Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 04:06 PM

5,113 posts, read 4,963,078 times

Advertisements

I dread becoming a cop in NYpd; if I had no other options but to serve in nypd, I would negotiate for a contract that frees me from patrolling the ghettos, or preferably, job assignments only on the UES.

I solute our cops who risk their personal safety and wellness working to keep uncivilized humans under control for the benefit of General public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 04:13 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,942,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
I dread becoming a cop in NYpd; if I had no other options but to serve in nypd, I would negotiate for a contract that frees me from patrolling the ghettos, or preferably, job assignments only on the UES.

I solute our cops who risk their personal safety and wellness working to keep uncivilized humans under control for the benefit of General public.
It's part of paying dues...the rookie cops get the patrol assignments in the worst nabes.

Old 02-11-2015, 04:17 PM

725 posts, read 805,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
That's the difference between being a cop and most other jobs. You make a mistake and you can kill someone.

That's why there needs to be heavy restrictions placed on cops because they are in a position of power and can easily abuse that power whether intentionally or unintentionally.

Cops should be ones who aim to be peace keepers and Deescalate situations as opposed to instigating and escalating them. Cops should be intelligent. Too often today cops are below average intelligence and tend to be violent. The number one victims of domestic violence are the spouses of cops. To be a cop a person should not say and plead how much he wants to go after bad guys but plead how much he wants to keep the peace, and hope that his own job becomes unnecessary as much as possible. Today cops make work for themselves by falsely arresting and ticketing people and enforcing abusive laws so they can justify their existence. When NYC cops had the virtual work stoppage and only arrested supposed murderers, more than a candy bar thieves, or batterers, everything thing in NYC seemed fine.

Old 02-11-2015, 04:26 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,942,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john620 View Post
That's why there needs to be heavy restrictions placed on cops because they are in a position of power and can easily abuse that power whether intentionally or unintentionally.

Cops should be ones who aim to be peace keepers and Deescalate situations as opposed to instigating and escalating them. Cops should be intelligent. Too often today cops are below average intelligence and tend to be violent. The number one victims of domestic violence are the spouses of cops. To be a cop a person should not say and plead how much he wants to go after bad guys but plead how much he wants to keep the peace, and hope that his own job becomes unnecessary as much as possible. Today cops make work for themselves by falsely arresting and ticketing people and enforcing abusive laws so they can justify their existence. When NYC cops had the virtual work stoppage and only arrested supposed murderers, more than a candy bar thieves, or batterers, everything thing in NYC seemed fine.
There was talk about requiring cops to wear video cameras while they're on duty. Not sure where those discussions are now....probably going to be a long shot proposal with their union against it.

Old 02-11-2015, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
There was talk about requiring cops to wear video cameras while they're on duty. Not sure where those discussions are now....probably going to be a long shot proposal with their union against it.
Yeah. Wearable cameras are a very important part in police accountability. With the technology today there is no reason why we shouldn't be certain about what happened. Same thing with police interrogations. There is no reason that they shouldn't be recorded. The word of a cop should never be trusted. A lot of cases where a cop said a person made a confession and the person said he didn't. These are no brainer things which is why modern policing is done without brains. It's not about being smart or right or accurate.

In addition all investigations on cops should be done by an independent organization that has nothing to do with the police and all prosecutions should be done by independent prosecutors who never work with police. There should be independent monitors in all police stations, jails and prisons who are appointed by human rights organizations and who have the power to put people into protective custody and arrest cops and jailers who violate people's rights.

Old 02-11-2015, 04:57 PM

5,859 posts, read 3,295,630 times
Quote:
Yeah. Wearable cameras are a very important part in police accountability. With the technology today there is no reason why we shouldn't be certain about what happened. Same thing with police interrogations. There is no reason that they shouldn't be recorded. The word of a cop should never be trusted. A lot of cases where a cop said a person made a confession and the person said he didn't. These are no brainer things which is why modern policing is done without brains. It's not about being smart or right or accurate.

