Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 12:12 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,857,739 times

Advertisements

I remember one time riding the subway with my Aunt that was a senior, she has sinced passed on. She hadn't rode the subway in years before this time we were riding together. Before she retired for many years she could walk to work.

She commented on how dirty the subway was and asked when did it start looking like that? I asked in return, didn't it always look like that? Since as long as I could remember that is the way it looked. Honestly to me it looks much better than it did in the 70's. But she answered that in the 1930's - 1950's there would be men cleaning the tiles on the walls. They would shut a line down for while and they would be down in tracks with cleaning brushes on extended poles cleaning the tiles and they would clean the platforms with soap with and water, as well as the entrances and upper level areas. She said the subway was always clean.

This led into a further conversation of how clean the city was in general. She said when she was going to high school she lived in Harlem and had a parttime job in the South Bronx in Mott Haven in a professional laundry. She spoke about how clean both neighborhoods were, and commented that back then it didn't matter the ethnic /racial group that was the majority in an area, or how wealthy or poor an area was, it was clean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 12:51 PM

338 posts, read 676,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
The other day, at 59th/Columbus, a woman with several small children in tow tossed a McDonald's bag onto the platform just as the doors closed. I had not seen that for a while.

So ... in order to maintain cleanliness, we would need some sort of social contract is my guess.

Yup. Or you'll see people eating in the cars, throwing their trash onto the floor. I saw a teenage girl eating peanuts and just dumping the shells all over the floor. Perhaps the MTA could increase revenue by stationing officers in cars who could issue citations for behavior like that.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:54 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,857,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee1995 View Post
Yup. Or you'll see people eating in the cars, throwing their trash onto the floor. I saw a teenage girl eating peanuts and just dumping the shells all over the floor. Perhaps the MTA could increase revenue by stationing officers in cars who could issue citations for behavior like that.
Would the citation cover the cost of the officer's salary that is writing the citation?

Old 07-15-2013, 12:55 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,577,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee1995 View Post

I also saw a teenage girl eating peanuts and sunflower seeds and dumping them all on the floor. I was disgusted. She looked like a difficult girl.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:02 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
Would the citation cover the cost of the officer's salary that is writing the citation?
What I heard about that from sanitation:
The kinds of people who litter and dump garbage (think: here, not illegal contractors ...) usually have some problems. If "we" issue them a ticket, "we" need to track them down, drag them to court when they do not pay, and then spend more tax money enforcing the whole thing. And in the end, they never pay anyway. If "we" took it to the extent of jail time, well, more $$$.
One team of guys told me that it is cheaper to just clean up after them.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:02 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,496,338 times
I never had the desire to eat on the train...lol. Or a bus for that matter.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:03 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,246,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
Do we think that banning food in the subway would make a difference? In DC for example you can be fined.

In a previous thread I recall people argued that their commute was the only possible time in their day to eat....
Im all for banning food in the subway. Its disgusting, like eating in the bathroom.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:11 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,577,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
Im all for banning food in the subway. Its disgusting, like eating in the bathroom.

I'm reminded of that video of the woman throwing her spaghetti at someone on the subway when they commented on her eating it.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:20 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,496,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
Exactly!

Old 07-15-2013, 01:23 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,246,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
I'm reminded of that video of the woman throwing her spaghetti at someone on the subway when they commented on her eating it.
The food culture has deteriorated in this country. She was fighting and eating at the sametime. In the midwest they drive electric scooters from a buffet table to the next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City