Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 07:21 AM

3 posts, read 9,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboy22 View Post
I grew Up in brooklyn and I will be the first one to tell you that Flatbush gardens although not 100% safe, its so much better than what it use to be. Most of the time the so called thugs of the area will not bother you. Remember their young kids and if you just say a simple whats up in passing, you'd be surprised at what you would get back. Remember the only white people they encounter are ether cops or school staff, and you know cops in New York are not so friendly at times. Once they know who you are and you don't act stuck up or afraid they will look out for you. Also if your looking for an area that is perhaps not as hard core but still has good rents you should go a little more north into the Erasmus area, Thats the Church Ave stop on the 2 or the 5 train. The area is mostly West Indians. Rent may be a little more than Flatbush Gardens but its most def safer.
yeah right flatbush gardens is not safe i dont care what part you think is safe it is not so stop fooling yourdelf i think you are the managment or a broker trying to convinve it is safe living there that is why police sitt outside with there guns drawn because of the roof top target practice on them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 05:25 PM

1 posts, read 3,037 times
Well I visited the Flatbush Garden but I did not find much to have change. I use to stay over there when I was a child and I still see some of the same things going on. Rats running on the counter top in people apartments as if they are paying rent. People smoking things that are illegal to smoke right under people windows. People using the bathroom in the elevators and the locks broken. Fighting and aruging going on in the courtyards and police or security walking by as if they do not see it. People getting shot on the corners and people eating and throwing their trash on the ground. The only thing that has change is the play ground that was added for the children to play in; however, that is not even safe as of today. Children are running around using bad language against one another, and parents are right there and think it is okay for their child to talk that way. People children are disrespecting elderly people or adults in general without any reguards for others. People do not have respect for other people property in Flatbush Garden. If this is what they call making a change then they have a long way to go. Far as I'm concer nothing has really change and it would be the last place that I would want to live or either raise my family. Some time cheaper is not better and as the saying goes, "You Pay For What You get". I am glad that I made it out of there and I recommend that other do the same if they want to live better.

TD

Old 06-21-2011, 06:07 PM

87 posts, read 204,832 times
Some pockets are a little sketchy but overall I like Flatbush and it's never been a neighborhood I would avoid for safety reasons!

Old 06-22-2011, 05:05 PM

337 posts, read 968,861 times
Unsafe for anyone who is not black! The cops will bother you more than the drug dealers that loiter on every corner because they will look at you as a white guy trying to score drugs. I know my brother in law is a cop in brooklyn.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:45 AM

961 posts, read 2,464,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el77 View Post
Unsafe for anyone who is not black! The cops will bother you more than the drug dealers that loiter on every corner because they will look at you as a white guy trying to score drugs. I know my brother in law is a cop in brooklyn.

Once again you're talking about a neighborhood in Brooklyn you know nothing about. Flatbush is a huge neighborhood, probably the biggest one in BK. There are a few blocks which are not safe late at night but most of it is ok, especially the areas around Ditmas Park and Prospect Park.

I know quite a few white people who live in Flatbush off of Parkside ave, they say they are never harassed. Not to mention I have family there and am in the area frequently.

But the cops can be overzealous though, I'll give you that. I would stay away from Flatbush Gardens also, to me its still Vanderveer nothing has changed but the name. Its not only undesireable due to crime but also residents complain of poor maintenance and service.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:56 PM

5 posts, read 10,048 times
What I don't get is if it's that bad MOVE OUT!!!!!!

Old 02-28-2012, 12:39 PM

62 posts, read 187,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twist07 View Post
Once again you're talking about a neighborhood in Brooklyn you know nothing about. Flatbush is a huge neighborhood, probably the biggest one in BK. There are a few blocks which are not safe late at night but most of it is ok, especially the areas around Ditmas Park and Prospect Park.

I know quite a few white people who live in Flatbush off of Parkside ave, they say they are never harassed. Not to mention I have family there and am in the area frequently.

But the cops can be overzealous though, I'll give you that. I would stay away from Flatbush Gardens also, to me its still Vanderveer nothing has changed but the name. Its not only undesireable due to crime but also residents complain of poor maintenance and service.
Flatbush definitly isn't one of the biggest neighborhoods in Brooklyn. Thou what ignorant people don't know is that Flatbush has a sub section called Ditmas Park (starts south from Beverly Road and west of Flatbush Av) where there are tree lined blocks with huge Victorian style houses. That section is heavily mixed with Whites, Blacks, and South East Asians.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:45 PM

Angry Flatbash Garders Union Cleaner SUCKS

Now that the union workers are back at Flatbash Gardens the buildings are NOT CLEAN PORPERLY. PLEASE bring back the other non-union worker. UNOIN WORKERS HERE ARE LAZY.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:58 PM

@ Educate T. The nasty people apartment ppl you visit where rat run on counter don't say all Flatbush Gardens apartment.
To all who read this and looking to rent here Is not bad at all there on nasty ppl here but there is penty Clean ppl here have been here 1yr now I never seen rats, mice or roaches. The rent is cheap and all utilities included with rent you could not go wrong here. Now that the union worker are back they are not cleaning they lazy. we do need the non-union workers back. but it doesn't mean your apt will be dirty unless your not a clean person. If your clean then your apt be clean.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:33 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,627,689 times
Flatbush Gardens is still "Vanderveer Estates" to me, always and will be. I had a friend that lived there back in the mid 80's, while I didn't fell afraid, it wasn't a nice place......Today the buildings look the same, but I haven't been in the complex in years, but I would not buy an apartment there......ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City