Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 07:24 PM

7 posts, read 12,524 times

Advertisements

I don't like the whole IRT (numbered lines) because the cars are narrower, shorter, have one less set of doors and hence more crowded than the IND trains. Also you have to walk down and then up the stairs to exit many IRT stations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 09:11 PM

424 posts, read 977,085 times
The lines running on the west side of Manhattan tend to be some of the worst in my opinion: the A, 1, B and D are not fun to ride long distances on- especially during the rush hours.

The A train is the longest line in the system and also the worst in my book in terms of crowding since everyone wants to take it to Upper Manhattan since it goes express from 59th to 125th St. It's also the line where there's the greatest chance of getting stuck with the "Showtime" kids. I avoided it altogether going home from work. It seems the A also has frequent delays, I frequently took the local C train to avoid the overcrowding on the A and other antics. The C train gets a bad reputation but it took me just 5-10 mins more than the A to get up to 125th Street from 59th St. Plus, I'd have a seat after only a few stops; there's barely any seats on the A till 168th Street going uptown or until 42nd Street during the morning rush.

The 1 train follows closely behind the A in terms of crowding and has several stops where a majority of the riders getting on and off are tourists. The 4, 5 and 6 are also very over crowded during rush hour but the behavior is a bit better during rush hour in general

I've found lines to and from Queens tend to be the better and aren't as crowded: M, F, 7 N and Q trains particularly. The R and G train are alright, not very over crowded at all since they have lower ridership.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:19 PM

19,105 posts, read 12,797,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_show View Post
I've taken all of the subway lines and have found the 6 and 7 trains to be the worst.
huh? The 7 train is probably the very best line in the entire system

Old 10-28-2013, 09:24 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,115,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehanson View Post
The lines running on the west side of Manhattan tend to be some of the worst in my opinion: the A, 1, B and D are not fun to ride long distances on- especially during the rush hours.

The A train is the longest line in the system and also the worst in my book in terms of crowding since everyone wants to take it to Upper Manhattan since it goes express from 59th to 125th St. It's also the line where there's the greatest chance of getting stuck with the "Showtime" kids. I avoided it altogether going home from work. It seems the A also has frequent delays, I frequently took the local C train to avoid the overcrowding on the A and other antics. The C train gets a bad reputation but it took me just 5-10 mins more than the A to get up to 125th Street from 59th St. Plus, I'd have a seat after only a few stops; there's barely any seats on the A till 168th Street going uptown or until 42nd Street during the morning rush.

The 1 train follows closely behind the A in terms of crowding and has several stops where a majority of the riders getting on and off are tourists. The 4, 5 and 6 are also very over crowded during rush hour but the behavior is a bit better during rush hour in general

I've found lines to and from Queens tend to be the better and aren't as crowded: M, F, 7 N and Q trains particularly. The R and G train are alright, not very over crowded at all since they have lower ridership.
Dude what are you smoking? N train to Astoria is crowded, thank fully Transplants are nice dont give off attitudes like the local native New Yorkers. 7 train is also very crowded and full of immigrants who don't know any English which can make travel cumbersome for native English speakers. Try saying excuse me on the 7 train can be a hurdle. Saying excuse me does not help. 7 train riders are often bilingual. Often times on the 7 train I have to shove and push to get off ghe train because of the lack of English language riders poses. Next time on my way to citi fields I will probably stop by the Zoni center to learn Hindi and Mandarin, or maybe brush up on my Spanish.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 10-28-2013 at 10:25 PM..

Old 10-28-2013, 09:27 PM

19,105 posts, read 12,797,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Next time on my way to citi fields I wikl probably stop by the Zoni center to learn Hindi and Mandarin, or maybe brush up on my Spanish.
You will never hear the same language twice, it's absolutely awesome

Really good people too, Queens is an amazing place

Old 10-28-2013, 09:52 PM

195 posts, read 349,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
You will never hear the same language twice, it's absolutely awesome

Really good people too, Queens is an amazing place
only in nyc it seems.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:27 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,115,643 times
Trains and platforms that run through the East village and West Brooklyn are often times full of vomit! Talk about how great gentrification is and how the city is much more cleaner. Gee whiz.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:25 PM

929 posts, read 1,664,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehanson View Post
The R and G train are alright, not very over crowded at all since they have lower ridership.
Yep. One of the better things about living in Bay Ridge/Dyker Heights. That section of the Fourth Avenue Line is among the safest, least-crowded and drama-free stretches of the subway, and it's underground. I hate above-ground trains.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:02 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,276,492 times
2 train in the Bronx.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:29 AM

43,877 posts, read 44,661,974 times
I find the 7 to be always crowded at all hours of the day and one feels like one is in a foreign country as one hears very little English if at all while on a 7 trian.

Sent from my GT-S7562 using Tapatalk 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City