Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 03:40 PM

725 posts, read 805,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Even if the weapon is illegal like 95% of the ones out there?

It doesn't matter what the weapon is. If a person is not holding a weapon another has no right to draw. Merely seeing a weapon on someone's waistband is not a valid reason to draw.

In this case this cop should have never drawn his weapon from his holster. He should have never pointed it and he should have never had his finger on the trigger. It's reckless and its a serious felony to do so because someone got killed. Cops should be leveled headed. And if he did remove his weapon from his holster why not point it to the ground and hold it as opposed to pointing it in the air.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 04:22 PM

5,859 posts, read 3,295,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john620 View Post
It doesn't matter what the weapon is. If a person is not holding a weapon another has no right to draw. Merely seeing a weapon on someone's waistband is not a valid reason to draw.

In this case this cop should have never drawn his weapon from his holster. He should have never pointed it and he should have never had his finger on the trigger. It's reckless and its a serious felony to do so because someone got killed. Cops should be leveled headed. And if he did remove his weapon from his holster why not point it to the ground and hold it as opposed to pointing it in the air.
Again you were never a cop. I love how you know how we are trained. Bottom line if you perceive a threat its reasonable to draw your weapon. He was perfectly justified in drawing his weapon. Ha totally screwed up having his finger on the trigger. Major major major mistake on his part and now someone is dead.

Old 02-12-2015, 04:25 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,942,084 times
Quote:

That's not true. As a cop you are to protect yourselves at all times. Take for example a routine traffic stop. If the cop orders the driver to have his hands up, but the driver ignores it and reaches for something in the glove compartment, the cop will draw out his gun. S/he cannot wait to see what s/he is reaching for, it may be too late for the cop at that point.

Old 02-12-2015, 04:49 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,090,194 times
This cop was patrolling the stairwell with his gun drawn and his finger on the trigger? Then something spooks him, he twitches, and fires off a round and ends up shooting somebody. Don't they train these guys? Maybe NYPD should equip their Glocks with a 20 lb. trigger.

Old 02-12-2015, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
That's not true. As a cop you are to protect yourselves at all times. Take for example a routine traffic stop. If the cop orders the driver to have his hands up, but the driver ignores it and reaches for something in the glove compartment, the cop will draw out his gun. S/he cannot wait to see what s/he is reaching for, it may be too late for the cop at that point.

That's why we disagree and would vote differently on a jury and act differently as a sheriff, judge or prosecutor. And that's why traffic stops should be illegal and according to my view already illegal. People shouldn't have to be afraid for their lives because of what a cop may or may not infer is happening in a situation. Aside from a person who is driving very recklessly, pulling someone over is wrong. People have a right to be safe in their cars from being pulled to the side of the road and not knowing how a man with a gun and badge will react. Many women have been raped by cops who pull them over. Fellow motorists also have a right to not be distracted by a car being pulled over. More people are killed in crashes because of cops pulling people over than die from speeding. And a lot of people are pulled over for not wearing a seat belt which does not violate anyones rights or harm anyone.

We have a different idea of what policing should be and is acceptable. Ultimately it's in the power of every individual cop to decide how to act and work.

Old 02-12-2015, 07:52 PM

5,859 posts, read 3,295,630 times
Quote:
That's why we disagree and would vote differently on a jury and act differently as a sheriff, judge or prosecutor. And that's why traffic stops should be illegal and according to my view already illegal. People shouldn't have to be afraid for their lives because of what a cop may or may not infer is happening in a situation. Aside from a person who is driving very recklessly, pulling someone over is wrong. People have a right to be safe in their cars from being pulled to the side of the road and not knowing how a man with a gun and badge will react. Many women have been raped by cops who pull them over. Fellow motorists also have a right to not be distracted by a car being pulled over. More people are killed in crashes because of cops pulling people over than die from speeding. And a lot of people are pulled over for not wearing a seat belt which does not violate anyones rights or harm anyone.

We have a different idea of what policing should be and is acceptable.
Car stops should be illegal? So I guess you can drive however the hell you like. More people die because of police car stops than of speeding? You have some serious issues. Stop making up your bs and then just spewing on here!!!!! I actually agree with you on the seatbelt issue. That's a law that the insurance companies want!

Old 02-12-2015, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
Car stops should be illegal? So I guess you can drive however the hell you like. More people die because of police car stops than of speeding? You have some serious issues. Stop making up your bs and then just spewing on here!!!!! I actually agree with you on the seatbelt issue. That's a law that the insurance companies want!
Aside for reckless driving stops, yes car stops should be illegal. It's not safe for any party (the motorist, cop or fellow motorists) for a cop to pull someone over to the side of the road. It is very distracting to motorists and that is where a lot of police abuse takes place. Reckless driving includes speeding excessively. But a person going over some arbitrary number by a couple of miles is not dangerous. It is actually dangerous not to follow the speed of traffic. You have to admit that cops are terrible drivers often. So many have many accidents on record that they cause.

I support cops patrolling the streets on foot or in cars and looking out for, trying to deter and respond to rape, murder, battery, assault, theft, harrassment and vandalism. I feel it is best for official police contact with the public to be at a minimum and only when it is necessary to deter the above. The best way to end police abuse is to limit unnecessary interaction. Then cops can focus on actually stopping the above which is what I care about when walking on the streets or being in my home. The public then can also use the police more effectively as opposed to being afraid of them. And avoiding unnecessary official interaction makes cops safer as well.

