Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do West Indians assimilate into AA culture?
Yes, they become more like AAs 14 35.00%
No, they remain very distinct 26 65.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 10:53 AM

49 posts, read 73,834 times

Advertisements

Also, although I do identify as black, my background is mixed, since my mom is German.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
You went to Brown and you've never heard of Jovan's?
I'm wondering if you graduated in 2000 or around that time? If so, you would most certainly know my brother.

Old 10-11-2013, 04:54 PM

25,556 posts, read 24,052,912 times
Quote:
You didn't get my point in the first place. I was responding to someone who said that the majority of AAs and Caribbean blacks from the Tri-State area who attend Ivies were from the suburbs. I said that that wasn't true based on my experience.

And I'm not positive, but I think one of them came from a middle to upper middle class background. It was simply a case of "When Keeping It Real Goes Wrong."
I did not say the majority of Caribbean Blacks at the Ivies were from the suburbs. I said in my experience the majority of African Americans in the Ivies from metro NY were from the suburbs. Admissions from the Ivies is very wealthy community based. Long Island, NJ, the wealthy parts of Manhattan, California, Texas, CT, and other wealthy areas around the nation tend to be well represented (add in Chicago and FL). And of course the wealthy international students.

Old 10-11-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aboriginal987 View Post
See, I wasn't even going to go down that road, but you are correct. The black elite have a racist/colorist mind set. Typically, you can't join their ranks if you are a "darkie," although some exceptions are made for men (but rarely for women).

Graham admitted in the book that his brother and cousins were much lighter. He also admitted that his family was not part of the most elite group, however, many of his friends were.

True, but this topic makes many people uncomfortable, because many buy into the notion that all blacks are the same way or that blacks don't have their own "exclusive" groups (where your money, can not or does not buy you access).
This is a fictional elite based off back in the day when you had the brown paper bag test at Howard University.

Name one prominent Black person who has anything to do with this Black elite. President Obama? No, he's the son of a Kenyan Muslim. Michelle Obama? No, she's dark skinned (and an Ivy League graduate twice).

Any Black CEOs in the past 20 years? Richard Parsons, Kenneth Chenault, Ursula Burns, E. Stanley Brown, etc? No, all of them were either brown or dark skinned. The one Black Supreme Court justice? Oops, he's dark skinned.

In the film industry even, of the few Blacks that have won Oscars, you've got some dark skinned ones. Whoopi Goldberg, Jamie Foxx, Denzel, etc.

So no, being light skinned is not a career advantage, and does not get you ahead.

Old 10-11-2013, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Reginald Lewis would not qualify as "elite" according to Ab's definition because he grew up poor in East Baltimore. These other people do not control vast finances and valuables. If you want to meet blacks who "control vast finances and other valuables," then you'd probably have to go Nigeria. Almost no one meets that standard here.
Good point. The oil billionaires in Nigeria. Lately they've posted the list of billionaires in Africa. Nigeria has the world's richest Black woman who is worth 7 billion.

Pan-African magazine says Africa has 55 billionaires, world’s richest black Nigerian woman - The Washington Post

These people control financial services, manufacturing, and natural resources. And yes, they do send their kids to Ivy League Universities.

Old 10-11-2013, 05:13 PM

Quote:
What I find funny about these people is that nearly all of them aren't that far removed from some podunk town in the South. Yet they want to act like they're better than others because their father (who came from that podunk town) made himself a little bit of change and sent them to private school. That fact does not make you the black equivalent of Kate Middleton.
Hey, no dissing the South. Honestly this Black elite is basically a fictional thing.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:11 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,428,193 times
lol why?

Old 10-11-2013, 10:02 PM

2,757 posts, read 2,439,418 times
another interesting point is the assimilation of black Panamanian-Americans into Afro-Caribbean culture and Indo-Guyanese into Indian-American

Old 10-12-2013, 07:55 PM

110 posts, read 549,513 times
Quote:
I came across this quote in the book, "Islands in the City: West Indian Migration to New York."

Would you agree that the children of Black West Indian immigrants "assimilate into the African American community?" How distinguishable are the children of West Indian immigrants from African Americans in NYC?
Just look at radio and music.

98.7 Kiss-FM was the # 1 rated music station in NY many during many surveys. There were lots of theories about its downfall, greed and business strategy included. Demographics are a big part too.

Urban Contemporary and Urban Adult Contemporary radio in NY has seen big ratings decline in the last decade. One reason is because NY's Black community is increasingly West Indian and Hatian versus African American, and music preferences are different.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao9999 View Post
Just look at radio and music.

98.7 Kiss-FM was the # 1 rated music station in NY many during many surveys. There were lots of theories about its downfall, greed and business strategy included. Demographics are a big part too.

Urban Contemporary and Urban Adult Contemporary radio in NY has seen big ratings decline in the last decade. One reason is because NY's Black community is increasingly West Indian and Hatian versus African American, and music preferences are different.
Blacks from all backgrounds are not the main consumers of rap. The main consumers of current violent rap are white suburban teens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City