Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 01:22 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,500,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycnyc11209 View Post
Flatbush is mostly 90% African American area. It's red in crime map

best bet is Staten Island.
I'll take Flatbush over SI any day. Especially the part that borderd Kensington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 02:33 PM

954 posts, read 940,780 times
That guys that punched you was just saying hi.

That's how they greet people in Flatbush.

Old 03-02-2017, 03:11 PM

29 posts, read 38,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennypasta View Post
I'm a young white female and I recently moved to flatbush. I have not lived in New York before, but my boyfriend assured me the neighborhood was safe. I was told some advice like don't play with your phone walking around, don't show off your electronics, don't walk around late at night. But I still don't know if it is a good idea for me to live in this neighborhood. There have been really nice people, and some scary people. But today I was walking and some guy walking past just came right up to me and punched me. I don't know what to do. Is there anything I should avoid or look out for? Is this a alright neighborhood? There are always lots of kids and old people on my street, but I don't see a lot of white girls my age around here.
Flatbush, especially East Flatbush, is not a good area! A bunch of gangs in East Flatbush. Didn't you watch Bobby Shmurda's video for Hot N#gga? It shows you pretty much what goes on in that area. If I were you, I would get out quickly.

Cheap rent does not trump safety! When I got my first apartment, it was in a shady neighborhood in the Bronx. Although I blended in with the neighborhood because of my background, aesthetically I didn't blend in. People could tell I wasn't from that area because of how I dressed (business casual), I actually looked like I had a job.

I was extremely uncomfortable. It's also funny because before I moved there, I read on City Data that you should avoid eye contact with people in that neighborhood to prevent confrontations. And when I moved there, I looked at a dude because he kept spitting and it almost hit my shoe, and he yelled at me to "DO SOMETHING!!!!"

When my lease was up, I moved and came to Harlem. Although I'm paying $500 more in rent, I feel so so so much safer and happier! I can actually have friends over without feeling uncomfortable inviting them to my neighborhood.

Old 03-02-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CashMeOutside View Post
Flatbush, especially East Flatbush, is not a good area! A bunch of gangs in East Flatbush. Didn't you watch Bobby Shmurda's video for Hot N#gga? It shows you pretty much what goes on in that area. If I were you, I would get out quickly.

Cheap rent does not trump safety! When I got my first apartment, it was in a shady neighborhood in the Bronx. Although I blended in with the neighborhood because of my background, aesthetically I didn't blend in. People could tell I wasn't from that area because of how I dressed (business casual), I actually looked like I had a job.

I was extremely uncomfortable. It's also funny because before I moved there, I read on City Data that you should avoid eye contact with people in that neighborhood to prevent confrontations. And when I moved there, I looked at a dude because he kept spitting and it almost hit my shoe, and he yelled at me to "DO SOMETHING!!!!"

When my lease was up, I moved and came to Harlem. Although I'm paying $500 more in rent, I feel so so so much safer and happier! I can actually have friends over without feeling uncomfortable inviting them to my neighborhood.
oh man, I'm sorry about that. I didn't know that was you and I was having a bad day...

Really though, that is some funny/scary ish right there (mainly because I can see that happening). That's why these AM I SAFE?!?? Threads crack me up so much. Like there's anything us message board nerds can tell you to keep you safe. It took me many years of growing up in ENY to learn that.

And btw, some liberal mod (probably mad that DEMS lost BIG TIME) deleted my parody thread!! Unfair!! Not good!! SAD!!!

Last edited by Principle Lewis; 03-02-2017 at 08:31 PM..

Old 03-02-2017, 08:45 PM

34,126 posts, read 47,356,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Principle Lewis View Post
oh man, I'm sorry about that. I didn't know that was you and I was having a bad day...

Really though, that is some funny/scary ish right there (mainly because I can see that happening). That's why these AM I SAFE?!?? Threads crack me up so much. Like there's anything us message board nerds can tell you to keep you safe. It took me many years of growing up in ENY to learn that.

And btw, some liberal mod (probably mad that DEMS lost BIG TIME) deleted my parody thread!! Unfair!! Not good!! SAD!!!
That **** was corny and you know it

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-02-2017, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
That **** was corny and you know it
That thread was the largest thread ever and anything to the contrary is just fake news.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:24 AM

29 posts, read 38,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by principle lewis View Post
that thread was the largest thread ever and anything to the contrary is just fake news.
All FAKE news!

Old 03-03-2017, 09:45 AM

15,868 posts, read 14,508,751 times
I'm surprised a lot of these areas haven't been vastly gentrified. They have great transit service into Manhattan, and some nice prewar architecture. I would think it would be a real estate feeding frenzy.

Old 03-03-2017, 01:23 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,500,948 times
Part of Flatbush is already super gentrified. Cortelyou Road near the Kensington border, for instance.

Old 03-03-2017, 01:27 PM

12,791 posts, read 8,313,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Part of Flatbush is already super gentrified. Cortelyou Road near the Kensington border, for instance.
That's a rather poor example. Kensington has always been a good neighborhood. The area near it simply has more amenities than before, but it was never that dangerous to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City