Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 01:40 PM

5,222 posts, read 5,048,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
You never answered why he didn't call an ambulance or other cops shortly after the shooting?

What type of "man" would shoot someone and then call their union reps BEFORE calling for aid?

I cannot give an answer on his behalf because each one thinks and reacts differently. If I had to guess why, it probably reflects the lack of proper job training that would have instructed him what to do in such uncertain situations that involves his own safety and another's life...he might be contacting for advice, or what ever he did, he was clueless about what he should do in that situation.

Again, it is much easier for you to hide behind a monitor to come up with hind sight great solutions to the accident...but if you were in his shoe, i doubt what any better you could do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 01:45 PM

5,880 posts, read 3,324,758 times
Quote:
You never answered why he didn't call an ambulance or other cops shortly after the shooting?

What type of "man" would shoot someone and then call their union reps BEFORE calling for aid?
Ok Marilyn I don't think anyone can disagree with you on your point. What you and anyone that's not a cop can not understand is the PD screws you up so bad with policy and procedure that for some thinking clearly goes straight out the window. I used to be a union rep. One time I had a guy that had a perfect shooting. He saved a victims life. It was a text book shooting. Now they aren't allowed to talk to the shooter because its a criminal matter but they talk to everyone else involved. So I represented my guys. Its me, my cop and about 20 other people in the room. My cop had to answer questions from 20 different people. By the end you would swear that some how some way the cops did something wrong. Anyway my point is that you start to think differently after a while. Common sense just goes away. My sense is that this cop completely panicked. Also two rookies standing on a staircase not knowing what to do does not surprise me in the least. As I said before rookies should never partner with rookies. I remember being in the CO's office and every time we got a new batch of rookies we split experienced partners up and had them train these kids. The kid saying I am going to get fired does not surprise me at all. Should they have called for a ambulance first? Yes of course.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:48 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,061,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
I cannot give an answer on his behalf because each one thinks and reacts differently. If I had to guess why, it probably reflects the lack of proper job training that would have instructed him what to do in such uncertain situations that involves his own safety and another's life...he might be contacting for advice, or what ever he did, he was clueless about what he should do in that situation.

Again, it is much easier for you to hide behind a monitor to come up with hind sight great solutions to the accident...but if you were in his shoe, i doubt what any better you could do.
I never would have done what he did that's for sure.

He had his finger on the trigger and his flashlight out. If Akai was a threat it would have been obvious.

I'll go with Retiredcop's version of what probably happened as far as training and not being supervised properly by experienced personnel. Still...he should have called someone to help the man bleeding to death in front of him.

Last thing I would be thinking about is my union rep after I just shot someone unwarranted.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:53 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,061,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
Ok Marilyn I don't think anyone can disagree with you on your point. What you and anyone that's not a cop can not understand is the PD screws you up so bad with policy and procedure that for some thinking clearly goes straight out the window. I used to be a union rep. One time I had a guy that had a perfect shooting. He saved a victims life. It was a text book shooting. Now they aren't allowed to talk to the shooter because its a criminal matter but they talk to everyone else involved. So I represented my guys. Its me, my cop and about 20 other people in the room. My cop had to answer questions from 20 different people. By the end you would swear that some how some way the cops did something wrong. Anyway my point is that you start to think differently after a while. Common sense just goes away. My sense is that this cop completely panicked. Also two rookies standing on a staircase not knowing what to do does not surprise me in the least. As I said before rookies should never partner with rookies. I remember being in the CO's office and every time we got a new batch of rookies we split experienced partners up and had them train these kids. The kid saying I am going to get fired does not surprise me at all. Should they have called for a ambulance first? Yes of course.

When did this start happening?

Up until this shooting, I always believed rookies were teamed up with more experienced personnel. There is no way two rookies could be paired up together and know exactly what to do.

Maybe this cop could get off if he used that excuse, but it still doesn't change what he did AFTER the shooting which is quite horrendous to anyone reading or listening to it.

What happened to common sense?

I think you should offer your skills to the department as a "consultant" or trainer or something to that affect. It's sorely needed.

Old 02-13-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:

He had his finger on the trigger and his flashlight out. If Akai was a threat it would have been obvious.

I'll go with Retiredcop's version of what probably happened as far as training and not being supervised properly by experienced personnel. Still...he should have called someone to help the man bleeding to death in front of him.

Last thing I would be thinking about is my union rep after I just shot someone unwarranted.

You keep evading addressing the false statements you made in your arguments and instead picking on some non-essential off topic issues in others' replies to carry on. It is a waste of time which I shouldn't have allowed to happen in the first place

Anyway, thanks for the opportunity to tear the mask off your racial motivations in this and other similar threads. You are now on my ignore list and hope that serves your continuous racial motives well....

Old 02-13-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:

Should he have called for help? YUP. Should he have his finger on the trigger? Nope. Will this happen again? No doubt. Not the first time or the last time this happened in a housing project. Remember the vertical where the kid ran from the door on the roof towards the cop and the cop shot him? That was about a decade ago. I promise you this will happen again. Police are not perfect. Police make mistakes just like you and everyone else in this world does. The fact is that as a police officer you have a gun and can end some ones life. Its a different job than almost any other job out there. So if we were to come back here 20 years from now we all would still be talking about the issues concerning the police department. The NYPD may not be perfect but in general those guys do a hell of a job that they will never get credit for. There are thousands upon thousands of times that no mistake is made at all. You only need one mistake to lump all police department activity into one barrel.

Old 02-13-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
You keep evading addressing the false statements you made in your arguments and instead picking on some non-essential off topic issues in others' replies to carry on. It is a waste of time which I shouldn't have allowed to happen in the first place

Anyway, thanks for the opportunity to tear the mask off your racial motivations in this and other similar threads. You are now on my ignore list and hope that serves your continuous racial motives well....

where is the ignore function on this forum? I thought I saw it previously.

Old 02-13-2015, 02:19 PM

4,214 posts, read 4,138,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
My point was not what warrants the traffic stops, it's the fact that a cop does not have to wait for a suspect to draw and show a weapon before s/he draws their gun. It will be too late once you wait for that to happen. When your life is at stake, you don't wait or guess for what the suspect is reaching for.
I thought this was interesting. A few years ago I was stopped at a light when an unmarked police car pulled over a car and the cop went over with his hand on his gun. It was a very routine stop, I think the guy went through as the light changed.

Old 02-13-2015, 02:35 PM

Car stops are very dangerous. You pull someone over for a routine violation. In the mean time he thinks you pulled him over for having drugs or a weapon in the car. So easy to get shot on a car stop. Bottom line being a police officer is very dangerous. So many innocent interactions can end up badly. I was always told your number 1 priority is signing out at the end of your tour.

Old 02-13-2015, 02:46 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,845,728 times
What a sad quote, someone who can't separate race from behavior. Do you think this would have happened if the cop was walking around the mall in Prince George County?

While I have never had the pleasure of visiting the Pink Houses or other similar structures, I am familiar enough to know there is outsized crime, criminal activity, violence, drugs, etc. So that is the behavior that had the cop in fear. Not an entire race.

Quote:
I don't think it was about race with the white officer turning state evidence against Liang for being chinese.

And YES, I do believe it was about RACE for Liang. He was deathly afraid of his surroundings. I doubt very seriously he would have did this in Gravesend or Bayside. He should have told his command he was a punk, so that they could have sent someone else in his place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City