In addition all investigations on cops should be done by an independent organization that has nothing to do with the police and all prosecutions should be done by independent prosecutors who never work with police. There should be independent monitors in all police stations, jails and prisons who are appointed by human rights organizations and who have the power to put people into protective custody and arrest cops and jailers who violate people's rights.
And all cops should be tarred, feathered and hanged. LOL oh and you stated that spouses of cops are the number 1 victim of domestic violence. I call BS!!!! You say you want intelligent cops? Then open up your checkbook because you will be paying for that. You want t o end enforcement of abusive laws? Then talk to your politicians that enact those laws that the police enforce!!! I really wish you could sit with a cop for 16 hours while they process an arrest. A little more difficult then you think! Also lets record it all and I hope you would be half a man and come here and admit that 99% of the time the cop did his job!!!!!!!

Old 02-11-2015, 05:19 PM

34,035 posts, read 47,252,748 times
FWIW, he's not being indicted on murder charges. More like 21st degree manslaughter or some crap. It should be an open and shut case anyway. He was scared to be there in the first place and reacted out of fear. If the staircase was so dark, why wouldn't the officer have his flashlight out instead of his gun?

I ran into officers one time doing verticals in a project stairwell (that was adequately lit) and they didn't have their guns drawn. As a officer, is that protocol to draw your weapon in dimly lit NYCHA staircases?

Doctors are arrested for killing people too. Look at your boy Conrad Murray.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-11-2015, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
And all cops should be tarred, feathered and hanged. LOL oh and you stated that spouses of cops are the number 1 victim of domestic violence. I call BS!!!! You say you want intelligent cops? Then open up your checkbook because you will be paying for that. You want t o end enforcement of abusive laws? Then talk to your politicians that enact those laws that the police enforce!!! I really wish you could sit with a cop for 16 hours while they process an arrest. A little more difficult then you think! Also lets record it all and I hope you would be half a man and come here and admit that 99% of the time the cop did his job!!!!!!!

As I said, just doing your job is not a valid excuse if your job is to violate people's rights and enforce abusive laws. I won't mention any of the clichés about certain groups throughout history just doing their jobs. It's not the politicians that point guns at people's heads to make laws happen, it's the cops so they are more responsible.

This is not about not wanting security. I just came back from playing powerball and I was a bit concerned when a few people approached me and one random guy asked me how I was. I wish there was more security on the streets. Instead of cops breaking down doors in the middle of the night, pulling people over and giving them false tickets for things they didn't do, harrassing people about what pills or plants they have in their pocket or ticketing people for not wearing a seatbelt which hurts no one or violates anyones rights, I want them patrolling the streets and looking out for, trying to deter and responding to rape, murder, assault, battery, theft and vandalism. Cops should be out there protecting people's freedoms not infringing them.

Cops in this city are actually paid very well and after putting 20 years in get a wonderful pension plus eventually their social security if it is still around. Some cops in li and upstate in Rockland make like 80k after a few years and in no time make over 100k with overtime. Most government positions actually overpay compared to the private sector so it is not a matter of money.

I understand that dealing with thugs is rough. A lot of people blindly support the police because they see the thugs walking around and want to be protected. But they don't realize that the police will treat them them same way as they treat thugs because of precedent and even thugs have rights. I don't like people who have their pants on the ground and hang around listening to rap but that doesn't mean that they should be targeted if they haven't violated anyones rights. We all can both be anti thug and anti police abuse. Those things don't have to be mutually exclusive.

Old 02-11-2015, 07:46 PM

5,113 posts, read 4,963,078 times
Quote:

Well, based on what I heard and read and witnessed, criminals give no crap about law or order when they act out. Not to say that they are no ill motivated cops out there, but we have to trust that the majority are out there serving as a first line of defense of the General public against criminal and ruthless insults from thugs. Do not take your safety for granted.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:02 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,399,862 times
I heard but we will see if this is just another charade or not. If the guy is black or ethnic, he will most likely be convicted. If not, well you already know those odds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City