Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2015, 10:31 AM

3,742 posts, read 6,395,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikfleye3 View Post
Your 100% right here, Exocet for me being an indoor guy lol... I've spent my adult life pretty split, first I was a plumber doing mostly commercial roughing work, then I got the desk job, then I did 2 years in the street here, and some time in the office... I'm not gonna lie and say being out of the elements isn't nice... But it goes back to the stress thing, even when I was plumbing... Throw the radio on, your crew of guys just gets their materials and goes to work..similar to the feeling of just knowin you gotta get your route done... They both have their ups and down, I def don't mind being behind the truck though, for me right now the office is about staying days with no time on

And everything about the foreman spot, your right, but I still can't see not even taking it when your going from 36k to 77k base... Let me see how bad it is first hand and then decide to toss it or not...

Hey maybe they'll get the sections back hahaha

Ummmmmm.....hmmm stress is the wrong word. It's not stressful. I suppose it could be sometimes for some but on the whole I don't think that's the right word. You have a screen that shows where every truck is. They have the same screen but it also shows where you are. Let's say you have a broom, an mlp, and a basket truck. Whichever you go to, they're going to go to the other one and call you out on the radio because so and so skipped a basket, wasn't wearing a vest, left spillage, cars aren't moving...whatever it is. You're gonna get abused over the radio and they're going to take 8 hours of your hard earned money away. You're just like f*** this. I went to pmd twice to toss it but they somehow voodooed me into giving it another chance and some mornings I think I may be an idiot. Right now cleaning chiefs are at the boro looking at mlp gps routes for the last three weeks so they can try to find a condition that a supervisor signed off on that the gps says the truck didn't get to so they can take more money from these guys. Guys just don't want to deal with it...it's like take the abuse but you can never talk back

Old 12-22-2015, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnyclicks View Post
It's hard to explain the feeling. Like it's not if you will get a compliant just when. You are living under the sword of Damocles just waiting for it to drop. You can try as hard as you can and give it your all but it's not enough. But hey I'm new at this and still learning but if this is what the job is it's not for me. I'll keep plugging away as everyone says it gets better. I hope it does. If you get promotion take it and see if it's for you. And keep a blanket and pillow in your car. I slept at garage twice this week.
You can't not get a complaint so don't fret that. Just hope they're small ones lol. All the boros suck equally though Staten Island is probably the worst if you want to avoid trouble. Manhattan is the safest though it has some horrible garages to be a supervisor in. (Staring at you M10) lol. I don't know that it gets better but after probation you at least know you're not getting demoted and you're more resigned to the misery lol

Old 12-22-2015, 01:32 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,224,231 times
No man lets himself get abused like that. The beauty of being a sanman is the ability to tell supervisors to f*ck off. So you guys get it from us and from above. Where has your pride gone man???

Old 12-22-2015, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNY...DirtyStayOut View Post
No man lets himself get abused like that. The beauty of being a sanman is the ability to tell supervisors to f*ck off. So you guys get it from us and from above. Where has your pride gone man???
Every job has to have accountability. The real reason San men can get away with things is because the supervisors take the blame for everything so they don't have to. I got a letter of warning because a guy got caught in Jersey with his doors open.....how on planet earth is this my fault thirty miles away lol

Old 12-22-2015, 02:58 PM

779 posts, read 1,004,932 times
I feel like any supervisor position within NYC or NYS jobs is basically to get bent over.

Think about it, the higher the position the more you make and the less you work...when **** hits the fan your the #1 man!

Most guys that take the positions, truly need the money to support the family, are on a power trip and can't wait to give commands and suck on the big bosses, or just good guys thinking they can handle the task.

I agree with Mike, he needs to try it, whats the worse that can happen? Like you guys said, he'll get in line and return the badge, it's worth a try.

Old 12-23-2015, 02:01 PM

118 posts, read 158,687 times
Merry Christmas ya filthy animals ..thanks for all the help in the hiring process and the on the job stuff .. enjoy your day off and the mess we come back to on Saturday

Old 12-24-2015, 09:36 PM

327 posts, read 469,728 times
merry christmas guys

Old 12-27-2015, 07:40 AM

186 posts, read 308,252 times
Hey everybody done with vacation pics? For anyone who came on in 2011 we got 1 extra day. 19 days. Couldn't they just gave us 20? I really don't want to use hours that 4 day week. Just saying.

Old 12-27-2015, 07:59 AM

80 posts, read 103,916 times
"They" just don't give us anything! Guys with 10 or more years got an extra vac day starting next year with the new contract and are told when and how to use it by them. A real joke.

Old 12-27-2015, 10:39 AM

118 posts, read 158,687 times
July class of this year got 16 days .. what's the schedule for how the days increase ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City