Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 12:48 PM

3 posts, read 86,471 times

Advertisements

I'm a young white female and I recently moved to flatbush. I have not lived in New York before, but my boyfriend assured me the neighborhood was safe. I was told some advice like don't play with your phone walking around, don't show off your electronics, don't walk around late at night. But I still don't know if it is a good idea for me to live in this neighborhood. There have been really nice people, and some scary people. But today I was walking and some guy walking past just came right up to me and punched me. I don't know what to do. Is there anything I should avoid or look out for? Is this a alright neighborhood? There are always lots of kids and old people on my street, but I don't see a lot of white girls my age around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 12:55 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,214,988 times
You recently moved there, already got randomly sucker punched by some street skell, and you're wondering if it's safe for someone like you? I'm gonna go with a 'hell no' on that one.

What street/avenue are you on?

Old 08-30-2013, 12:57 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,312,562 times
If you got randomly punched while walking down the street minding your own business, I'd say that's a good indicator of whether an area is safe enough for you or not.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:02 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,914,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennypasta View Post
I'm a young white female and I recently moved to flatbush. I have not lived in New York before, but my boyfriend assured me the neighborhood was safe. I was told some advice like don't play with your phone walking around, don't show off your electronics, don't walk around late at night. But I still don't know if it is a good idea for me to live in this neighborhood. There have been really nice people, and some scary people. But today I was walking and some guy walking past just came right up to me and punched me. I don't know what to do. Is there anything I should avoid or look out for? Is this a alright neighborhood? There are always lots of kids and old people on my street, but I don't see a lot of white girls my age around here.
These type of threads pop up every now and then and always manage to offend some posters here.

Anyway, my advice is to move out of Flatbush ASAP. It isn't a good area and is in fact, one of the higher crime areas in Brooklyn. There are still a decent amount of safe areas that are affordable in Brooklyn or anywhere else in the city that will be much better for you.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:09 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,363,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
You recently moved there, already got randomly sucker punched by some street skell, and you're wondering if it's safe for someone like you? I'm gonna go with a 'hell no' on that one.

What street/avenue are you on?
Come on man, that depends on where in Flatbush you are at, its not all like that.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:10 PM

Like Bedford and Lenox I was just walking home from the store and a big guy with no shirt just walked past and punched me in the side...

Old 08-30-2013, 01:18 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,214,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Come on man, that depends on where in Flatbush you are at, its not all like that.

I didn't say it's all like that or any of it is like that for all people.

I said that for her, she needs to get outta there IMO.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:26 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,539,204 times
I use to live in East Flatbush in the late 90's. It was a bad, bad hood back then. However , I was a med student at SUNY Downstate and safely hidden in the walled off fortress student dormitory. Only one student in my class of med students lived off campus in east Flastbush... she ended up getting shot in her apt lobby (she lived). Anyone else who didn't live in the dorms lived in other safe parts of brookyn (i.e Park slope) or Manhattan.

I think its time to move. Guiliani/Bloomberg cleaned up the city so someone like you could live in East Flatbush. However, with a probable democrat mayor who will be soft on crime, your white ass will not be safe in East flatbush.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:29 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,914,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Flatbush is a area that definitely isn't for everyone, especially young white females.

Pennypasta, do you have the means to move?

Old 08-30-2013, 01:38 PM

Yes, but it would not be fun. We signed a year lease. I haven't seen a lot of places elsewhere that are 1100-1200 a month. But there sure are a lot available in flatbush!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City