Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do West Indians assimilate into AA culture?
Yes, they become more like AAs 14 35.00%
No, they remain very distinct 26 65.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 08:56 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,872,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
The younger people are different.
It made me sad because I remembered that I know the older people are not.
I'll keep both of these statements in mind in case I meet any of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 02:04 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,732,914 times
What proportion of black New Yorkers are of Caribbean origin? 40% maybe?

Old 10-25-2013, 05:25 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,570,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
What proportion of black New Yorkers are of Caribbean origin? 40% maybe?

No one knows, precisely for the reasons expressed here.

1. Many second and most third generation people (i.e those born in the USA with Caribbean born parents, and the grand kids of the immigrants) do not have an identity based solely on being Caribbean. Many are just "black" period. Though others are strongly "Caribbean". There may even be a gender divide with the males not really caring, while the females being more likely to identify with their Caribbean roots.

2. Some 2nd, and many 3rd generation kids have an African American parent, so its hard to identify with one and reject the other.

3. The US Census doesnt break out "blacks" by ethnic background as it does Hispanics and Asians (I wonder why) so one can only determine numbers by those who check both "black" and in the "other box" fill in something that alludes to being of Caribbean origin. Few people bother with that.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:32 PM

2,238 posts, read 3,332,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Yes.

I don't know about today, but I grew up with kids who were first generation WIs and you didn't know it, unless they told you or you heard their parents accent.

Colin Powell (Jamaican) and Louis Farrakhan (Bahamian) are two first generation WIs that you would never guess, unless they told you. There are also a few rappers too, but I currently forget their names at the moment.
What are you talking about? Louis Farrakhan is half Jamaican from his father and half St. Lucian from his mother. He has significantly mixed ancestry.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:09 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,872,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
What are you talking about? Louis Farrakhan is half Jamaican from his father and half St. Lucian from his mother. He has significantly mixed ancestry.
Farrakhan states that his mother is from St Kitts.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:56 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,050,722 times
Quote:
Okay. I heard through word of mouth that he was Bahamian. I never actually investigated. Either way he's of caribbean ancestry. His mother is from St. Kitts though not St. Lucia.

Quote:
Farrakhan was born Louis Eugene Wolcott (also mistakenly spelled Walcott)[7] in The Bronx, New York, the younger of two sons of Sarah Mae Manning (January 16, 1900 – November 18, 1988) and Percival Clark, immigrants from the Caribbean islands. His mother was born in Saint Kitts and Nevis. His father was a Jamaican native and worked as a taxicab driver.
The point is not that many people know this about him. I didn't.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:08 PM

2,757 posts, read 2,440,709 times
Quote:
why is this relevant

Old 10-30-2013, 08:07 AM

302 posts, read 369,617 times
Smile Never argue with.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Shadowy, mythological people who refuse to name because they don't exist. Please tell me what companies they control, what prominent political positions they hold, what boards of directors they sit on, etc.

Simply being a property owner, even in Martha's Vineyard does not make one an elite. Simply owning a business does not make one an elite.

Today, when people say elite that mean BILLIONAIRES, particularly those who control key industries. And while there definitely are Blacks like that, you essentially have most Black billionaires in Africa. These people have power in the since that negotiate major deals with companies and governments around the world. Your AA elites have no such power.

And by the way, these AA elites you speak of (figments of your imagination) are not even acknowledge by Blacks as elites, and forget acknowledgement from people of other races.

No one cares about a group of self proclaimed elites who went to some busted up college in the South, and who have no political or corporate influence in the US. I named Blacks in high ranking positions in the US today, and none of them had any influence to this washed up so called elite.

As for me researching these people? I've not the slightest interest in researching figments of someone's imagination.

As you can see , there were historical problems with AA having money vv

As Survivors Dwindle, Tulsa Confronts Past - The New York Times
www.nytimes.com/2011/06/20/us/20tulsa.html
Jun 19, 2011 - As Survivors Dwindle, Tulsa Confronts Past. Brandi Simons ... Within the black community, it was known as the Negro Wall Street. Long before ...

Early African American Landowners - Opinion - Kingstowne, VA Patch
kingstowne.patch.com/groups/.../p/early-african-american-landowners‎
Aug 1, 2011 - Early African American Landowners. Freemen were the first African Americans to own land in Fairfax County; 66 individuals in our area in 1860 ...

This is only one of the reasons you don't know or see any AA with wealth vv

Black Wall Street, Little Africa, Tulsa, Oklahoma 1921 (full version ...
► 118:56► 118:56

Black Wall Street, Little Africa, Tulsa, Oklahoma 1921 (full version) - YouTube
May 23, 2012 - Uploaded by prince amir
Black Wall street aka Little Africa Tulsa Oklahoma May 31- June 1, 1921 oil capital of the world race riot untold ...

I do have personal ties with people of the AA elite and therefore are reluctant to give details on a public posts . It would be very bad form , sort of like publishing a celebrated persons mobile number or address .

Finally , I tire of educating anyone who so quickly dismisses unknown ( to them ) knowledge of facts .
Have a great day and farewell

Old 10-30-2013, 10:21 AM

25,556 posts, read 24,064,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintmj nyc View Post
As you can see , there were historical problems with AA having money vv

I do have personal ties with people of the AA elite and therefore are reluctant to give details on a public posts . It would be very bad form , sort of like publishing a celebrated persons mobile number or address .

Finally , I tire of educating anyone who so quickly dismisses unknown ( to them ) knowledge of facts .
Have a great day and farewell
In other words, you make public claims you can't back up. So its pure bull****, plain and simple.

You can't name any significant members of this alleged (nonexistent) elite that hold public office, that are CEOs, or that otherwise have notable career success.

Old 10-30-2013, 03:50 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,570,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
Farrakhan states that his mother is from St Kitts.

Indeed he frequently visits there to see his relatives. Sings calypso on the radio there too, I am told.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City