Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 11:34 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,375,086 times

Advertisements

I think your attitude is what the former Chairman of the Federal Reserve, Alan Greenspan, called "irrational exuberance."

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I don't see the vast majority of the Bronx getting any better in the near future. If anything many decent neighborhoods (Morris Park for example) might get a lot worse in the short term.

The South Bronx is filled up with housing projects. Developes can't do anything about the PJs (spruce them up or jack up the rent and kick people out). Housing projects are cancers in the neighborhoods in which they are situated. I can't see this situation changing anytime soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 11:53 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,605,472 times
Greenspan recently said that it doesn't look like we'll be headed for a recession after all, btw.... I think the irrational exuberance is more applicable to those who rushed into areas that were above their means and went into foreclosure, as well as flippers who lost out--hence the market corrections currently taking place in the US. However, NYC still seems to be an exception to the rule in many cases. If anything, the luxe housing market in Manhattan may be taking a bit of a downturn, as some newly constructed condos are not selling as briskly as first thought, so some are converting to rentals.

Yes, there are housing projects in the Bronx, but they are also in every other borough, and as I say, people have ways of "working around them."

I think that some areas may temporarily get more of an influx of poorer folks being pushed out of other areas, but in all likelihood it may not last long. But I guess we'll just have to see...it will probably take considerably more time for the Bronx to "prosper" compared with the other boroughs, but I see firsthand the changes that are taking place.

There may also be some more vestiges of racial/socioeconomic tension afoot, as some here can already attest to. Minorities living in some of these areas feel threatened when they see whites moving in, even if few and far between--if I were them I'd be apprehensive too.

Again, I personally hope that the Bronx doesn't go too much in the other direction, but considering that much of the ubiquitous regular housing/apartment stock (not the projects) already in existence is really up for "grabs," I predict the Bronx will continue to develop apace, at least to some degree.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:13 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,257,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvira Black View Post
I wouldn't count on more Dominicans moving in indefinitely if things continue the way they seem to be going...
It seems to me like this area is getting more Dominican by the minute. But yeah you do have a point about the Pinnacle group and etc. So the Dominican increase might level off at some point.

Anyway I just want some better bodegas and more variety.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:35 AM

13,656 posts, read 20,797,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
I think your attitude is what the former Chairman of the Federal Reserve, Alan Greenspan, called "irrational exuberance."

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I don't see the vast majority of the Bronx getting any better in the near future. If anything many decent neighborhoods (Morris Park for example) might get a lot worse in the short term.

The South Bronx is filled up with housing projects. Developes can't do anything about the PJs (spruce them up or jack up the rent and kick people out). Housing projects are cancers in the neighborhoods in which they are situated. I can't see this situation changing anytime soon.
I think this is the traditional point where Guywithacause and Hustla enter the room, bow, activate their lightsabres and proceed to fight it out.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:55 AM

LOL--funny, but I haven't seen hide nor hair of either in awhile....

Old 10-15-2007, 10:57 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,257,592 times
Well I'm no clairvoyant but the reality is money is being invested by developers spread out throughout the Bronx. The Bronx is one of the few spots left in the city where they can still make a real killing.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:19 PM

Bingo, MooYowkur...your moniker is well deserved.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:21 PM

Lol---MooYowkur...there I goes again with those pesky Freudian typos!

What would a MooYowkur be--someone who milks cows at the Queens Farm museum, perhaps?

Old 10-17-2007, 01:41 PM

67 posts, read 353,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
I think I should repost this:
YouTube - Bronx Bodega its pretty funny and if anybody from outside the area is reading this they'll be understand what we're talking about.

The bodegas in my area are decent enough. I pop in there probably at least a couple times of week, usually to pick up beer, soda, chips.

Now while we can all make light of this situation, I think its important to remember that there are still a lot of areas in the city that don't have a nearby grocery store, and the people there have to rely on their bodega. There was actually a study done back in the day that showed a direct correlation between a lack of a regular grocery store in a neighborhood and a decline in the nutrition and quality of life of the people living in the surrounding area. This is because most bodegas in poorer or middle class areas a limited supply of produce, if any, and usually don't have any meat (not counting spam, meat patties, or something like that).

I luckily have a C-Town 4-5 blocks down the street from me. So, I do just about all of my grocery shopping there, and whatever the C-Town doesn't have I can usually find at the local pharmacy nextdoor.

I thank God for the C-town in my neighborhood because the next nearest grocery store is about a 10 minute drive away which isn't such a big deal, but the service at C-Town is much better. I can usually walk into C-town grab some stuff and get thru the checkout line in a couple of minutes. If I go to the Shoprite down the road from me its always really crowded with people bumping into each other and the checkout lines take 15-30 minutes to get thru (even late at night).

Also I think keeping Walmart out of the city is more symbolic at this point than anything else. We already have Target here. In reality what is the difference between Walmart and Target? Target is a tad bit more upscale than Walmart, but not by much. I think they were supposed to build a Target up in Spanish Harlem. Did that place ever get built?
I remember reading Curbed dot com earlier this year, and they mentioned having Home Depot as the flagship of the East Harlem River Mall (by the FDR on 116th you can see the construction). Target is supposed to be on the second floor.
FCRC-East River Plaza

It’s about time. I see a lot of Manhattanites going to Target in 225th street. It’s always so crowded, and the things I want always runs out. Even Queens’ Target isn’t that bad.

Downtown Manhattan has Kmart, but I guess they have different lines of brands. Like Martha Stewart and etc..

Last edited by fsval; 10-17-2007 at 02:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: