Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 01:21 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,240,708 times

Advertisements

One thing Midwood has in common with Woodlawn is its secluded nature. Street layout and traffic patterns in both places make them sort of islands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2017, 01:23 PM

12,792 posts, read 8,316,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
You must have bad style.

No one around here thinks Middle Village has nicer architecture than Ridgewood or Glendale. Nicer neighborhood, probably. Nicer housing stock, definitely not.

On my block everyone looks out for on another. That's not unique to Middle Village.
Oh really? So it's a nicer neighborhood, but not because of the housing stock? Give me a break. I also said that Glendale and Middle Village have similar demographics, but there is clearly a difference between the two areas in terms of which looks better (curb appeal). You have to be smoking something not to see it. As DoomDan noted, Upper Glendale looks better than the lower part.

Old 06-02-2017, 01:29 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,328,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I'm willing to bet that if Ridgewood, Glendale and Middle Village were put up for a vote that Middle Village would win easily. The area has more charm, more green and better housing stock than Glendale ever could, and let me tell you something, Glendale has some really run down parts. Ridgewood too.
Be more specific about these rundown parts. Where are they?

Middle Village has a more suburban landscape. So I'd expect it to have more green. Although Glendale has Forest Park.

You have to remember that Ridgewood and Glendale used to be served by Brooklyn. Very different area than Middle Village, and appeals to people of different needs.

Old 06-02-2017, 01:43 PM

12,792 posts, read 8,316,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Be more specific about these rundown parts. Where are they?

Middle Village has a more suburban landscape. So I'd expect it to have more green. Although Glendale has Forest Park.

You have to remember that Ridgewood and Glendale used to be served by Brooklyn. Very different area than Middle Village, and appeals to people of different needs.
This is true, and I have generally lived in suburban areas of NYC myself, so forgive me for being a bit bias.

With that said Glendale isn't that big. You can see what I'm talking about walking down the main avenues, like Myrtle. The areas of Glendale closer to Ridgewood are much less appealing than the parts closer to the park and the cemetery. Seems like everything is all squeezed together. The area of Myrtle by Union Turnpike is quite charming... Lots of green. Looks cleaner too.

Old 06-02-2017, 01:58 PM

782 posts, read 860,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Beth View Post

I liked Bayridge, too for similar reasons, plus that stretch of path along the water. I joined a couple of the neighbourhood Facebook pages and saw that unfortunately there's a lot of racial tension and animosity in the neighbourhood right now (white residents towards non-white immigrants). That was really disappointing. So, not too torn up that we didn't settle on that neighbourhood. Plus my husband is kinda convinced that it'll be underwater in a couple of years.
Bay Ridge resident here

Maybe there's hate on the pages or forums or whatever, the internet brings that out in people.

But Bay Ridge is a super diverse neighborhood. Yes, it skews Republican in parts, but if you walk around all you see if people who are proud of their neighborhood. That is, people of all ethnicity. On my block, you have Italian, Irish, Greek, Russian, Syrian, Lebanese, Chinese, Korean etc home owners. Everyone says hi to each other, never anything but positive vibes.

Old 06-02-2017, 02:36 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,039,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Beth View Post

I liked Bayridge, too for similar reasons, plus that stretch of path along the water. I joined a couple of the neighbourhood Facebook pages and saw that unfortunately there's a lot of racial tension and animosity in the neighbourhood right now (white residents towards non-white immigrants). That was really disappointing. So, not too torn up that we didn't settle on that neighbourhood. Plus my husband is kinda convinced that it'll be underwater in a couple of years.
I know those Facebook groups...a lot of the people spewing hatred on there don't even live in Bay Ridge anymore and are still stuck in the 50s/60s/70s.

Old 06-02-2017, 02:50 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,096,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popartist View Post
I know those Facebook groups...a lot of the people spewing hatred on there don't even live in Bay Ridge anymore and are still stuck in the 50s/60s/70s.
Exactly what happens in the Morris Park Facebook page. Lots of hatred of anything not Italian, everyone else scum, etc. Neighborhood will never be the same. blah,blah,blah. Most of them left the neighborhood 20 years and don't even know what they are talking about.

Old 06-02-2017, 06:19 PM

34,134 posts, read 47,363,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Not so sure anything is really "under the radar" any more. I live in one of those "under the radar" neighborhoods and have been watching what has been coming in in the last few years and it's really kind of astonishing. 10 years ago it was like 90% people coming in from other Bronx neighborhoods.Within borough moves. About 5 years ago the balance tipped and more people started moving here from Brooklyn and Manhattan. Now ,in the last few years there are people moving directly into the neighborhood and into my building from outside NYC....way outside NYC. Last 3 people moving into my building ...and they are buying co ops, not renting are from out of state. One is a young white Mormon couple with a child who moved to Pelham Parkway from Salt Lake City ! So I don't know how under the radar it is any more.
Lol.....if this isn't telling, I don't know what is. What can I say, you gotta make an effort to buy something, anything....

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-02-2017, 06:20 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,328,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
This is true, and I have generally lived in suburban areas of NYC myself, so forgive me for being a bit bias.

With that said Glendale isn't that big. You can see what I'm talking about walking down the main avenues, like Myrtle. The areas of Glendale closer to Ridgewood are much less appealing than the parts closer to the park and the cemetery. Seems like everything is all squeezed together. The area of Myrtle by Union Turnpike is quite charming... Lots of green. Looks cleaner too.
Middle Village definitely has the higher middle to working class ratio compared to Glendale, but I still think Glendale has the nicer and more diverse housing stock. The only part of Middle Village that has housing with curb appeal is east of 80th st. The rest of Middle Villige is blah. Nicely kept, but blah.

We circulated a map around here from the '50s sometime last year, and actually they had Upper Glendale and Middle Village as a combined neighborhood called Nassau Heights. It had Lower Glendale with Ridgewood.

A lot of it is preference. High density vs semi-high density.

Old 06-02-2017, 06:38 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,605,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by high iron View Post
One thing Midwood has in common with Woodlawn is its secluded nature. Street layout and traffic patterns in both places make them sort of islands.
Really?

I don't see that they are similarly secluded. MIdwood is much more centrally located.
Midwood has lots of subway access (and buses as well of course) and is close to lots of Brooklyn neighborhoods like Flatbush, Kensington, Ditmas Park,Gravesend, Sheepshead Bay, etc.

I live in Midwood, and I am a 5 minute walk from the F train, a 12 minute walk from the Q and the B train (which is express into Manhattan), and a 15 minute walk from the N train.

Woodlawn isn't within walking distance of any subway line and is the very northern edge of the Bronx/NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City