Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 05:18 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,724,668 times

Advertisements

ctman 1987--I agree with you 100%. where are you from originally? You show very good insight. The area is very safe more or less.

happyfunball-no, nothing was actually in the cart--i just came into the store and the dollar section is right in the beginning of the store. my normal thing is to get irritable on a friday afternoon around my coffee time after work. my reaction to an event like that(it's annoying to find your cart gone especially when there are none others in the store at the moment) is to react with NONVERBAL hostility so the guy probably picked up on my nonverbals and figured i was a bad guy. he probably is an agitated type and looks for trouble
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 02:19 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,804,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctman1987 View Post
I go to school at Manhattan College at around Broadway & 242nd, right by the last stop on the 1. Granted there is a differance beteween the mansions in Fieldston and Broadway in Kingsbridge, Kingsbridge is in no way a bad area, especially when compared to other areas of the Bronx.

Obviouslly this is the city and you do need to be careful. Take normal precautions such as watching your back and not walking alone at night but overall I at least feel very safe on Broadway from Marble Hill (Bronx/Manhattan whatever you want to call it) by Target at 225th all the way up Broadway past 250th street.

The shopping districts in Kingsbridge are ethnically differant (in some cases) then some of the retail and residential neighborhoods in Riverdale. Theres more a hustle and bustle down in Kingsbridge - partially due to space constraints due to the above-ground subway but nevertheless I personally feel safe in this entire area.
Give it time, a growing low income Dominican population is starting/already to call Kingsbridge home. Much of Kingsbridge Heights opposite the Major Deegan has already declined and the Marble Hill Houses are located just to the south of the neighborhood. It's already a sketchy area late at night around the El and has it's moments.

Most of the violent crime that takes place in the 50th precinct goes down in Kingsbridge Heights, the Marble Hill Houses, and to a leser extent Kingsbridge.

The people rlrl encountered in the store are the kind of people moving into that area. The kind of people that have been.

Old 11-03-2007, 07:42 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,724,668 times
The Kingsbridge Heights area like Bailey Avenue, K'bridge terrace, Heath Ave around 230th and south, seemed to have that "slum" look from faraway or when viewed from the Major Deegan. I noticed this as long ago as in the late 70's. Yet when viewed up close it definitely looks changed but I'm not sure if it can be called a "slum" or not. I recalled seeing an abandoned house at Bailey and 193rd(I think it's been restored) and i always wondered was this a blight that crept up from further south?

Old 11-04-2007, 01:15 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,804,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
The Kingsbridge Heights area like Bailey Avenue, K'bridge terrace, Heath Ave around 230th and south, seemed to have that "slum" look from faraway or when viewed from the Major Deegan. I noticed this as long ago as in the late 70's. Yet when viewed up close it definitely looks changed but I'm not sure if it can be called a "slum" or not. I recalled seeing an abandoned house at Bailey and 193rd(I think it's been restored) and i always wondered was this a blight that crept up from further south?
Ghettos have nothing to do with abandoned buildings/houses. Why do people always think that?

NYC is different from other cities, there is an affordable housing shortage and overpopulation. So the poor are getting pushed into certain areas. Filling in abandoned properties. Already have filled in a ton of formally vacant property.

The fact is the area (Kingsbridge Heights) income wise is a lot poorer compared to 17 years ago. Especially considering the rise in living cost. Kingsbridge is also poorer but not as significantly as Kingsbridge Heights. Of course yes that poverty has crept north from the poverty pockets to the south of these neighborhoods and is slowly swallowing those areas whole. This is why the community of home owners (and real estate) in the northern tip of Kingsbridge Heights along Van Courtland Park renamed that pocket (Van Courtlandt Village). To seperate themselves from the decline in the rest of the neighborhood. A real estate tactic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: