Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2016, 01:27 AM

1,757 posts, read 2,145,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcgeorgee View Post
i know i am going to be in the first round is what im saying.. my list number is in the top 200. i was just asking lets say for some odd reason i miss the first 2 classes because of medical. and on the 3rd class i get called. would i have seniority due to my list number

Everyone in the first 2 classes would have you beat. Hire date is king and then list number. You'd be the top guy in the 3rd class unless #99 also waited and then jumped back in.

Old 02-13-2016, 06:02 AM

442 posts, read 813,591 times
Quote:
i know i am going to be in the first round is what im saying.. my list number is in the top 200. i was just asking lets say for some odd reason i miss the first 2 classes because of medical. and on the 3rd class i get called. would i have seniority due to my list number
Don't disclose anything at the medical. Let them find anything that would cause you to fail on their own. Bringing a doctor's note saying that you're ok is not going to help you at that point in the process.

Old 02-13-2016, 11:07 AM

118 posts, read 158,645 times
Emergency list Mondays ...yeah baby

Old 02-13-2016, 04:11 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,393,818 times
Quote:
No. Medical doesn't qualify. Hire date comes first. The only time you look at your list number is if you're hired the same day as someone else. Then the better list number has the other beat. Only time you can get hired later and get missed seniority is if you're deployed or you'd have to win a lawsuit on some grounds and force it

Old 02-14-2016, 06:30 PM

172 posts, read 590,084 times
Does having additional Cdl endorsements such as hazmat or towing benefit you after you get the job? For example will you be eligible for a "special job or assignment" within the dsny? I was just curious because I've noticed that dsny has its own tow trucks

Old 02-14-2016, 08:38 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,969,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDrop149 View Post
Does having additional Cdl endorsements such as hazmat or towing benefit you after you get the job? For example will you be eligible for a "special job or assignment" within the dsny? I was just curious because I've noticed that dsny has its own tow trucks
Those spots are called tissue spots, they are given by seniority when they become available, having the endorsement already does nothing for you, they will give the spot to someone without the endorsement and the. Train them to get it... It only helps if you actually win the tissue , you won't have to go through the LIC. Procedures since you'll already have them.

Seniority literally is everything in the Dept... Everything from your shift to your assignment to your vacation picks to the vehicle your assigned to... Everything is seniority and nothing you can do to give yourself an advantage.

Old 02-14-2016, 08:45 PM

199 posts, read 519,086 times
First you need a class A and the towing endorsement. Which they will send you for if you take the garage tissue. If you fill in in the garage and have a class A, every once in a long while they will put in a wrecker class when training is slow. And hazmat is only needed if you end up in CTU (central transport unit). They have fuel tankers for various situations.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:30 AM

80 posts, read 103,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikfleye3 View Post
Those spots are called tissue spots, they are given by seniority when they become available, having the endorsement already does nothing for you, they will give the spot to someone without the endorsement and the. Train them to get it... It only helps if you actually win the tissue , you won't have to go through the LIC. Procedures since you'll already have them.

Seniority literally is everything in the Dept... Everything from your shift to your assignment to your vacation picks to the vehicle your assigned to... Everything is seniority and nothing you can do to give yourself an advantage.
The guys on the job know this is not entirely true.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:52 AM

442 posts, read 813,591 times
It's 100% seniority unless you know someone. Then it's 100% who you know.

Old 02-15-2016, 10:49 AM

80 posts, read 103,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcwithacee View Post
It's 100% seniority unless you know someone. Then it's 100% who you know.
So the quote "nothing you can do to give yourself an advantage" is not entirely true!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City