Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 10:39 AM

620 posts, read 1,072,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
any area where the hasiddic jews live is depressing beyond belief.

blech !!!
Haha !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 10:43 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,463,557 times
The Financial District on a Saturday afternoon is kinda depressing. Dead except for tourists. Though narrow streets combined with skyscrapers are neat to look at.

Any of the corporate plaza type places as well.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:52 AM

145 posts, read 334,447 times
penn station area. most of bushwick/bed stuy. sunset park, esp near lutheran.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:57 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,637,625 times
I recommend everyone visit Wakefield.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:05 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,557,894 times
I find Stuy Town depressing, but only visually.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:28 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,240,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
I recall Bed-Stuy (Halsey st) from a few years ago being there in the dead of winter later at night. it was very run down, And the dirty ice and snow on the ground made it look worse with homeless camped out under the subway. Very sad. Much of that area is supposedly gentrified a lot in the last few years.

Parkchester I recall being there and it was run down as well. Burned out buildings, roving gangs etc. I never thought i would get through the subway ride unscathed. Train had all sorts of characters, 2 drinking beer right out in the open.

Most cities have run-down, high crime areas that become wastelands, Without getting political here.

Parkchester?!

Don't think that area was ever that bad

Old 01-14-2013, 11:42 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,126,249 times
The areas around the abandoned former psychiatric and smallpox hospitals on Roosevelt Island are depressing. Smallpox Hospital, Roosevelt Island | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Roosevelt Island - New York City, New York | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Old 01-14-2013, 11:42 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,072,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
Hold your horses everyone!! I'm not being a "Debbie downer" here. I know some of you (especially people new to NYC) find it inconceivable to put depressing and NYC in the same category, same sentence. However, fact of the matter is that same areas of NYC are just down right depressing. Since its a gloomy day, I decided its a good topic to speak on some lame, uninteresting, boring, miserable parts of NYC.

I feel Wakefield area in the Bronx (especially 241st) wins "Most Miserable NYC" award. Its far away from Manhattan or anything cool for that matter and there's NO, NADA, ZIP, ZILCH redeeming value for being far away from Manhattan (or Brooklyn and Queens for that matter). There's no good eateries, parks, and forget about having any sense of art here. There's not even a sense of community. However, its a ghetto wonderland. Especially during the spring and summer. Prostitutes can be seen as early as 6am while kids are on their way to school, crack heads can be seen walking up and down the strip of 241st White Plains road OR in your apartment building lobby, hallway or stair case doing what they do best. The moment you step out the train station on 241st, you're hounded by low life scum trying to get you taxi service, whom are NOT even licensed and have the audacity to charge you as much as a regular cabbie or more!! Don't be surprised if they speak to a prostitute on the way.

You can also witness a bunch of hood rats and infidels who don't even live in your building loiter in front or i ittill the break of dawn. Fights, gun shots, everything a true "hood" is made out of defines that cesspool. It also borders the crap side of Mount Vernon so that's additional misery. Everyone is cold, unfriendly, and just plain rude.

There's just truly nothing to do in Wakefield at all unless you want to live out in a ghetto, cesspool, wonderland. Sometimes I wish the Cloverfield monster would eradicate that area and hopefully decent people can come back and start over.

What is the lousiest NYC area to you?
Wakefield is only really bad around White Plains Road and the couple pf blocks on either side.If you go 4 or 5 blocks to the East of White Plains Road in Wakefield there are a lot of nice blocks with some very nice houses.

A lot of Wakefield looks like this:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=4323+g...ZzXmoG88O8fLYA

Not that awful by NYC standards at all ,although I agree that the area near White Plains Road is the pits.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:44 AM

34,076 posts, read 47,269,417 times
Queensbridge Houses. It always looks gloomy, day or night.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-14-2013, 11:54 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,240,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Wakefield is only really bad around White Plains Road and the couple pf blocks on either side.If you go 4 or 5 blocks to the East of White Plains Road in Wakefield there are a lot of nice blocks with some very nice houses.

A lot of Wakefield looks like this:

4323 gunther ave,bronx,ny - Google Maps

Not that awful by NYC standards at all ,although I agree that the area near White Plains Road is the pits.
Yeah most of it is actually ho-hum suburby. But people don't remember that. What grabs their attention and sticks in their head is the bad stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City