Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 03:50 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,585,763 times

Advertisements

You know I don't think its a NYC or Bronx thing anymore, people are just getting nastier and nastier. The general atmosphere not only in NYC but nationwide, people are getting very self-centered, no doubt, this gentleman would have started a fight with you, even though you didn't accuse or demand the cart back, people just aren't polite anymore.

I probably would have walked away myself, not wanting to get attacked or worse. Sorry that it affected your Friday afternoon coffee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 05:36 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,673,781 times
well you don't have to apologize, bit i do appreciate the empathy. I think i just was shocked that someone would act in that way, especially after living in the area for many years. I think what happened is that my illusion of safety was shattered at the moment. Thanks for the comment

Old 10-28-2007, 06:07 PM

67 posts, read 319,587 times
Was just in Kingsbridge this afternoon doing some shopping down on Broadway and didnt have any ordeals. Guess you must just have some bad luck rirl.

Also Kingsbridge is a very nice area and I have never experienced any problems when doing my shopping there so lets not classify people in Kingsbridge as "ghetto" considering just minutes from Kingsbridge you can be in the heart of Riverdale and its million dollar estates and top notch private schools.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:52 PM

842 posts, read 4,308,550 times
I've been to the 231st St. station on the 1 train and it is Nice.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:14 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,366,147 times
Yeah but there's a huge difference between Kingsbridge and Riverdale. Thats like comparing apples and oranges. You think the same type of people live on Broadway in Kingsbridge as live in Fieldston in Riverdale? C'mon, thats absurd. Its two different worlds entirely. Living up on that hill is very different from the surrounding areas.

Anyways I think most people in Riverdale shop in their area. Johnson ave has all of those nice restaurants. If I lived over there I think I would probably gain 10 lbs just from eating soo much

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctman1987 View Post
Was just in Kingsbridge this afternoon doing some shopping down on Broadway and didnt have any ordeals. Guess you must just have some bad luck rirl.

Also Kingsbridge is a very nice area and I have never experienced any problems when doing my shopping there so lets not classify people in Kingsbridge as "ghetto" considering just minutes from Kingsbridge you can be in the heart of Riverdale and its million dollar estates and top notch private schools.

Old 10-28-2007, 10:43 PM

1,526 posts, read 5,602,829 times
Man oh man, what an ordeal...I know how it is when you have to get that gourmet coffee fix in the "ghetto" (Mead's words).

Old 10-28-2007, 10:47 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,366,147 times
I said that the people can be ghetto there. I think you're just in a bad mood tonight.

EDIT:

Lets compare the areas

Kingsbridge:

Fieldston, Riverdale:

Notice the difference?

Being up on that hill, while very close by in terms of geography, is a world away in my opinion.

Old 10-29-2007, 05:42 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,673,781 times
I live on Broadway and 252 street which is basically down the hill from the Fieldston picture in the preeceeding post,--it's not like the picture attached in the above Fieldston post--it's small rentals and co-ops, walk ups, houses, lots of Irish Americans and native Irish--you don't see those who live in the mansions unless they're just passing thorugh the area

The tone of the area I live in is somewhere between the urban hustle/ bustle of K'bridge and the suburban sprawl of Fieldston in the pic above.

When I want a quick fix of food or coffee or to shop, I opt for Broadway in Kingsbridge instead of Johnson Ave(reminds me of Morris Park Ave) even though the latter is more pleasant. I think prices are lower and parking actually easier and more of a chance of getting a free spot

As for the "ghetto", I never had a problem with anyone in K'bridge or Marble Hill. And though I don't consider myself prejudiced(I work with many many non-caucasians both as co-workers and as clients), honestly I thought that my first bad experience with someone in that area would be with a non-white person but what happened Friday was with a white person.

I'm over it now, but the day it happened I felt a great need to share it here on the board

Old 10-30-2007, 03:29 PM

6 posts, read 28,599 times
Default Contents of the cart

Had you placed anything in the cart (thing you were going to buy, or your purse) when it was taken away?

Old 10-30-2007, 03:43 PM

67 posts, read 319,587 times
I go to school at Manhattan College at around Broadway & 242nd, right by the last stop on the 1. Granted there is a differance beteween the mansions in Fieldston and Broadway in Kingsbridge, Kingsbridge is in no way a bad area, especially when compared to other areas of the Bronx.

Obviouslly this is the city and you do need to be careful. Take normal precautions such as watching your back and not walking alone at night but overall I at least feel very safe on Broadway from Marble Hill (Bronx/Manhattan whatever you want to call it) by Target at 225th all the way up Broadway past 250th street.

The shopping districts in Kingsbridge are ethnically differant (in some cases) then some of the retail and residential neighborhoods in Riverdale. Theres more a hustle and bustle down in Kingsbridge - partially due to space constraints due to the above-ground subway but nevertheless I personally feel safe in this entire area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: