Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 09:18 AM

2,727 posts, read 2,832,514 times

Advertisements

No sense in doing so bc of many of the people in NY. Certain people in ny make it nearly impossible for ny to have nice things without them ruined. It only takes a couple days after a beautiful renovation for people to **** all over it, throw trash everywhere, etc for it to get back to its current sht hole status
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 09:27 AM

206 posts, read 294,311 times
In London there are direction signs everywhere and I didn't get lost once on my first visit. I never waited more than a few minutes for a train. They have floor to ceiling glass walls that prevent people from entering the tracks, the doors line up with the train doors and open simultaneously. You know those new electronic signs that tell you when the next train is coming? London had them in every station that I saw. They were CLEAN.

That was 2008.

Like others have said MTA corruption is the main culprit. The only thing that changes is the fares. Service remains the same, cleanliness remains the same, (in)convenience remains the same.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:53 AM

45 posts, read 74,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Vigoda View Post
Like others have said MTA corruption is the main culprit. The only thing that changes is the fares. Service remains the same, cleanliness remains the same, (in)convenience remains the same.
Mostly agree, but service is not the same. It is getting worse all the time, especially in the outer boroughs.

Old 07-14-2013, 12:15 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
And FYI, they do spend a fortune in renovating. They do it one station at a time, it takes forever, and it costs a fortune
And when they're done, the station looks pretty much the same as it did before.

Old 07-14-2013, 12:34 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
I don't mind how the NYC subway stations look. It actually fits the character of the city. Sure I'd love something like in DC, but it has never bothered me.

I'd much rather it stay the same than have major service cutbacks or stop running 24/7. I guess I'm in the minority as I have never found them to be all that dirty. Only the bathrooms.

Old 07-14-2013, 12:52 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Quote:
In London there are direction signs everywhere and I didn't get lost once on my first visit. I never waited more than a few minutes for a train. They have floor to ceiling glass walls that prevent people from entering the tracks, the doors line up with the train doors and open simultaneously. You know those new electronic signs that tell you when the next train is coming? London had them in every station that I saw. They were CLEAN.

That was 2008.

Only one line has that , the rest have no doors. Only new or upgraded lines will have them,

Old 07-14-2013, 12:59 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I guess I'm in the minority as I have never found them to be all that dirty. Only the bathrooms.
In which city ? You cannot mean New York.

I have never encountered anyone who has visited public subway bathrooms, except for some sort of study or art project.

I think only around a dozen (or fewer) exist in Manhattan. Anyone know ?

Old 07-14-2013, 01:41 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
In which city ? You cannot mean New York.

I have never encountered anyone who has visited public subway bathrooms, except for some sort of study or art project.

I think only around a dozen (or fewer) exist in Manhattan. Anyone know ?
Yes, I am talking about New York. The one time I went in a NYC subway station bathroom, it was dirty as hell.

Old 07-14-2013, 02:43 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,578,360 times
Default Two different sets of books I've heard

Why doesn't the MTA make the stations on the subway look better?

Because MTA doesn't care...all they care about is the money. They have the "take the money and RUN mentality". With the millions of riders they have daily, even on weekends, at $2.50 a trip, there has to be embezzling going on because only that would explain where all the money is going and why they even raised the fare to begin with. I forgot to add: bad, inept, incompetent management of MTA is another culprit. Theft and bad management = perfect marriage for MTA. You heard it hear first folks!

Last edited by Klassyhk; 07-14-2013 at 02:49 PM.. Reason: forgot to add

Old 07-14-2013, 02:54 PM

34,008 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:

That was 2008.

Wow they have that now? They didn't have those walls when I was last there in 1998. They did have the LED signs in every station though to let you know when the next train was coming.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City