Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2009, 08:30 AM

2 posts, read 4,283 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I need to get to stamford on a friday afternoon from Fort Lee, NJ. I am guessing it probably does not make sense to drive the whole way but might be a better idea to park by a station in the Bronx and then take the metro north to the bronx. I checked the schedule and I see that the train to stamford stops at Fordham and 125th in manhattan. Would it stop at any other stops? Is there parking by either the Fordham or 125th street stations? Does it make more sense to drive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 08:59 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,809,216 times
Take GW Bridge which is I-95. I-95 all the way. Couldn't be simpler.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:03 AM

2 posts, read 4,283 times
Yes, but wouldnt there be traffic on i95 going to ct on a friday afternoon? what about taking 87 and then cutting over to 95 later?

Old 08-11-2009, 09:17 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,809,216 times
There's traffic on I95 most of the time, given its the main north/south road for New England and specifically CT. You've got the traffic heading to Boston and beyond, and the regular commuter traffic, as well as local traffic. It's a total mess!

Yes, you can take the Merritt Parkway, lots of people do, quite a bit more scenic; and cut over on the 104 or 15 to Stamford. A lot of folk would say this is the preferred route. There's no commercial traffic on the Merritt, but you're still not guaranteed a delay free trip.

CT just doesn't have enough roads!! So, its just the luck of the draw.

Of course, you could always take Highway 1.

I kinda perfer 1, but then I'm a seriously made crazy driver. I drive like a shark, gotta always be moving! Yes, there are lights, but I'll take 1 until local traffic becomes annoying, then I'll cut over to 95 or even the Merritt. If any of those backup I'm off at the first exit and back to 1 or the other road.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:37 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times
Default you don't have to take I 95 all the way

once you get over the GWB you can take the H Hudson Pkwy north(toll to get into Riverdale) until it reaches the Saw Mill River pkwy. take exit 4 (Cross County Pkwy) off the Saw Mill. then the Cross County into the Hutchinson River Pkwy north. if you are going to the Merritt stay on the Hutch, if you are going to I 95 take I 287 east into I 95 north

There will be traffic on a Friday afternoon for sure but it is a more pleasant route than I95 as there are no trucks on the parkways

You could also take the palisades Pkwy into 9W up to the Tappan Zee bridge and then take 287 across to I 95 or the Hutch

Old 08-11-2009, 09:42 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
From the GWB, take the Henry Husdon Parkway to the Cross County Parkway in Yonkers. Follow the Cross County Parkway to the Hutchinson River Parkway (branch to the left near the end of the CC Pwy). The Hutch will turn into the Merritt at the Connecticut line and is CT-15 (just to be clear since it seemed an earlier post was referencing an exit to 15). Take the exit for Long Ridge Road, CT-104. Follow Long Ridge Road to a traffic light at Cold Spring Road (look for the sign for CT-137), which is just past a shopping plaza on your left. This will be a right turn, and the road then changes name within a couple of blocks and becomes Washington Boulevard and will take you right to the heart of Stamford. CT-137 is known as High Ridge Road and makes a turn near where the CT-104 and CT-137 come together, hence the same road is known as Cold Spring Road.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City