This current situation involves a lot of bad circumstances. Whoever thought putting up an apartment building so many stories tall full of poor people who tend to be violent is a good idea is misguided and naive. I don't have the solution to poor housing but it certainly is not project housing or money taken from people by force to pay for it. Good lighting and security cameras should also be present. Maybe it is not a good idea for city cops to be patrolling inside buildings. That's not what police are for that is what security is for. And of course it's ok to have a hand on the gun inside the holster but don't draw it if you don't see a weapon being used against you or another, and if removed from the holster don't point it at someone and especially don't have the finger on the trigger. Rookies should not be sent to dangerous areas.

Last edited by john620; 02-12-2015 at 08:21 PM..

Old 02-12-2015, 08:48 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,454,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Hardly the same. As harmless as Garner was, and may he rest in peace, once he resisted arrest the legal position changed.

Its not surprising this cop has been indicted when you consider the circumstances and not the rhetoric.
I was thinking the reverse: the Gurley incident was accidental while the cop that killed Garner chose to use the amount of force he did.

But it's rather gross negligence to have your finger on the trigger when you're not intending to shoot yet. And to call his union representative after the shooting if that's true.

But perhaps the reason there was an indictment was the prosecutor wanted one this time, unlikely for the Garner incident.

Unlike the officers in the two earlier police killings, who justified using force to grand jurors, Officer Liang did not testify before the grand jury. His lawyer had advised Officer Liang not to testify because, Mr. Worth said, “it was clear there was an attempt to get an indictment all along.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/12/ny...raignment.html

Old 02-12-2015, 09:48 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,942,084 times
Quote:
Aside for reckless driving stops, yes car stops should be illegal. It's not safe for any party (the motorist, cop or fellow motorists) for a cop to pull someone over to the side of the road. It is very distracting to motorists and that is where a lot of police abuse takes place. Reckless driving includes speeding excessively. But a person going over some arbitrary number by a couple of miles is not dangerous. It is actually dangerous not to follow the speed of traffic. You have to admit that cops are terrible drivers often. So many have many accidents on record that they cause.

I support cops patrolling the streets on foot or in cars and looking out for, trying to deter and respond to rape, murder, battery, assault, theft, harrassment and vandalism. I feel it is best for official police contact with the public to be at a minimum and only when it is necessary to deter the above. The best way to end police abuse is to limit unnecessary interaction. Then cops can focus on actually stopping the above which is what I care about when walking on the streets or being in my home. The public then can also use the police more effectively as opposed to being afraid of them. And avoiding unnecessary official interaction makes cops safer as well.

This current situation involves a lot of bad circumstances. Whoever thought putting up an apartment building so many stories tall full of poor people who tend to be violent is a good idea is misguided and naive. I don't have the solution to poor housing but it certainly is not project housing or money taken from people by force to pay for it. Good lighting and security cameras should also be present. Maybe it is not a good idea for city cops to be patrolling inside buildings. That's not what police are for that is what security is for. And of course it's ok to have a hand on the gun inside the holster but don't draw it if you don't see a weapon being used against you or another, and if removed from the holster don't point it at someone and especially don't have the finger on the trigger. Rookies should not be sent to dangerous areas.
My point was not what warrants the traffic stops, it's the fact that a cop does not have to wait for a suspect to draw and show a weapon before s/he draws their gun. It will be too late once you wait for that to happen. When your life is at stake, you don't wait or guess for what the suspect is reaching for.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:21 PM

1,805 posts, read 2,366,499 times
Officer Who Fatally Shot Akai Gurley Released Without Bail

Quote:
Akai Gurley in the stairwell of his East New York apartment complex last November pled not guilty to second degree manslaughter and was released without bail. "Akai did not die in vain," Gurley's aunt, Hertenceia Peterson, told reporters after Officer Peter Liang's arraignment earlier this afternoon. "My nephew's life was sacrificial. Now changes will occur."

Peterson also dismissed the idea that Liang was justified in conducting the patrol of the Pink Houses with his gun drawn. "If you are afraid, you should not put yourself in that position," she said.

In a statement, Kings County District Attorney Ken Thompson praised the NYPD for bravely put their lives on the line every day in service to New York," and added that when officers responded to the shooting that killed Gurley, "they immediately dropped to their knees and attempted to render aid to save Mr. Gurley’s life."

At a press conference, Thompson denied that his office sought an indictment of Liang from a grand jury because the Staten Island grand jury declined to do the same in Eric Garner's case.

"There was no agenda," Thompson said.

Thompson's office will have to prove that Officer Liang understood the danger he posed by using his service weapon to open a door inside the stairwell, and consciously disregarded that danger in a "substantial and unjustifiable" way.

Liang is also charged with one count of criminally negligent homicide, one count of second degree assault, one count of reckless endangerment, and two counts of official misconduct.

Two of the officers involved in the fatal shooting of Sean Bell were released on bail; as was acquitted "Rape Cop" Kenneth Moreno; "Cannibal Cop" Gilberto Valle was repeatedly denied bail.
Officer Who Fatally Shot Akai Gurley Released Without Bail: Gothamist

I'd love one of our legal eagles to justify this for me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City