That'll give you an idea why it can have such a wide spectrum in terms of landscape and curb appeal.
And those row houses are pretty ugly to say the least. You can walk down after block in Glendale and see house after house with the same bland look. The tudor homes are more charming, and you find more of those in Middle Village. Reminds me of Ridgewood, which I also don't find that appealing.

Old 06-02-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
College Point in Queens. Going down that main strip feels like going through the main strip of a New England town that was really diverse.
I know what you're talking about. Almost feels like your in an old saloon style village.

I don't see why College Point doesn't get ferry service. I guess because its not in Brooklyn.

Old 06-02-2017, 12:39 PM

9,249 posts, read 24,105,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
I currently live in Midwood/Gravesend. Very close to Sheepshead Bay.
I like that the neighborhood is very safe, feels like it has a slow kind of pace in a way, plenty of amenities and shops, and lots of working people.
But it's not "gentrified" and isn't hip or chic. It has an ethnic feel (a good number of immigrants), and just feels like a down to earth neighborhood where people are living their lives. It's not a "destination" neighborhood or one where transplants seem to want to settle.

Recently I went for the first time to Woodlawn, Bronx. Different neighborhood in some ways, but also had a nice working class/middle class feel, with an immigrant flavor (Irish in that case).
(I personally wasn't crazy about the idea of a bar/pub on every single block, but...that's just me...)

Are there other similar neighborhoods to these two, where you're in NYC but you feel like you're not in a yuppie/hipster/chic neighborhood, but still in a safe and working- and/or middle-class neighborhood that has its own character?

Thanks!
Not so sure anything is really "under the radar" any more. I live in one of those "under the radar" neighborhoods and have been watching what has been coming in in the last few years and it's really kind of astonishing. 10 years ago it was like 90% people coming in from other Bronx neighborhoods.Within borough moves. About 5 years ago the balance tipped and more people started moving here from Brooklyn and Manhattan. Now ,in the last few years there are people moving directly into the neighborhood and into my building from outside NYC....way outside NYC. Last 3 people moving into my building ...and they are buying co ops, not renting are from out of state. One is a young white Mormon couple with a child who moved to Pelham Parkway from Salt Lake City ! So I don't know how under the radar it is any more.

Old 06-02-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
And those row houses are pretty ugly to say the least. You can walk down after block in Glendale and see house after house with the same bland look. The tudor homes are more charming, and you find more of those in Middle Village. Reminds me of Ridgewood, which I also don't find that appealing.
I like the brick row houses. I own one. I'd take one over a tudor any day of the week. Its preference. They fetch over a million dollars these days.

Personally I find the housing in Middle Village to be ugly. Much rather prefer the housing stock in Glendale or Ridgewood, whether a brick rowhouse or a tudor.

Middle Village was built later than Glendale and Ridgewood. Lots of ugly '50 and '60 townhouse architecture. Lots of vinyl too. Glendale and Ridgewood is mostly brick.

You don't seem to familiar with the area.

Old 06-02-2017, 01:04 PM

Quote:
I like the brick row houses. I own one. I'd take one over a tudor any day of the week. Its preference. They fetch over a million dollars these days.

Personally I find the housing in Middle Village to be ugly. Much rather prefer the housing stock in Glendale or Ridgewood, whether a brick rowhouse or a tudor.

Middle Village was built later than Glendale and Ridgewood. Lots of ugly '50 and '60 townhouse architecture. Lots of vinyl too. Glendale and Ridgewood is mostly brick.

You don't seem to familiar with the area.
Why? Because I don't care for Glendale or Ridgewood? I like brick a lot, but both areas have hideous boring façades. The houses located along Penelope Avenue around 82nd Place and 83rd Street can go up against any area of Glendale. The façades have a lot of charm to them and they are ALL brick, but nice try. For the record, I have been to Middle Village numerous times (my first time was for the World Cup back in 2006), so yes I am quite familiar with the area. It's a lovely area where everyone looks out for each other. I suspect that Glendale is similar in demographics and safety, just not as charming looking as Middle Village.

Old 06-02-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Why? Because I don't care for Glendale or Ridgewood? I like brick a lot, but both areas have hideous boring façades. The houses located along Penelope Avenue around 82nd Place and 83rd Street can go up against any area of Glendale. The façades have a lot of charm to them and they are ALL brick, but nice try. For the record, I have been to Middle Village numerous times (my first time was for the World Cup back in 2006), so yes I am quite familiar with the area. It's a lovely area where everyone looks out for each other. I suspect that Glendale is similar in demographics and safety, just not as charming looking as Middle Village.
You must have bad style.

No one around here thinks Middle Village has nicer architecture than Ridgewood or Glendale. Nicer neighborhood, probably. Nicer housing stock, definitely not.

On my block everyone looks out for on another. That's not unique to Middle Village.

Old 06-02-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
You must have bad style.
I'm willing to bet that if Ridgewood, Glendale and Middle Village were put up for a vote that Middle Village would win easily. The area has more charm, more green and better housing stock than Glendale ever could, and let me tell you something, Glendale has some really run down parts. Ridgewood too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City