Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2016, 07:52 AM

353 posts, read 471,831 times

Advertisements

got it

Old 02-16-2016, 09:58 AM

327 posts, read 469,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcwithacee View Post
If you really want to get ahead in this department, go to each and every one of the major fraternal organizations meetings and events and be prepared to lose your dignity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNY...DirtyStayOut View Post
100%...I can proudly say I never went to one dinner dance at El Caribe or anywhere else for those morons. Everyone thinks they're John Gotti and I'm not even just talking about the Columbia guys. It's who can be a better dick sucker then the next. Not for me, I'm going out the way I came in, with dignity as a sanman.
I always assumed these meetings were like Knights of Columbus or something. Shoot the breeze, do some charity work, and get some cheap beer. None of the meeting places are in Staten Island though and I'm not motivated enough to travel to the outer boroughs to find out.

Old 02-16-2016, 06:02 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,224,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRockSays View Post
I always assumed these meetings were like Knights of Columbus or something. Shoot the breeze, do some charity work, and get some cheap beer. None of the meeting places are in Staten Island though and I'm not motivated enough to travel to the outer boroughs to find out.
Do not let them reel you in. Your better off hitting your sack with a hammer...repeatedly.

Old 02-17-2016, 05:06 PM

233 posts, read 535,562 times
Quote:
It's 100% seniority unless you know someone. Then it's 100% who you know.

It's not 100% seniority. That's the first lie about the job. It's about 90% seniority, which is plenty, don't get me wrong. But that 10% will get you good.
Seniority makes you think that you can go wherever you want whenever you want. WRONG. Between garage/section setup, tissues, coming off charts... your seniority will eventually put you somewhere that you don't want to be. It might only happen to someone 4x a year, but when it does, just suck it up for the day.
Nobody is immune to it. It will happen to probationary workers as much as it happens to 20+ year workers. Just the other day a guy with 13 years was forced on baskets when a guy with 5 years made truck. Garage/section situation there. For those of you not on the job, this is impossible to explain. You will learn it in time. Just make sure you get on the job first, don't ask a million questions here.

Old 02-18-2016, 03:36 AM

442 posts, read 813,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnikk View Post
It's not 100% seniority. That's the first lie about the job. It's about 90% seniority, which is plenty, don't get me wrong. But that 10% will get you good.
Seniority makes you think that you can go wherever you want whenever you want. WRONG. Between garage/section setup, tissues, coming off charts... your seniority will eventually put you somewhere that you don't want to be. It might only happen to someone 4x a year, but when it does, just suck it up for the day.
Nobody is immune to it. It will happen to probationary workers as much as it happens to 20+ year workers. Just the other day a guy with 13 years was forced on baskets when a guy with 5 years made truck. Garage/section situation there. For those of you not on the job, this is impossible to explain. You will learn it in time. Just make sure you get on the job first, don't ask a million questions here.
??? AWESOME!!!! Now can you explain getting forced out of town???

Last edited by Marcwithacee; 02-18-2016 at 03:52 AM..

Old 02-18-2016, 05:50 AM

3,742 posts, read 6,396,435 times
Quote:
??? AWESOME!!!! Now can you explain getting forced out of town???
That's when the sheriff doesn't like you and he threatens to arrest you unless you scram like a mangy varmint so you're forced out of town

Old 02-18-2016, 07:01 AM

442 posts, read 813,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWOL AGAIN View Post
That's when the sheriff doesn't like you and he threatens to arrest you unless you scram like a mangy varmint so you're forced out of town
But my uncle is the sheriff

Old 02-18-2016, 09:13 AM

Spoke with a DSNY buddy of mine today - says that San Police finally got approval to carry weapons off duty? If true congrats to them!
Is San Police a pretty decent gig for a san man with law enforcement ambitions? or is it better to stay as a san man?

Old 02-18-2016, 10:49 AM

3,742 posts, read 6,396,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willdogs View Post
Spoke with a DSNY buddy of mine today - says that San Police finally got approval to carry weapons off duty? If true congrats to them!
Is San Police a pretty decent gig for a san man with law enforcement ambitions? or is it better to stay as a san man?
....Jesus where to begin with this post lol.

Firstly if you have law enforcement ambitions.....become a police officer lmao

You cannot get your own gun as a san cop, you only get a business permit meaning you can only carry the gun they give you. State law allows you to carry it all day but the job overrules this and says you can carry it only 2 hours before and after work as potential travel time.

Becoming a san cop might be the only way to make even less money than the guys on baskets while adding the potential of getting **** at, so that's fun. Good practice job though if you want to become a supervisor someday for some reason

Old 02-18-2016, 11:05 AM

lol wow loaded question I guess. Thanks for the straight forward answer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City