Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 06:40 PM

7 posts, read 103,808 times

Advertisements

I need to find an apartment below $1000 and came across this on the Craigslist:
Flatbush Gardens Area Map of Flatbush Gardens Brooklyn, NY (broken link)

Don't know the area at all. I did an externship at Downstate back in 2000 and at that time the area was NOT something that I would consider comfortable for myself (single female) but things change...

I just can't bear the idea of moving back into Boro Park where I spent 10 years of my graduate school
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2007, 06:58 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,500,015 times
Not a place I'd recommend. Dangerous neighborhood.

Old 10-13-2007, 07:17 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkbk1969 View Post
I need to find an apartment below $1000 and came across this on the Craigslist:
Flatbush Gardens Area Map of Flatbush Gardens Brooklyn, NY (broken link)

Don't know the area at all. I did an externship at Downstate back in 2000 and at that time the area was NOT something that I would consider comfortable for myself (single female) but things change...

I just can't bear the idea of moving back into Boro Park where I spent 10 years of my graduate school
flatbush gardens is formerly vanderveer projects
they're not NYCHA but the buildings were so ****ty people called it the projects
at my old job i went out there 1nce to drop some paperwork off at the managing office.....the taxi driver was so scared that he was almost a block away when i came back out, he tried to leave me lol.
there were horror stories of people having holes in the ceiling so big that they could actually see their upstairs neighbor thru it.....
supposedly its all fixed up now, hence the new name "flatbush gardens"
but im skeptical
either way go check it out, maybe they really did fix it up.
but for the record it was a dangerous development.
2 train to newkirk and nostrand its like a block or 2 away.

Old 10-13-2007, 07:51 PM

1,526 posts, read 5,603,603 times
Holy shmoley, get a load of their website! Looks FABULOUS...rent stabilized renovated apts. Says there's an open house...I'd check it out and probably grab it up right away!

Flatbush Gardens Rental Apartments, Brooklyn NY - Homepage (broken link)

Old 10-13-2007, 08:08 PM

7 posts, read 103,808 times
SeventhFloor, thanks a lot! I did wonder whether it's something like projects... thanks for the info! If a cab driver is too afraid to be parked near the building, I can definitely say this is not a place for me. I have to be able to feel safe coming home alone after midnight...

Old 10-14-2007, 05:09 AM

Yes, but how long ago did this happen? Here's a hint: the development is only accepting those with good housing history, adequate income, NO criminal record of any kind, etc. In other words, they are screening for good solid (probably mostly young) tenants. IMO it is no longer a dangerous development, though who knows what the surrounding areas look like. You'd just have to see.

I encourage folks not to just take the word of people who have not been to an area in awhile, or even in the past 6 to 12 months, or never at all. Incidents that happened a few years ago may be totally irrelevant now.

People, these look like gorgeous, totally renovated rent stabilized, affordble apts not far from Manhattan (or so the site says). Folks like you are going to be moving in there. Again, don't ignore an opportunity staring you in the face due to naysayers. They sometimes exaggerate!!!!! Rent stabilized, people, utilities included!!!! What more do you want...rent control in Disneyland?

Sheesh.

Old 10-14-2007, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvira Black View Post
Yes, but how long ago did this happen? Here's a hint: the development is only accepting those with good housing history, adequate income, NO criminal record of any kind, etc. In other words, they are screening for good solid (probably mostly young) tenants. IMO it is no longer a dangerous development, though who knows what the surrounding areas look like. You'd just have to see.

I encourage folks not to just take the word of people who have not been to an area in awhile, or even in the past 6 to 12 months, or never at all. Incidents that happened a few years ago may be totally irrelevant now.

People, these look like gorgeous, totally renovated rent stabilized, affordble apts not far from Manhattan (or so the site says). Folks like you are going to be moving in there. Again, don't ignore an opportunity staring you in the face due to naysayers. They sometimes exaggerate!!!!! Rent stabilized, people, utilities included!!!! What more do you want...rent control in Disneyland?

Sheesh.
dont get me wrong the OP should still go check it out....however u never know how many of the old tenants are still there, and i just provided background info. as for the cab driver incident this was prolly about 5 years ago. but by all means check it out and report back to us.

Old 10-14-2007, 06:43 AM

Yes, many of these areas are changing VERY quickly. It is very likely that all the old tenants are gone, or on their way out. This will likely create a snowball effect as more folks venture there, the area gets even more "developed" and gentrified, etc.

The management cannot afford to charge Manhattan rents at this point, but they are definitely not going to let in anyone who does not have solid income and credit status. May actually be out of reach of some of the posters here, but not all.

There is no area in NYC that does not have housing projects, even near the "best" areas. I think there is a new era coming--bad for the poor, better for the middle class.

Thanks, SeventhFloor...just didn't want to scare the OP off before she had a chance to check it out. Looks well worth it, and offhand I don't remember Flatbush being touted as the most dangerous area in the city, but admittedly I have very little knowlege of Brooklyn--other than that it is being very rapidly gentrified.

Old 10-14-2007, 06:53 AM

well i will say that its not the worst area in flatbush...nostrand ave is actually kinda tame in that area for flatbush standards and behind "flatbush gardens" is 1 family houses. theres a public school to the south of it and nostrand ave is a mix of commercial and residential. and just to give a little more background, the development is like a big square with new york ave and foster ave splitting it into four little squares. so when the cab driver left me, i was at the corner of new york and foster right smack in the middle. so maybe it was a little intimidating for him. but **** that he drives a cab in brooklyn! why should he be scared? lol

the worst part of flatbush is that corridor of flatbush ave from about ditmas going down to about lincoln road and the side streets off flatbush extending westward to ocean avenue. dont believe the hype about gentrification around prospect park on the Q train stop (ocean ave and lincoln road) at night time especially it can still be dangerous. lot of drugs and wild west indian immigrants who dont respect america's laws (i'm of west indian descent so i cant talk lol).

Old 10-14-2007, 09:28 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,191,917 times
I know this area well. Have friends there. Personally, I'd tread very carefully. Check the area out at all times of day and night and especially in the summer. While I agree with Elvira Black that one shouldn't listen to strangers, I disagree with the idea that gentrification will inevitably spread to all corners. Some places have intractable problems. Anyway, the OP isn't looking for a long-term investment. And in the short term I don't think this is an area she will enjoy. But again, the OP has to go and check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City